Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Will it fly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Shockdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will it fly?

Here is my first hombuilt rc jet built out of elmers foam board, not built from plans but from imagination, scary huh?

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76516.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1170947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24583.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1170948  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Shockdriver

Default RE: Will it fly?

PS: still have to order new ESC and tape servo wires.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Shockdriver

if it doesnt look professional your right im only 15.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good to me.

Hop over to the Scale kit foamies & find out where the COG balance point should be for the F-22 or the Y-22 plane. I would glue a top profile piece of foam & a bottom profile piece of foam. They will protect the RC gear AND make the plane fly straight.

Good job
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Aircraftfreak15

dose ur dad fly?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Shockdriver

No, he says he has better things to do and really just doesn't hve the time. He used to fly warbirds when he was a kid but when his dad died he kinda drifted away.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

nicely built shockdriver. my kinda guy right there. i build incredible amounts of planes. most important things ive learned building things that fly is this. center of gravity is key, i usually build it without the electronics in it and mark the CG. then i test glide it without any of the components on it to see if the components need to be located forward or rearward. then i add them to it. another big issue is making sure theres enough thrust to push it forward fast enough to make the surface area of it create lift. i used to think scratch building planes was so impossible until i just tried it. first one i built i used the electronics out of a blade cx-2 helicopter and used a wing from an aerobird commander, along with a balsa wood fuse with foam board for the rudder and elevator. took it out to the field and guess what? it flew. and it flew surprisingly well. it had great control and lift. i was so entertained by the fact that i build something out of a bunch of parts that i forgot to pay attention where i was flying and tragedy hit. flew it right into a tree. luckily i had a friend with me that helped me spend about an hour throwing things up at it that i got the electronics back. the plane didnt survive but the flight alone was all i needed to realize jut how fun it can be building planes. but id say you did a great job on it. looks like a f-22a raptor to me. not sure if that was your intention or not. but give it a go. if it fails to fly or flies horribly dont get discouraged, use the info as experience and learn from it. and in no time at all youll be doing hat i do, buying planes and looking at them unlike most peope do. with the eye of what if! good luck with your maiden, let us know how shes goes, chris
Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Shockdriver

thanks chris your awesome!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
3DSAVAGE

very nice build, especially from imagination. i scratch build a ton of planes too, but mine look more like my sharky plane on my profile. i love yours. hope she flies well!