Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Over-Powering an EastStar - What Problems?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Over-Powering an EastStar - What Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
T.W.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over-Powering an EastStar - What Problems?

My EasyStar has a 2700 brushless motor with 6x4 prop, 30/40 amp ESC and 3,300mah batteries - and it goes like stink drawing 33A at full-chat - which isn't used very often because it's just 'too fast' (for me) at WOT

I fitted ailerons to the model (which at least makes the rolls axial), and I added a thin ply plate to the moulding which makes-up the front of the wing retainer (at the rear of the canopy) to prevebt the wings pulling through the ir retainer. I also stiffened-up the wing using a couple of lengths of cf strip

The model has now had in excess of 40 flights, and I've just finished a round of 'toughening-up.' First the motor nacelle had started cracking-up so I glued it back together, first using thin CA and then giving it a coating of thick CA. The rearward wing locating block had also started to crack, so this too was re-glued and strengthened with CA

The model now seems ok again, but the point is that when over-powering any model you have to be ever-vigilent, as all that extra power just has to have an adverse effect - somewhere. The trick is to fix the weak-points before they become 'failure points'

So: For anyone who's had their EasyStar fail due to 'over-powering it' - Do you have any advice regarding any other 'weak-points'

Tony
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Techspy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Over-Powering an EastStar - What Problems?

So far I haven't had any issues but I don't have a whole lot of flights on it. At first I was over powering the 3 blade prop I was using. It was cavitating at wot. So I got a bigger one that was stiffer and cut the blades down so now I can go wot without problems. The only change I made was to beef up the engine mount. I have only had one flight with the new setup/prop but it was waaay too windy and only stayed in the air about a min as I wanted to land asap. I tested it and found I have 1600g of thrust now with a auw of approx 950g. Here is a link to the build thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027651
Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
T.W.

Default RE: Over-Powering an EastStar - What Problems?

That's an interesting project you've got going there - I'll be keeping an eye on your progress for sure! I see that you've already identified (and fixed) a few weaknesses already. Hope you don't get any more of them in future

Your EastStar's ailerons look quite small. The ones I made work really well, but of course they are much larger (see pic)

Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95142.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1180382