Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Issues or questions with the April 18, 2017 RCU Software update? Post here!

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Issues or questions with the April 18, 2017 RCU Software update? Post here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viewing a members posts

Don't know if this is a new issue or if it's been this way.
Is there a time limit or post limit that must be met before a members posts or threads can be viewed bu others?
I tried to view a new members past posts and get a return message: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.". I also tried from within their profile and still receive the same message.

The user has been here less than a month and has less than 20 posts.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 PM
IBJoel

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Still cannot upload a .PNG file edited on my iOS mobile device either.
What happens when you convert it to another format, such as JPEG? And does the image fall within the size limits?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM
IBJoel

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Don't know if this is a new issue or if it's been this way.
Is there a time limit or post limit that must be met before a members posts or threads can be viewed bu others?
I tried to view a new members past posts and get a return message: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.". I also tried from within their profile and still receive the same message.

The user has been here less than a month and has less than 20 posts.
Could you PM me the user you're looking at?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
What happens when you convert it to another format, such as JPEG? And does the image fall within the size limits?
You cannot change the file extension in iOS. If I take a picture on my device and upload it as-is, it used loads fine. If I circle some text (editing the picture on my device) in a photo and upload it, it gives me the error. All photos are within the size constraints listed. The error says "invalid file extension" or whatever. I posted a screen shot of it a few posts back.

I probably have 200 photos in my now-old file uploads folder I can't post from; and 90% of those were uploaded from my iOS device - same file format and many of them edited through my device. Since the software upgrade, most of the forum functionality I actually used (besides posting messages) worked fine and now it all went to hell. Even though the search function sucked before, I would gladly take the old software back than deal with this stuff.

Forum collapsing still doesnt work either. Ad banners in the middle of posts is very irritating too. Still. I sound like a broken record - I know. Been a member a long time here, and every time the software changes, it gets less and less user friendly and the users end up being the beta testers to find the bugs. Seriously, how can there be so many bugs that got missed by the software developers/engineers? No offense, but these kinds of issues never happen on rcgroups, and I even hate rcgroups!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
IBJoel

You cannot change the file extension in iOS. If I take a picture on my device and upload it as-is, it used loads fine. If I circle some text (editing the picture on my device) in a photo and upload it, it gives me the error. All photos are within the size constraints listed. The error says "invalid file extension" or whatever. I posted a screen shot of it a few posts back.

I probably have 200 photos in my now-old file uploads folder I can't post from; and 90% of those were uploaded from my iOS device - same file format and many of them edited through my device. Since the software upgrade, most of the forum functionality I actually used (besides posting messages) worked fine and now it all went to hell. Even though the search function sucked before, I would gladly take the old software back than deal with this stuff.

Forum collapsing still doesnt work either. Ad banners in the middle of posts is very irritating too. Still. I sound like a broken record - I know. Been a member a long time here, and every time the software changes, it gets less and less user friendly and the users end up being the beta testers to find the bugs. Seriously, how can there be so many bugs that got missed by the software developers/engineers? No offense, but these kinds of issues never happen on rcgroups, and I even hate rcgroups!
I will test out the edited photos on iOS and work with our tech team. I can tell you that those ads are here to stay. However, I can assure you that posters in this thread aren't the only ones getting bugged by the forum collapsing problem.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are all the photos from all the threads posted before the upgrade gone for good, or will they come back someday?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I will test out the edited photos on iOS and work with our tech team. I can tell you that those ads are here to stay. However, I can assure you that posters in this thread aren't the only ones getting bugged by the forum collapsing problem.
Offer subscription options. Pay monthly "dues" and get no ads. I would pay for that.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Doing more beta testing today and found a new problem. Tried uploading more than 3 pictures to a thread (pictures within size restrictions, file and extension, etc.) and got the error message shown below. Tried refreshing the window, no joy. Upload up to 3 pictures, Joy! 4 or 5 pictures, no joy and error.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6724.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	2213291  
Old 05-08-2017, 10:02 AM
LukeZ

I've not received an answer about the time-out for editing old posts.

Can the admins please change the time-out setting to something longer than what it is now? Ideally, infinitely?

If not, can the admins please at least respond here so we have a final answer on this issue and we don't need to ask again?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 AM
IBJoel

My apologies, Luke. I have indeed asked our tech team why that problem is occurring. I can still edit, but I'm an admin. Is anyone else unable to edit their old posts?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM
LukeZ

Having managed forum software myself, I'm assuming it's not a problem so much as a setting that was left at a default value. In other words, the "fix" should be easy.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I cannot edit old posts either. Last post of mine I looked at was from 5/2016. No edit button.

Come on tech team, let's get this forum fixed and working right. It's been almost a month now; can't use old photos yet, can't edit old posts, forum collapsing doesn't work, cannot upload photos edited on mobile devices without errors, cannot upload more than 3 unedited photos at a time without errors....
Old 05-08-2017, 03:57 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I can't edit any of my posts either after what seems like 24hrs.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I can't edit any of my posts either after what seems like 24hrs.
Ironically enough, me too. My post in this thread dated 5/6/2017 cannot be edited either. Wth?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:37 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I cannot edit old posts either. Last post of mine I looked at was from 5/2016. No edit button.

Come on tech team, let's get this forum fixed and working right. It's been almost a month now; can't use old photos yet, can't edit old posts, forum collapsing doesn't work, cannot upload photos edited on mobile devices without errors, cannot upload more than 3 unedited photos at a time without errors....
Is it really a forum if you cannot do any of these things?

Dennis
Old 05-09-2017, 07:19 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Propworn
Is it really a forum if you cannot do any of these things?

Dennis
Good question.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM
IBJoel

I can tell you that using photos from your gallery is not coming back. That was a sort of hodgepodge system to allow that to begin with. Not seeing photos that were posted before the switch is being worked on, however. In terms of post editing, the current timer is set to a 24 hour window and we're looking at expanding it.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:20 PM
LukeZ

In terms of post editing, the current timer is set to a 24 hour window and we're looking at expanding it.
Please do remove all limitations. There are many cases where it is essential to be able to modify a post even years after the fact - for example, I maintain the Ivan sticky at RC Groups and am still editing the first few posts over 10 years after the thread was first begun. This allows people new to the thread to see all the updated information right at the very beginning without having to read through hundreds or thousands of pages of discussion.

It is also very useful for posts in the marketplace if for example you want to modify your listing, for example, to lower the asking price.

I could go on, there are a multitude of reasons to edit an old post. Before the conversion there was no limitation even here at RCU, and there should be no limitation now.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thumbs down

I can tell you that using photos from your gallery is not coming back. That was a sort of hodgepodge system to allow that to begin with. Not seeing photos that were posted before the switch is being worked on, however. In terms of post editing, the current timer is set to a 24 hour window and we're looking at expanding it.
That is bunk. I've always stood by RCU and have maintained it as my "home" forum, but I'm losing my faith in the "home team".

Sad...

You should change your "new rcu functionality" post to reflect all of the "features" no longer available, or won't be available for 6 months or more while the "tech team" works it out. I can't believe the sponsors pay for this..

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-10-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:13 AM
Propworn

That is bunk. I've always stood by RCU and have maintained it as my "home" forum, but I'm losing my faith in the "home team".

Sad...

You should change your "new rcu functionality" post to reflect all of the "features" no longer available, or won't be available for 6 months or more while the "tech team" works it out. I can't believe the sponsors pay for this..
I pay a yearly fee to help support a couple of different forum sites and considered doing the same here however there is less functionality on this site than any of the others so I will continue to choose not to support it. May as well delete any photos you have uploaded if in the end you must reload them if you wish to use them in a different post. Makes no sense to keep them as you will soon top out your allowed space.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 AM
Propworn

Wonderful I just looked at the attachments. Guess what? You cannot delete/edit any of the previous uploaded pictures. The only boxes you can check off for deletion are on the pictures you have uploaded since the so called upgrade. So I have 39.24 MB/243 pictures with no way of editing or deleting them. How sad!!!! I have to wonder what happens when you fill up your allowed storage space. Maybe you just might be able to buy more???? Or could it become a function available to paid up members only??????

Dennis
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
IBJoel

Please do remove all limitations. There are many cases where it is essential to be able to modify a post even years after the fact - for example, I maintain the Ivan sticky at RC Groups and am still editing the first few posts over 10 years after the thread was first begun. This allows people new to the thread to see all the updated information right at the very beginning without having to read through hundreds or thousands of pages of discussion.
The ability to edit indefinitely is a double-edged sword. On one hand, people obviously want to update information as it changes. On the other, we want to keep information up and available to all, preserving content. LukeZ, could you direct me to threads on THIS SITE that you would want to edit?

You cannot delete/edit any of the previous uploaded pictures.
Do you get the following message: "The link you clicked on has an incorrect member id. To find a member's gallery, enter all or part of the member's username above where indicated."?

If not, could you post a screenshot that shows the different boxes you get for pictures before/after the changeover?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
LukeZ

The ability to edit indefinitely is a double-edged sword. On one hand, people obviously want to update information as it changes. On the other, we want to keep information up and available to all, preserving content. LukeZ, could you direct me to threads on THIS SITE that you would want to edit?
Here are two off the top of my head: Open Panzer Project and Tiger 1 For Sale.

The concern about preserving information is valid, but individuals (as opposed to admins) only have the ability to edit their own posts, so the worst can happen is a single individual decides to remove information that he himself posted. There is almost never a reason for an individual to do this for any reason other than positive ones, ie, keeping information up to date.

Secondly, up until last month RCU had a clear position on this double-edged sword, which is that users should be treated as adults and given control over their own content indefinitely. I don't see why a software update should be the reason for a policy change, but if a policy change is desired it would be nice to get an official statement about it from the site owners.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:39 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New issue, I believe, although I'm not sure the search engine was changed in the upgrade.

For an example, go to Advanced Search, type in keyword "Lysander", select Search Titles Only, and hit Search Now. The results will not have the following thread in it:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...-lysander.html
Old 05-10-2017, 11:18 AM
IBJoel

Originally Posted by RickVB
New issue, I believe, although I'm not sure the search engine was changed in the upgrade.

For an example, go to Advanced Search, type in keyword "Lysander", select Search Titles Only, and hit Search Now. The results will not have the following thread in it:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...-lysander.html
Reported. Also, cool to see someone from Novi! I was born in Brighton, used to go to the 12 Oaks Mall all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.