Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

RCU and crap mail???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 01:14 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCU and crap mail???

just got this sent to my yahoo mail!! i take pride in the fact that i've never gotten spam or sh*t like this sent to this particular yahoo address of mine. hope you guys can take care of this problem ASAP. would hate to have my favorite mailbox stuffed with crap like this

The following was sent to you through RC Universe:
-------------------------------------------------
Dear Friend,

My Names is Miss Nana williams, the only daughter of
cheif John Williams from Sierra Leone In west Africa,
i am writing to seek your help to transfer the
inheritance sum of $9,000,000 (nine million united
state dollars )deposited by my late father in the bank
here in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire West Africa.

the stupid letter goes on and on and on
the address it came from is: [email protected]

dave
Old 11-12-2003, 01:33 PM
trailingedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU and crap mail???

Those pesky scammers. Always trying to make a buck. I got two of them on the fax machine yesterday. How the H%&# they got the companies private fax line is beyond me. Mine didn't have the RCU parth though. I'm quite sure that if it could have been sent from RCU, Mark would be bloodhounding them down right now.

Spammer Scammers at that [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-12-2003, 01:37 PM
trailingedge

Come to think of it, he's probably on the lookout right now (I know I would be) for whoever's tossing out the RCU name like that.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:42 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I HATE emails like that! People like that should be dragged out into the street and shot.

I doubt it came from RCU, and if it did Marc will probably track it down and perma-ban them
Old 11-12-2003, 01:52 PM
MeltedPixel

I've gotten loads of those.
I play along with them, and it gets SOOO funny.
I nearly fell off my chair when I said I was bill gate's brother in law.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:59 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of the new spam grabs the return address from someones deleted file. I am sure that is where it came from. I did some research on it after I started getting spam from myself. That was a huge shock.

If everyone would delete their deleted file once a day or once a week, this would happen less, but it would not stop it.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
rclooney

i have just got a piece of hacking software and i will sart flooding spammers with spam emails.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

This is my own theory, but it works for me. Never unsubscribe. The minute you do, then they know that you have a valid email address.

Make sure everyone that gets your email has a privacy policy (I know this won't stop some people, but it helps).

Before RCU, I was on a BB that posted your email every post (HA! I had a different name then spammers[>:][>:]). Last time I ever do that, I might has well have advertised my email on primetime.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

This kind of complaint might be better posted to "Forum questions of problems:"
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Foru...mid_239/tt.htm

The people that have the power to do something about it are more likely to find it there.

Definitely DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. All you're doing is inviting more spam.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:40 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Zag,

I take it you don't believe part about the $$$, but the "from RCU" is believable?

Keep in mind, that once you put your information on a forum like this, others are free to send you mail unless you opt out. That's the problem with public sites. For instance, I could click "e-mail" on your post and send you any crap I wanted. Of course, when Marc found out... and if I was still around... he would ban me.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Cactus.

i've got a great little tool called mailwasher, it checks your mail before Outlook, filters out the c£&p and even bounces it back if you want ( that'll teach that little p£!c% that sent me 300+ mails lol ) after a while it's almost totlay auto, just need to be told new adreses to add a entire doman to the blacklist, or just one address on say a Yahoo server, same goes for friends list.
you also getto spot a virus before it's even downloaded from your server.
once you've clicked process it's wipes the crud and fires up outlook to download.

Goingstraightup is bang on, never click their unsubscribe buttons, you can also add a few characters to your viewable address, real people you want to contact you can then be told to remove them, computers will get this wrong of course.

but what really hacks me off is the 'friends' that send you forwarded mail with page after page of peoples addys, it takes nothing to forward the last attachment and remove the addresses ahead of the message.

i got one virus once, just a small thing, but i mailed everyone i had mailed in the last day whith instructions on how to remove it and to pass it on to anyone they had mailed since they got mine, hopefully that stopped it.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:52 PM
trailingedge

phillybaby has the right idea. There's a ton of anti spam software out there and most of it's free. The better ones will scan your mail before it's ever downloaded to your machine (this makes a big difference for those of us who are too far out in the sticks to get dsl or cable). RCLooney, the hacking software you have will do you absolutely no good as you are being spammed by a program and not a person. There is no one on the other end to receive your spam. 99.9999999999% of the time it just goes into a queue that's auto deleted when it gets to a certain size by another program. It's worse if they are parsing the incoming email for new addresses.