Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Search doesn’t work on word “weight”?

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Search doesn’t work on word “weight”?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search doesn’t work on word “weight”?

As far as it is too tricky to post my question to the RC Universe via so called “contact us” I would like to post my question here.
So, to RC Universe –
Why is your search doesn’t work on word “weight”?
You have to try it – when you add the word “weight” to any query search fails to find anything (as well as on single word “weight”).
Regards.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Knight_74

Default RE: Search doesn’t work on word “weight”?

I think that the message that it can't find any is a mistake. I'm betting that its actually finding too many and instead of asking you to limit the search it is telling you there are none.

Try searching for "weight" and looking in just the club house. It found quite a few for me.

If you've ever seen all the code that goes into one of these forums you will understand how a small item like that will slip by the programmer.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Dsegal

In general, I find the search engine frustrating as it misses lots of things. As a test, I just typed in "weigh" (not weight), checked "less precise match" and drew 500 responses.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:13 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't get the results always check off the "less precise results". what happens is that if a word is used ALOT it becomes "common" and will return way too many results thus the engine deems it to be low relevancy. It things a word like "weight" is as common as the word "the" or "and" and discounts it. To narrow down your search add another term to it or if you must find all occurences of very frequently used words check off the less precise results checkbox.

we use the MS search engine and whatever algorithms it uses are the ones we have to work with. most of the time good but other times quirky for sure.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is why...this is the less precise search for "weight".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...mitbutton=+OK+

notice it comes up with 500 results. However if we did not limit to 500 even it would be 1000's upon 1000's and the "engine" therefore discounts them as being highly relevant. To combat this add an extra search term to the query to allow the engine to find closer matches.