Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Losing The Experts and Their Knowledge

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Losing The Experts and Their Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losing The Experts and Their Knowledge

On a couple of occasions I have gotten into a "flap" with some of our so-called experts; maybe it's my own style that was offensive. If so, I will publicly apologize here and now. I guess it's hard to disagree without setting someone off but if I feel something written here is wrong or carelessly said, even by an expert, I should speak up. At times I have felt I am being "talked down to" because the expert feels his "expertize" trumps anything I might say. I am expert at nothing but I am not a lump of coal, either and I expect to be treated with respect.

I appreciate the comments by PE and by Capt John, they are gentlemen and have always been polite in what they contribute to this forum. Obviously, there are others too, but these two gentlemen stand out in my mind.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Dr1Driver

As they say, "You can please some of the people some of the time and **** the rest off." Seriously, there will always be a portion who are disgruntled and decide to "cut their nose off to spite their face" and leave. It's actually their loss as much as ours. I enjoy helping and passing on my experiences and, despite my 25+ years in R/C, I learn new things almost every day from a lot of posts here. When someone challenges what I say, I try to back it up with facts or an example. I've never advised anything that I haven't either done or seen done sucessfully. When someone just refuses to listen and continues to argue in the fact of facts, I leave the thread. No skin off my nose.

Dr.1
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Now this is the kind of post that is insulting to me
If that is insulting to you then thats half the problem. A smiley face designates a no insult post.

Seems people are just a bit overly touchy.

Bill, some of your posts (and mine ) set of a storm especially on the subject of ARFs and some could take offense at those and did it seems, I am sure neither of us meant it that way.
When you cant see the person and have eyeball to eyeball its easy to misconstrue what they are intent on.
I personally know a couple of "experts" who make so called expert comments and have never owned or operated the items they are experts on!!
Take it all with a grain of salt

Its a hobby each to his own.

I personally will give up on RCU.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Rule 1 If you won't say it face to face, don't write it here
RELAX and ENJOY RC models are a HOBBY.
There only a few here, who make a living at it. If some body is making a living at it and has been doing it for a while, maybe just maybe they know what they are talking about.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Dr1Driver

If that is insulting to you then thats half the problem.

However, I feel Bill DOES have a point. Adding a smiley doesn't always make it right. It's like saying, "You're ugly, but I mean that in a nice way." That dog ain't gonna hunt.

Problems often arise when we generalize, categorize, and make blanket judgements and comments. All of us MUST remember to not get personal in our arguments and discussions. THAT'S where the wars start. Keep it on a DEBATE level, not an ARGUMENT level. "That's a stupid idea." vs "I wouldn't do it what way. (and give the reason)"

Be personable without being personal.

Dr.1
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Bob,

Feel free to PM me with details or if you think prudent put it here as factual as possible so members can weigh in on it. This way if something was done against the rules members can pass their own judgement. I don't know details so I have not passed any thus far.

Bottom line is unmoderated forums don't do well. RCU is as big as it is because moderation works. Imagine your town and country even if there were no cops to police. It is no different here. Do mods get it wrong sometimes? Sure..they are humans. Matter of fact they are just modelers like yourselves that volunteered their time (for free) to try and keep rcu a better place for all the members (you). Everyone complains when they get moderated. Nobody ever made a post that was against the rules, in bad taste, uncalled for, etc...right? Did a mod make a bad call on this one? Maybe and maybe not. Let's hear the facts of the case and determine if the actions taken were perhaps justifiable.
OK, I'm a little behind on this one, but I had to reply to this post. Yes, we need police in every society. But that is to keep lawbreakers from over-running the rest of us. We are talking about two different things here. One of our most basic freedoms in the USA is freedom of speech. We have the right to voice our opinions popular or otherwise. Should that be done in good taste and with due respect, of course. Is it appropriate to have foul language censored, I believe it is, but beyond that, IMO, freedom of speech should prevail. I don't see 'moderators as filling the roll of 'cops'. I see their roll being censors for the purpose of keeping this forum from becoming something we wouldn't want our kids to be a part of. Moderators who see themselves as 'cops' rather than censors may be a big part of the problem, IMO. Their opinions should not be imposed on others via the power they have with a keyboard. Nazi Germany did the same thing only not with keyboards but with guns. Moderators, please let the opinions flow freely through the filter for decency, and nothing else.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
youngun

Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: youngun

On the topic of people leaving;
We all have feelings and emotions which can't be expressed in text. This hampers good, effective communications.
I don't know how this can be helped - given the text forums we have. All are probably doing pretty good with all the limitations we have.

The owner of the site obviously doesn't care who, or how many leave (he stated that he had all these new people signing up everyday and it's quantity that counts not quality - i.e. the number of new posts and people signing up)(also that todays newbie is tomorrows expert - after all these years, I still ain't no expert)

So, since this site is so big - it can't be hurt, or abandoned by some people leaving. Kind of like General Motors and Ford being so big that they can't be hurt, or touched - so they can do as they please, and to heck with what the customer thinks.

Just some different perspectives on these things (or food for thought)
I totally agree that the written word cannot express facial expressions so that what we say in person can be taken out of context by those reading the post. It is just the limitation of the media.

As to the other about Marc not caring. In his defense and not trying to put words in his mouth but what could he do in reality? I know I would not want the job of moderator. Just like a line foreman - you are damned by management and by the guys on the floor. You just cannot please everyone. This site has to be moderated to survive and the moderators are human. Being human they will tolerate posts from some people more than others. It is just the nature of the beast.

I liken it to being dissatisfied at work. Leaving to a new company only to find they have their own set of problems.

I don't have a solution but sure wish and hope that some of these guys with their years of knowledge stay on board.

John
Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% agree.

The NO Descrimination Rule should be adhered to on RCU.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad the Moderators let this thread keep going. I have in the past posted not so good replies (late at nite when I tired) and the next day re-read the post and thought "man did I Say that" so I right away edited my post. The Bad thing is when a thread is closed...non of us will have the chance to make things right. So I hope this thread keeps going and I am sure it will slow down to a standstill. But down the road...everyone will have a chance to say maybe I said the wrong thing or used the wrong reply that offended some other fellow modeler. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Boy I hear ya captin, I am guilty of the same thing more than once.
Maybe this thread should be call "losing our experienced people and Their Knowledge" Something about the word "expert" that brings on the wrong connotation at times and fires people up. I have used ideas that newbies have come up with because they work better than my long standing ways. Good information is good information. I won't repeat what has been said prior, but a lot has to do in the way we say things and our attitude in our writings.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
youngun

Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 PM
ljones5000

RTK, glad you said that about the word "expert". I had even typed something like that earlier but didn't post. I feel very much like Pe who said something to the effect that the term/title of expert is bestowed not by oneself but by others in recognition of special abilities, accomplishments or knowledge (or a combination thereof).

For one thing, we really don't know what the level of experience another poster has (or I don't) and we don't know who's an "expert" and who's not. To me, it's all about sharing what we know about a hobby we all enjoy and I hate it when someone gets to "wearing his britches so high" he can't hear another point of view.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
TLH101

Expert,
ex spurt: what's left of a drip under pressure
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that is insulting to you then thats half the problem.

However, I feel Bill DOES have a point. Adding a smiley doesn't always make it right. It's like saying, "You're ugly, but I mean that in a nice way." That dog ain't gonna hunt.

Problems often arise when we generalize, categorize, and make blanket judgements and comments. All of us MUST remember to not get personal in our arguments and discussions. THAT'S where the wars start. Keep it on a DEBATE level, not an ARGUMENT level. "That's a stupid idea." vs "I wouldn't do it what way. (and give the reason)"
This is a perfect example. I have known PANZ for 5 years or so-- It was not an insult, nor was it meant to be. (We were talking about it earlier today). It is a unique person expressing himself in his "colorful" way. If you knew him then you would know this. NOW-- should he change his personality or improve on his tact (Believe me-- this ain't gonna happen but just for arguement sake) This is a good natured person expressing himself with his own unique nouns, adjectives, and adverbs. ABSOLUTELY NO MALICE INTENDED. But it is taken as offensive. THEN PRIDE TAKES OVER AND HE GETS UPSET AND LEAVES. He may not be considered an "expert", so he may not be missed

FOLKS--- it's a hobby. It is what we do for fun. We pay a lot of money to have this fun. [8D]Does this sound like fun to you? (note the sunglasses)
Old 01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Expert,
ex spurt: what's left of a drip under pressure
LOL What would you call Pat Roy or the late Bill Robison et al.

They do not call themselves experts but with the amount of knowledge they are willing to share what label would you apply to them?
The better question is who steps into their shoes after they are gone or left the site?

Ah well time for me to unsubscribe. It's a bear being a newbee to gas motors at this time, first RCIgn and now Pat.
John
Old 01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

About Marc not caring - I was just going by his words and what he posted in this thread.
Like was said before - there are limitations to these text messages. If he didn't mean it that way that it sounds from what was posted, maybe he will clarify it for us.

Marc was referring to several members who were leaving RCU for a couple of reasons. I did not read in any part of his posts where he said that RCU did not miss members leaving, or that RCU is too big for individuals to matter.

Youngun, since it is no mystery who the moderators are who tried to help you, I'll reply directly to what you wrote about your Saito engine. You were given some very good advice by numerous people and it appeared that you didn't like it, or you thought it wrong. The moderators contributed some, but not nearly half of the advice you didn't like. But, let's say that the advice was wrong for example. You appeared to know very little about the engine. From certain symptoms that you may or may not have mentioned, logical starting points to track down your problem make sense, and are the best way to get it fixed. Nobody has a crystal ball or Saito engine diagnostic computer for your engine. So, some of the steps may not be the right ones but they get to the problem if the advice is taken.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Ah well time for me to unsubscribe. It's a bear being a newbee to gas motors at this time, first RCIgn and now Pat.
John
John- think about what you just wrote. Now, think about the many, many other knowledgeable people who you left out of your short list for helpful members in Gas Engines. It sounds to me like you just insulted a huge crowd around here who help out every day and don't seek credit.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:58 PM
TLH101

That was not meant to be a jab at anyone, especially those who really do help people out. It's just something that comes to mind when I hear the word expert. It's certainly true in many cases.
If I offended anyone, I apologize.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: blw

John
John- think about what you just wrote. Now, think about the many, many other knowledgeable people who you left out of your short list for helpful members in Gas Engines. It sounds to me like you just insulted a huge crowd around here who help out every day and don't seek credit.
BLW,
I did not mean it that way at all. You've given great advise that I've put in my memory banks too. I'm just sad that these two guy left RCU. I probably did not express my self adequately. Sorry.
John
Old 01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Stickbuilder

About Marc not caring - I was just going by his words and what he posted in this thread.
Like was said before - there are limitations to these text messages. If he didn't mean it that way that it sounds from what was posted, maybe he will clarify it for us.

Marc was referring to several members who were leaving RCU for a couple of reasons. I did not read in any part of his posts where he said that RCU did not miss members leaving, or that RCU is too big for individuals to matter.

Youngun, since it is no mystery who the moderators are who tried to help you, I'll reply directly to what you wrote about your Saito engine. You were given some very good advice by numerous people and it appeared that you didn't like it, or you thought it wrong. The moderators contributed some, but not nearly half of the advice you didn't like. But, let's say that the advice was wrong for example. You appeared to know very little about the engine. From certain symptoms that you may or may not have mentioned, logical starting points to track down your problem make sense, and are the best way to get it fixed. Nobody has a crystal ball or Saito engine diagnostic computer for your engine. So, some of the steps may not be the right ones but they get to the problem if the advice is taken.
This may stir a stink, and I know it's a little off topic, but I disagree with moderators making posts in the forums (as a participant) while using their moderator official logon, and avitar. It's kind of like the local cop doing his grocery shopping in the official cop car. It's better off not done. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a moderator entering the discussion forum as a private individual, but it is entirely another thing for them (y'all) to do it under the guise of a moderator. That might make some that would otherwise post information that would be helpful, but might also be different, chose to not post at all. Just something for you posting moderators to consider.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Dr1Driver

One of our most basic freedoms in the USA is freedom of speech.
Yes, but that does not give anyone the right to shout "fire" in a crowded theatre or to defame, besmerch, or slander anyone.

Nazi Germany did the same thing

And herein is exactly the problem and exactly why the Moderators are needed. Personal attacks. You shouldn't go around freely comparing anyone to the Nazis. Even though this remark, fortunately, wasn't aimed at me, I take personal offense at it. You should retract it.

Dr.1
Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

This may stir a stink, and I know it's a little off topic, but I disagree with moderators making posts in the forums (as a participant) while using their moderator official logon, and avitar. It's kind of like the local cop doing his grocery shopping in the official cop car. It's better off not done. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a moderator entering the discussion forum as a private individual, but it is entirely another thing for them (y'all) to do it under the guise of a moderator. That might make some that would otherwise post information that would be helpful, but might also be different, chose to not post at all. Just something for you posting moderators to consider.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

I don't really see what you are getting at? What does the fact that they are moderators have to do with them taking part in a conversation?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

And herein is exactly the problem and exactly why the Moderators are needed. Personal attacks. You shouldn't go around freely comparing anyone to the Nazis. Even though this remark, fortunately, wasn't aimed at me, I take personal offense at it. You should retract it.

Dr.1
Huh? Where did that come from?????
Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 PM
captinjohn

John
BLW: Moderator Why don,t you first see before you reply, how many have the same thought you have. You got to remember it was posted by a nebie and he does not know all the ohers to list and why should he? Best Regards Capt,n Edit Post140 I believe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.