Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Experimental 144'' UAV Build

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Experimental 144'' UAV Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Psionic001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experimental 144'' UAV Build

Ahhhhh, an interesting thread. Thanks guys.

I think you all imagine this guy is just going to build all 144' of this plane overnight then slap some RC gear and a satellite dish onboard then go fly.

Have you not considered that during the build process and installation of a satellite dish that he might actually be learning something on the way (regardless of the Naysayers here), and that during this discovery, reality might strike him..... aka, UAV Baby steps.

I'm guessing that after reading this thread, his mum and dad got him a Multiplex Easy Star for Christmas and now he's saving up for the $25 Ardupilot from Sparkfun.

Good on him for dreaming anyway...

best to you all

Matt

Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
reuven_segal

Thanks Matt: Well said. It is too easy to forget where one came from after a couple years of experience. When I started tying flies for trout fishing a couple years ago, I I wanted to tie classic salmon flies, but couldn't tie a simple grub. So too, when teaching Aerospace to my students, despite studying mathematics for many years, it is all too easy to assume that one knows the basics of integration. They want to start analysing things to death, without getting through the basics. Just have to bring them down and show them what it means to get it done. How far would my students get, despite being on the brighter side of things, if all I did was call them fools for thinking they couls analyse the aerodynamics of a simple control surface?? Even the brightests and most determined would suffer.

R
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
skullman

Devin,

What you are describing is already being done. You might consider hooking up with those who are already working in the industry or researching through tech schools.

The guys at Ga Tech are using our field for their experimental flights. They are flying from a laptop using GPS / telemetry at night. There are rules and regulations associated with a project like this.

.......flying cross country might break AMA 500 ft. limit rule. Hehe
Old 12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Gecko

Hey man.

What exactly does "and Just have to Build this is Higher someone that knows what they are doing to Build this aircraft..." mean?

Here's the thing about this hobby and the people whom engage in it; they all have ideas and ideals that they strive for. That is what makes this hobby progress at the rate it does. The original poster, though he may or may not know the complexity of his ideas, will learn a wealth of information about this particular endeavor. Thus he will create a few scenarios, all very desirable. The first is he will get to learn. Second, he may put money forth, thereby driving the economy. Third but never last, he may actually learn enough to further the hobby more then you will with your pessimism.

Now go cry.

Have a good day!

ORIGINAL: T45WingNut

Fist off you better contact your local FAA... Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations in the U.S. National Airspace System.. as you have been told in a other post you have.. there is no way you are going to fly that with out going threw the FAA and fallowing General Operating and Flight Rules (14 CFR Part 91).... you say in this post and others on this Form ''I am more of a beginner in the rc plane world I'll need a little bit advice'' well my advice if you have No Background in Aviation,UAV's or RC aircraft.. and Just have to Build this is Higher someone that knows what they are doing to Build this aircraft... you are talking about using ''satallite technology''?? who's Sats are you doing to use??? you are talking Big Bucks for that kinda Tech. unless you are some kinda Billionaire with more money then sense and have a Good layer to keep you out of the Fed Pen . for sure if you do this with out going threw the FAA and just fly this thing Cross country threw ATO Airspace.. you are going to screw up this hobby for everyone ..

itle 14 Code of Federal Regulations

* Part 1, Definitions, Civil Aircraft, section 1.1
* Part 21, Certification Procedures for Products and Parts
* Part 21, Subpart H, Airworthiness Certificates, Experimental Certificates, sections 21.191 and 21.193

Advisory Circulars

* AC 21-12, Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate, FAA Form 8130-6
* AC 45-2, Identification and Registration Marking
* AC 91-57, Model Aircraft Operating Standards

Forms

* FAA Form 7711-2 (PDF), Certification of Waiver or Authorization Application
* FAA Form 8130-6 (PDF), Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate

Orders

* Order 8130.2, Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products
* Order 8130.20, Registration Requirements for the Airworthiness Certification of U.S. Civil Aircraft
* Order 8130.34, Airworthiness Certification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Policies

* Federal Register Notice - Clarification of FAA Policy (PDF), UAS Operations in the U.S. National Airspace System
* Interim Operational Approval Guidance 08-01 (PDF), Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations in the U.S. National Airspace System
* UAS Certification Status (PDF), includes FAA focal points for UAS certification project coordination
Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Rattler767

ORIGINAL: rcairlinerflyer

Constantly, the world is being fed by new ideas, that solely expand "out of the box". There's not a lot of people in this area with a mindset like so. And truthfully, it doesn't surprise me. Too many people are old school when it comes to this. When I put a post up involving 'cell phone radios' and there was not much interest. Almost like no one cares or it is just "not a want". What's up with that?!
Is anyone on the same wavelength I'm on? I just curios. Has anyone had a vibrant idea like this lately?
I would guess its safe to post in hear now... I have for a long time had the idea of useing say a $600.00 SAT phone and a computer hooked up to 3g cell phone network to control the UAV and maybe uplink video it should cost under $2000.00

What do you think?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
rcairlinerflyer

I'm on my way to doing what you just said this July...
Here are some pictures of my latest homebuilt foamboard aircraft.
There are some people out there that have said this cannot be done. I would agree with them, that is, if I were them. With the right background knowledge and a sense of practicality, though, it can be done. Very easily, too I believe. I assure you the law, both with the AMA and the FAA will be followed. I will fly my UAV low. I have designed it to weigh only a few pounds. It is made of foamboard. No explosive fuels because the entirety of the aircraft is powered using regeneratable, green, Earth friendly electricity. It has taken me two years to figure it out and I am almost there. There is still more I must figure out, but I guaranty all that I will safely, legally, appropriately, and properly accomplish the feat of flying a 44 inch wingspan UAV 2,600 miles in under 2 days this July, 2010.
If anyone has questions, I will answer them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16395.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1425281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17134.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1425282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33258.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1425283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11161.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1425284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17745.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1425285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89707.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1425286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya57936.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1425287  
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 AM
reuven_segal

Good job RC. Pls keep me updated.
You might want to check out the 9 DOF chipset going for only $125.

R
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM
victorzamora

Not trying to resurrect a dead thread here, but rcairlineflyer....do you have much experience flying R/C?  If not, how badly did your airplane crash?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
rcairlinerflyer

The aircraft flew, but I've moved on. Rotate speed was around 30.mph; in other words, the plane is not meant to have a glide ratio! I don't advocate flat wings even if they're simple to slap together, just too inefficient for my style these ones. No crash on the first run, though (: Just as long as I kept it up towards the airframe ovrs threshold the performance with turns were fair. Not much yaw was needed as there was already a great natural tendency for pitching. Cg way up while Cp established near the rear center length. Stopped flying her after an unstable hammerhead turn stall... Came out barely, but enough to call service retirement for me! Especially with what I had rigged. Working with a photovoltaic energy source UAV right now, and that's going well. Implementing some very unique concepts into the "buzzard" aircraft.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM
rcairlinerflyer

& btw, I have tons of exp nowdays.
No updated pics, yet.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
bates517
My Feedback: (16)

dear sirs, there is nothing rong with dreaming. ever herd of wilber wright and his brother??? to the man that wants to build this flyer i am an expermental aircraft designer and builder tool maker and would help him in any way i can. please email me
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
bates517
My Feedback: (16)

he did not call me and way should i spend the money calling him
Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Hold your horses, Mr. Bates! There's work to do in this world, and people didn't invent the business week for nuthin'!