Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Minor problem with long file names on 14MZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 AM
RCfan99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor problem with long file names on 14MZ

Found this while trying to decipher the .mdl format. If you employ a picture / sound file with a file name longer than 33 / 32 characters, respectively, the 14MZ will properly allow you to configure it into a model, but when it's time to view / play the content it can't find the file. Internally it's truncating the name to fit its .mdl structure, which causes the actual file to not be found on the CF when needed.

--Felix
Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Krysta

Default RE: Minor problem with long file names on 14MZ

Hi Felix,

While this may be a minor problem, it is not actually any type of flaw as this radio is designed to allow for only a 32 character name, whether as a model, picture or sound file.

You will notice that as far as model files are concerned, when going from the 14MZ to the 12Z, it will not pick any of these up from the CF card as long as there are more than 8 characters used in the name. If you go back into the original model while the card is in the 14MZ, change the name and save it to something 8 characters or under, THEN transfer it to the 12Z, you will have no problems. So it is doing the same thing to models as you are seeing in music and picture files.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Futaba Service Center USA

ORIGINAL: RCfan99

Found this while trying to decipher the .mdl format. If you employ a picture / sound file with a file name longer than 33 / 32 characters, respectively, the 14MZ will properly allow you to configure it into a model, but when it's time to view / play the content it can't find the file. Internally it's truncating the name to fit its .mdl structure, which causes the actual file to not be found on the CF when needed.

--Felix
Old 05-17-2006, 03:13 PM
RCfan99

Krysta,

Where is it documented that picture and sound files can not be more than 32 characters? I know about the user name and model names, but I cannot find any mention of picture/sound file names.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Krysta

Felix,

This is not documented as it was felt that no one would feel the need to have a picture or sound file that was over 32 characters long. Normally most people would use simple song titles or picture titles such as "Cub 40", "Caliber 90", "Hovering Cobra", etc.

Krysta

ORIGINAL: RCfan99

Krysta,

Where is it documented that picture and sound files can not be more than 32 characters? I know about the user name and model names, but I cannot find any mention of picture/sound file names.