Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this possible?

I have a Futaba 4YF and was wondering if a problem I am experiencing could in any way be attributed to the Tx. It's unlikely that I'll send it in, because for the price of shipping and possible service, I may as well upgrade my Tx, so I'd appreciate an honest response, if even by PM.

I fly electric planes. The throttle has been cutting out (going to zero) lately while in the air with fully charged packs, both in the plane and the Tx. Once the motor cuts out, I am able to rearm my ESC by throttling down to zero, waiting a few seconds and then the throttle works again until it cuts off again. Time between cutoffs seems to vary. My last flights today, it was cutting off every 15 seconds or so before I decided I should land. Previous flights today and previous days, I sometimes make entire flights without any cutoffs--again, batteries are good.

This has occurred with two different planes which have a different brand of Rx, and are using different battery packs. I know I am not hitting Low Voltage cutoff.

Other than the throttle, all other channels work fine.

If it is possible that the Tx could cause this, what are some things I could do to rectify the situation?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Is this possible?

It's hard to say what the problem could be. One way to check is to connect a servo to the throttle channel of your receiver, operate the system from a distance while you walk around the model to simulate its flying around. If the throttle servo acts up, then the problem is in the transmitter or receiver. If the servo operates correctly, we'd start to suspect the speed control.

One thing to consider about electric systems. If your speed control's not acting correctly, it could be pulling enough current out of the battery pack to cause the voltage to drop and the throttle failsafe to kick in.

Also...while you may think your battery packs are good, they may actually be marginal, so when asked to deliver the current the motor requires, they have a significant voltage drop that activates the throttle failsafe. You may wish to check this by using a brand-new, absolutely good battery pack that's been carefully charged and tested to be sure it's holding its full-rated charge. Older cells may not be able to deliver the current required without having an unacceptable voltage drop.

Please remember that ANY battery pack will experience a voltage drop when current is drawn from it. The more current, the more voltage drop. Good battery packs will have minimal drop, bad packs will have a large drop.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To check to see if it was the Tx, I repaired a plane that flys the same packs and took it up today with no problems, so I'm ruling out the TX. Thanks for your time, Bax.

ORIGINAL: Bax
It's hard to say what the problem could be.
I know.[] A lot of swapping of parts and rearranging things and I was trying to see what the likelihood of it being the part I only have one of (the Tx).

The cutting out is a new behaviour for the plane. I am quite sure it's not the packs--some of them are quite new. If it was a LVC problem, I would expect it to happen more as the battery was run down and at higher throttle rates, but time or throttle are not factors of when or how often it cuts out.

The servo in the throttle position is great idea. I'm going to try that.

Thanks again, Bax.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
smokin4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I recently purchased a buddy cable that has a JR female connector and a futaba 6 pin square connector. Can I buy a JR USB cable and connect it to the JR side of the buddy cable and connect the Futaba side of the buddy cable to my TX so I can use my TX with a simulator program?

The reason I ask is that the JR USB cables are considerably less expensive that the 6 pin square futaba USB cables.

I'm trying to go the cheapest route possible.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We'd have no idea if that would work or not. When we use a simulator, we connect the transmitter directly into the simulator with the cabling the sim maker tells us to use.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
smokin4fun

Well, I'm buying it and trying it.....I'll be glad to give ya'll a heads up if it works. The futaba square 6-pin sim cables i've seen are running at about 46 to up to 58 with shipping and the combo that I'll try to make work is only around 36 to 40 bucks with shipping. Thanks for the reply.

God is good all the time and all the time God is good!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:08 AM
FOD MAN

i wouldn't call saving 6 to 10 dollars considerable , if it don't work u still have to shell out the money to buy the right one. then how much will you have spent.