Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

14mz as trainer to a 9z

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 PM
capflyr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14mz as trainer to a 9z

help i have a 14mz and im trying to buddy box on a 9z . note the 14mz is the master and the 9z is the
trainer . also note i just got the radio bare with me.

thank you boots aka caflyr
Old 07-20-2006, 10:04 PM
tkilwein

Default RE: 14mz as trainer to a 9z

Hi Capflyr,

I have the 14mz as master and 9zhps as trainer and the 9z complains of the tx module being wrong -- error message.
I have the trainer mode set in the 14mz as master - mixed mode.

The 14mz is brand new just bought, with the new flat case, the 9z I bought the first year they were out.

With this said, i ignore the error messages and things somewhat work! whooyaa.

the problem I have is the neutrel center is off between the two and it takes major subtrims and main trims on all channels to get both
tx's centered so I can fly. My other 4 futaba tx's and friends tx's all work normal with each other and my 9z, so it has to be the 14mz that is the problem. the other tx's are fine for trim by themselves or interconnected, but when connected to the 14mz the trims are way off.
Then when I disconnect trainer cord, I have to redo the sub and main trims, this sucks.

I have this issue with 7 of my receivers 4 syn 309-319 and 3 149rx's.

I do realize there is going to be issues for a while, this is normal with most vendors.

I am waiting for access to the FFC so I can update firmware in the hopes this helps.
I sent a email to Hobbico with my info and serial numbers and was told I have to wait until they get my letter.

I am going to take a picture and details and send to Futaba and Hobbico to see what is going on.
I do not know if the servo pulse is using different center position. I am going to measure this with a scope to see whats going on
myself.

Hope you have better luck than i have.
Tony
Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is normal that different transmitters have somewhat different centering. To insure a match in calibration, we would need to see both transmitters. Then we could insure that they are calibrated indentically. However, please realize that even though it seems htat your 14MZ is 'off', it may actually be 'dead on' and all of the other transmitters were calibrated to a different standard. At anyrate, they can be calibrated accurately.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:18 PM
capflyr
My Feedback: (1)

bax i thank you are answering someone else's question. my problem is
getting my 14mz to be the master traner to my 9z. i think i need to reasign
my chanels thr,rudder elv etc. on the 14mz due to them being different
from all other futaba x mitters. i then need to change all my airplanes
about 15 in flying condition thats alot of work. any how any info would be of help.
i now need to learn how to change chanel outs on my 14mz .

well thanks capflyr
Old 07-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oops, sorry. My bad.

Because the 14MZ has a different default channel mapping than previous systems, if you want to use the trainer system with a different transmitter, you'll have to have a model in the 14 mapped the same way as the student transmitter. Can't get around that.

If you do a lot of training with your own aircraft, then you can easily make a model in the transmitter that has the channel mapping of the majority of the student transmitters. Even so, if you plan to do a lot of training with other people's airplanes, do the same thing: make a model that has the channels mapped-out as the student transmitters.

If you change the channel-outs of a particular model in the function menu, the actual mixes, though, would not change. They are mapped to a function, so an Aileron->Rudder mix will work, regardless of which channels the aileron and rudder actually use.

However, if you have a bunch of models that you allow others to fly with you on the trainer system, you will have to have those models' channels mapped to accomodate the student transmitters. There is no way for the 14MZ transmitter to know which signal that comes in from the student transmitter is what function. It only maps channel 1 to channel 1, channel 2 to channel 2, and so on. In the function menu of the 14, you tell it what function channel 1 is, and what channel 2 is, and on and on. If the student transmitter is using channel 1 for elevator and channel 2 for aileron and so forth, then you have to set the functions in the 14 to match.