Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Servo Quit

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Sorianoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Quit

I hope you can undertsand how upset I am as i write this. I recently bought a Kyosho Inferno ST-R, which I am sure you already know is a top of the line pro kit. That being said, i wanted top of the line parts in my kit as well. So i asked around about servos, and radios that were top of the line for racing. Keep in mind that I already had a perfectly good Airtronics Radio and servos. So i shelled out $665.00 for these items.

-3PK Titanium Black ($375.00)
-Futaba S9351 High Torque ($110.00)
-Futaba S9151 Servo Digital Rudder ($90.00 x 2)

The radio is amazing and is the best i have ever owned. However, i have had nothing but trouble with the servos. Within a week one of the S9151 stopped working. I wanted more torque for steering so thatss when i bought the S9351, and figured i would fix the other servo and use it as a back-up. I figured it was just a stripped gear, so i ordered a new set of gears for the S9151. Once i opened it up i realized that not only were the gears stripped, but that the servos had absolutly no power. I would not turn on or respond to the Radio, even with the stripped gears changed. So again this was about a month ago, and a week after i bought them. Here is what happened today. I was running my truggy in front of my house and the servos lock in the open position, which almost blew my engine. And yes i did adjust my EPA. Not a big deal i turned it off with my shoes, and took the truck back to my bench to work on it. Then i realized that my throtle servo (my second S9151) had an electrical fire and was smoking. Once i put the small fire out i saw that the whole botton of the server was melted. Then is discovered that the melted plastic had then melting on the wires for my S9351 steering servos.So now my third servos (S9351) is not responding either.

So now that you know the story, I would like to know what are my options? I spent a combined $290.00 on these three servos and now niether of these work. To give you an idea of how new that they were, I had just started to run my second bottle of fuel through my new truggy. I suppose i could just go shell out another $200.00 for a couple servos, but it just does not seem fair. I spent all of this money expecting to get high quality parts , but instead i get 3 blown servos and an electrical fire. So i hope you can understand my fustration. Granted when the servos were working, they were amazing, but do i really want to go buy two new servos after i just spent houndreds of dollars a few months ago. Can someone/anyone help me? This is not what i expected when i bought from Futaba.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Allie33

Default RE: Electrical fire

Greetings,

A very good subject!

I cooked a Futaba servo a few years ago too. Melted the case on the bottom and sides, it was my own fault though. I got one of my mix and match jumper wires mixed to a mis-match. The OLD Airtronics receivers had the positive and negative and signal wires in different positions compared to the rest of the world.

Do a search for the wiring diagram. I can't remember where I saw it.

Hope this helped.

AW

Old 07-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Sorianoda

Can i get some support please?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your servo had an apparent component failure. From your description, there was no actual fire.

The inoperative servos should be sent to the service center per the instructions in this post, at the top of this support forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1131517/tm.htm

Please realize that today is only the second business day after your post. We do get to all posts, usually within 2-3 business days of them being posted in the forum. If you require faster service, please send us a direct email or give us a call.