Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

MPDX channel expander

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPDX channel expander

I have the 14MZ and the MPDX channel expander. The expander is easy to set up but I noticed that when I move the servo that is plugged into it (rudder control for seperat tail wheel servo) that the servo moves in steps.. or jerky. When I move the same servo directly to the reciever it moves smoothly. I tried using a 4.8 volt battery pack and different servos and still jerky. While this works for the retract servos which go from lock to lock, it won't work on proportional channels very well as the movement is not smooth enough for good flight. Any thoughts? I am using a 9 channel PCM Futaba reciever.

Thanks for any help

Randy
Old 05-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: MPDX channel expander

You would not use the MPDX expander for a flight control function. To get the multiplexing so that you can operate several other functions through a single transmitter function, you lose some resolution. The makes it fine for doors, canopies, releases, on/off switching, and so forth, but not anything that you need a smooth operation from.

In the case of using an additional servo for a tailwheel, you'd either want to use a "Y" harness to the rudder channel, or a second channel mixed with the rudder channel. The mix may be the best option because you can better control the curve that determines how the tailwheel mixes with the rudder. In the case of the 12Z or 14MZ, I'd have the tailwheel servo operating off of a second rudder channel.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MPDX channel expander

I see...never seen any mention of that that when I ordered it nor in the instructions that came with it. I may be able to live with the tail wheel, I will have to see how many channel I have left once I get the controls mapped out. Right now I know I need 14 servos, just need to starting thinking on how to best manage them. I bought the MPDX to avoid paying the rediculouse price for the 14 channel Futaba reciever and to use the 9 channel reciever I already had.

Regards,
Randy