Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Engine Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:43 PM
telejojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE Engine Pricing

Does anybody make a pitts muffler for a DL 50?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

So this hobby has come to be about little more than where to get the cheapest parts? I can now understand why so many are unwilling to move up to larger and better flying models. I can also now understand what differentiates those that fly well from those that fly ''sport''.
I don't remember a time when for the most part, it wasn't about the price of parts and equipment. I remember clearly in the early 70s when the whole discounting trend hit the hobby ... so its been with us for quite some time now. Have seen several waves of ''lower cost'' equipment coming into the hobby .... brands that included OS, JR and Futaba to name just a few. These were once low cost imported alternatives to what were more common USA brands. Now these are mainline brands.

I've also known quite a few people that flew on a budget and were expert pilots. I have also known people that only bought the ''name brand'' expensive equipment and they couldn't fly worth a hoot. Its about stick time, not $$$ spent
A good exampleof this was Kraft importing some much less expensive equipment (than their regular gear) from Japan. With plastic cases and gimble components instead of metal. Still, companies such as Futaba and Jr prevailed and are still with us today.

Regards, Richard
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: telejojo

Does anybody make a pitts muffler for a DL 50?
I cut & copied the last 6 words above & pasted it into google search....here is what I got....in about 15 seconds.
http://www.jtecrc.com/dlengineswraparound.htm

Capt,n
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always find it interesting that people will pride themselves in being an American, and in the free enterprise system that we enjoy here, and has allowed a company like Tower Hobbies, or Walmart, or any other big company to go from being someones dream of having their own business, to being a huge success.Then when they get successful through risk taking,hard work and being competitive, the same people want to slam them for being big and competitive and under selling everybody else. I work for the largest home improvment company in the world but in 1987 when the two unemployed founders opened their first store,they would put the empty boxes from their displays up in the overhead racks to make it look like they had lots of goods and they did whatever it took to make their customers happy, and their employees as well. The point is you can't have it both ways ! Tower,Walmart, Home Depot and others gave people what they wanted, good product and good service at a good price and that is why they are successful. I have had nothing but great service from Tower and I've had some really bad service from smaller outfits. I don't think anybody decides to buy something no matter what their budget and says" you know I think I want to pay more for this today" I have a small hardware store in my town that is doing well because the owner got competitive and niched himself into the market by providing great service and knowing what his market is. I buy from him when I can and when it makes sense. I will most likely buy my DLE from Jody rather than Tower because he's competitive his shipping is fair and I just like to spread the wealth around. Who knows maybe some day he will be the next Tower Hobbies hopefully we won't be here bashing him for being successful.Think about it.[8D]
Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Whatever you find for a DA DL DLE DLA 50/55 fits yours
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I always find it interesting that people will pride themselves in being an American, and in the free enterprise system that we enjoy here, and has allowed a company like Tower Hobbies, or Walmart, or any other big company to go from being someones dream of having their own business, to being a huge success.Then when they get successful through risk taking,hard work and being competitive, the same people want to slam them for being big and competitive and under selling everybody else. I work for the largest home improvment company in the world but in 1987 when the two unemployed founders opened their first store,they would put the empty boxes from their displays up in the overhead racks to make it look like they had lots of goods and they did whatever it took to make their customers happy, and their employees as well. The point is you can't have it both ways ! Tower,Walmart, Home Depot and others gave people what they wanted, good product and good service at a good price and that is why they are successful. I have had nothing but great service from Tower and I've had some really bad service from smaller outfits. I don't think anybody decides to buy something no matter what their budget and says'' you know I think I want to pay more for this today'' I have a small hardware store in my town that is doing well because the owner got competitive and niched himself into the market by providing great service and knowing what his market is. I buy from him when I can and when it makes sense. I will most likely buy my DLE from Jody rather than Tower because he's competitive his shipping is fair and I just like to spread the wealth around. Who knows maybe some day he will be the next Tower Hobbies hopefully we won't be here bashing him for being successful.Think about it.[8D]
I agree completely. I was a college student in the late '70s, and Tower Hobbies had a 24-HOUR Customer Service number, toll-free! They would send you a catalogue just for asking, and it held an unbelieveable number of products, as well as some great reference material - like dimensions for nearly every glow motor available. You could call at 3 AM and get a human who either knew the answer or would call you back quickly. Had a Sailaire in my dorm room, thanks to Tower.

Tower is a business, and it got big by taking care of customers. They still offer customer service that is head and shoulders above most independent hobby shops. On top of that, they drive the prices down. I wouldn't want to compete against them!

Niche marketing is the only way to survive against Tower/Walmart/Best Buy/Home Depot/Lowe's/Costco. Jodi is one heck of a nice, helpful guy on this forum - and he's darn smart to be here. He's promoting his products, gaining valuable exposure for his business, building a client base, establishing trust, and gaining an understanding of what customers want - all at the same time! If Tower manages to "own" DLE as an exclusive distributor, Jodi will no doubt find another manufacturer to provide him with a competitive/superior product at a marketable price - and his customers will embrace it because of the relationship with Jodi. He will continue to offer unique products - and as long as he specializes in products that Tower doesn't think they can sell hundreds of, he can maintain better margins. If he's too successful, Tower will be carrying carbon-fiber-look props....

Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 PM
raubold

In some way you'r right, but even me being anything but rich. Saving is my goal too but whining because Tower only sells better prices to super saver members and sutch on and on, sorry even 269 is a graet price and value, you can barely buy a 3W ignition for that
Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 PM
raubold

Hi Trent, stii have the little Delta i sold you ??
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Octopus RC
My Feedback: (2)

216USD is a base line which Hobbico can offer for now .
But 216USD as retail price still have Enough profit for others to follow DLE or copy DLE.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

the Big monoply that Tower has. It seems like Great plains & other big sellers of hobby products are all tied in together in Illinois.
Keep that money flowing into Illinois everybody....WE NEED IT CAUSE WE ARE BROKE BROKE BROKE!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So where is everyone going to go price shopping when all the have left is Tower and Horizon? Who's going to be selling the products that both bought up and phased out? Who's going to do all the legwork in improving quality and reliability if they learn there's not going to be a reward on the other end of all the work? If you folks think Tower and Horizon are going to be doing that work, think again, they simply sell you the improved product or component at a higher price the next time. Or has everyone failed to note trends in hobby products and pricing over the last few years?

Ya'll have a WalMart mentality and I hate to think that what I see shopping in WalMart is representative of this hobby.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I always find it interesting that people will pride themselves in being an American, and in the free enterprise system that we enjoy here, and has allowed a company like Tower Hobbies, or Walmart, or any other big company to go from being someones dream of having their own business, to being a huge success.Then when they get successful through risk taking,hard work and being competitive, the same people want to slam them for being big and competitive and under selling everybody else. .[8D]
raptureboy

I was going to say something intelligent, but changed my mind.LOL However what you said reminded me of this cute little video that sums up what I was thinking when I read your post.
http://sendables.jibjab.com/originals/big_box_mart

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
ckangaroo70

Tired Old Man
My thoughts exactly!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Ya'll have a WalMart mentality and I hate to think that what I see shopping in WalMart is representative of this hobby.
Seems that if you saw something at Walmart, you had to be there to see it!! I guess you're one of those folks too! Hmm, got caught in your own trap there TOM. Get off your high horse and come on down to earth with the rest of us "low life" types.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Don't need to go to Wal-Mart to see the people that shop there. My optic nerves are scared for life by catchingglimpses of photos sent to my inbox from here, http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/hey look, there's "ol_seabee".

I know TOM personally, he's NOT one of them.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Don't need to go to Wal-Mart to see the people that shop there. My optic nerves are scared for life by catching glimpses of photos sent to my inbox from here, http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ hey look, there's ''ol_seabee''. [img][/img]

hope not, cuz i listen to him like Rush (j/K)

i do listen to TOM though
Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: raubold

Hi Trent, stii have the little Delta i sold you ??
Long gone, I think - too many planes out in my workshop to be sure....
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Trent,

Well said!

Heck, I even agree with T.O.M.

Must be time for another treatment.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is so much more to this subject then meets the eye as it is stated. One thing that always comes to mind when reading the posts of the "screamers" is that they themselves live double-standards. They gripe about foreign markets, but yet 90% of what they own comes from those foreign suppliers!

I think we just don't look at our own problems close enough before we point out all the others. Maybe I should come complaining about your roof while the water is pouring in my house?

A man will say, I don't shop at Walmart because everything they have comes from japan or china and yet he will fly his RC plane with a jap or chinese made radio - imagine that!

Think about this one. Someone buys something from Tower Hobbies and then decides to sell it to a friend. The friend jumps on the bargain never asking where that great deal came from. Now if he lives by his standard of not supporting Tower Hobbies should he ask where the great used bargain came from? Is the friend supporting Tower Hobbies? Ah...at some point the rubber meets the road

Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself am a bargain hunter. When it comes to buying a new gasser I make sure whoever I buy from can service the engine and has a good reputation for customer service. The customer service in my book out weighs the cost every time. You can find both good price and customer service, you just have to look. I like many others also like to support my LHS.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I used to like Tower before they were consumed by the "Evil Empire". I rarely buy from them, only if I have to. If they end up being the only outlet for DLE engines, I'll use some other engine brand.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:39 AM
SpinnerRow

So where is everyone going to go price shopping when all the have left is Tower and Horizon?
Tower and Horizon??? Do I get a cookie?

Who's going to be selling the products that both bought up and phased out?
Tower and Horizon??? Do I get a cookie?

Who's going to do all the legwork in improving quality and reliability if they learn there's not going to be a reward on the other end of all the work? If you folks think Tower and Horizon are going to be doing that work, think again, they simply sell you the improved product or component at a higher price the next time.
Good ole capitalism at work. Simple supply and demand. If people are willing to pay the price, then they charge more. If not, they charge less. I still don't see anything wrong with this.

Or has everyone failed to note trends in hobby products and pricing over the last few years?
From my view point, everything is trending up in price. And I mean EVERYTHING. Not just hobby stuff. If it hasn't in your area, then it is time for the whole country to relocate to your neck of the woods.

So you are admitting to shopping at WalMart?? Pass by a mirror lately?

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Don't need to go to Wal-Mart to see the people that shop there. My optic nerves are scared for life by catching glimpses of photos sent to my inbox from here, http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ hey look, there's ''ol_seabee''. [img][/img]

Are you sure TOM isn't in one of those pics?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:41 AM
SpinnerRow

Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Octopus RC
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

I used to like Tower before they were consumed by the ''Evil Empire''. I rarely buy from them, only if I have to. If they end up being the only outlet for DLE engines, I'll use some other engine brand.
Hobbico may feel sad when read your post . LoL
Any way , Smart Choice ~~!!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 AM
ckangaroo70

Well I would never claim that I never shop at Walmarts or Tower. I have spent money with both. They are both like a bad smoking habit of which I did finally quit 3 years ago. Quitting those cigs was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and it is funny how the mind lies to itself "oh..I will just have one today, but tommorow I am thru!" Once I even thru a pack out the window and ran down to the gas station an hour later to buy a pack. I am just turning 40 and I quit when I was 37 years old because my wife was booting me to the couch because I was wheezing in my sleep and keeping her awake. Well that finally did it for me and I got bull headed and quit. A 37 year old with lungs that sounded like mine was pathetic and I am fairly active and am a bricklayer by trade who gets plenty of excercise at work, and after 3 years of not smoking I breathe great. Now if I could just break the addiction to those everyday lower then low prices and those darn Tower discount codes.....I could feel pretty good about myself! The way I view it is much like a smoking habit. I really really really loved those smokes until they made me sick after 20 years of puffing on them. Well I will enjoy those Tower codes and everyday low prices up until the day every descent job in this country has been out sourced to China. I am not trying to bash or be unpoliticaly correct, but it is just obvious to me where things are headed and have been heading and we have lost our way. Not just YOU, but I am just as guilty as the next. I don't sit up on no high horse and judge others....I just always ask the question "what are WE going to do about it together?" Just keep puffing on those smokes till they put us in the grave or get bull headed and try to change our spending habits and where we spend our money? It is a very very very hard thing to do and almost beyond the abillity of the average american to pass up a good deal. Americans love getting a bargain!
The government gets involved in to many things in our lives, but in this case..this is where they could step up and impose higher tarrifs on all these cheap foriegn goods that are built off the backs of slave-like wages. Americans want stuff dirt cheap, but also want to make a nice living themselves. Those two things do not go hand in hand and even the hardest working americans can not compete against someone making $5 a day. I'll get off my soap box now and get back to browsing Towers website and feeding my terrible addiction to Tower codes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.