Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-20 issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE-20 issue

Guys, I was wondering if anyone else out there is having a similar issue with their DLE-20 and what they did to fix it. Ipurchased mine through Aero-Works with their .60-.90 size profile. From the word go, this has been the hardest starting gas motor Ihave ever run and then it sounds like it has a miss to it. Almost like it is an ignition issue. When at full throttle or in the mid range, it just sounds like it is having firing issues. It just pops and sounds like crap. I have watched several videos and the ones on the videos sound clean and great. Mine sounds like crap. So, I am running Stihl HP Ultra at 40:1 in it with a Xoar 16x8 prop. The spark plug gap is set at .020 and it is a NGK CM-6. So, Idon't know if I should try another plug, widen the gap or if it is the ignition modual itself. Between the pops or misses, it sounds good so it is not that it is rich and that is causing a typical mid range burble if you will. It just doesn't sound like a tuning issue. Also, I purchased the motor in Feb of this year and it only has 6-7 runs on it as well because the weather here in the midwest has flat out sucked this year so far. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jason
Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE-20 issue

I would try another ignition
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep! Also make sure you are using a GOOD battery, not a "throw away" battery that is no longer good for a flight pack.

You can also try going to a 6 volt battery. I have had this clear up issues with weak ignitions, but don't go higher than a 6.6 volt batt.

AV8TOR
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
blainer48

I am using a brand new Fromeco 7.4V, 2600mAh Li-Ion regulated with a Smart-Fly Ignition regulator. I will see if I have a 6V Nicad or NiMH laying around and try that. Iam just starting to think it is an ignition issue. Thanks guys.

Jason
Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

If changing batteries doesn't do it, try changing ignitions. If that doesn't fix it, suspect a reed valve problem.

My brother had a Ryobi start running crappy and sounding like yours, and we found a crack in the reed valve seating area.

AV8TOR
Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Plug cap all the way on? It is hard to get all the way on. Should make a snap sound and cover the WHOLE plug.

You probably have it all the way on, just thought I would throw it out there.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While you have that cap off...take a look and see if the tiny little spring is showing good. If it is not..make a small hook on the end of a T pin and use it to pull the spring down in place a tad. You want a good connection to the end post of the spark plug when it is in place. Capt,n
Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Cherokee Flyer

Also the book says 30-1 not 40-1 you might be a little short on oil hand have a heat issue.

L.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 PM
scooterinvegas

Stihl HP Ultra at 40:1 is no good according to Jody.

Stihl HP Ultra is good stuff. 40:1 is fine for everything BUT a DLE that Jody might ever look into.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 PM
blainer48

According to people I have talked to you can run the stihl with no problems for 32:1-50:1 and you are fine. The motor is mounted on a profile and so with that it is hanging out in the open. It is not cowled in so heating is not an issue.

Jason
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Try 4.8 Battery without the voltage reducer, run the battery directly to the ignition....
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
jedijody

The DLE20 requires 32:1 minimumfuel/oil ratio, read the manual. We administrate the DLE warranty for Aeroworks, if your engine has a failure and inspection reveals that the factory recommended oil raio could have prevented it it would not be covered under warranty.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The DLE20 requires 32:1 minimum fuel/oil ratio, read the manual. ............................................... if your engine has a failure
and inspection reveals that the factory recommended oil ratio could have prevented it it would not be covered under warranty.

THAT needs to be made into a sticky for this forum!

Not to be splitting hairs, but doesn't the manual state 30:1?
Not that anyone can tell that itty-bitty of a difference.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 AM
blainer48

Well, the times I have called and tried to talk to you Jody, you seem to treatpeople on the phone as ifthey are wasting your time. Probably some of the worst customer supportI have had dealing with someone in the RC business. Icanpromise you that nomatter what ratio Irun this motor at, it will still do the same. Itried breaking it in using Lawnboy at 32:1 and youJody,told me that was the worst thing Icould do to the motor. So, switched to the same fuel I was running in my DA's. Ionly ran half a tank, about 6 ounches if that of the stihl hp ultra at 40:1. The motor still ran the same as it did with the lawnboy at 32:1. The needles do not adjust the missing or popping out so it is not a tuning issue. It has to be something either with the spark or ignition. Iam not an expert, nor do I claim to be, but I know it isn't a tuning issue.

Jason
Old 06-05-2011, 05:33 AM
blainer48

Besides, the engine did not have a failure and I have read the..........manual. I'll tell you what. I will run it at 32:1 and if it still does it, what are you going to say then. The manual, the tach, the needle settings and so forth aren't going to fix the ignition issue if that is what it is. Seems to me DLE does not want to stand behind their motors. Which is not a shock since they are throw aways. And, as the other guy just said, the manual as you so stand for says 30:1. So, not to be picky, but the manual says what it says. So, if my motor where to have a failure, and it was inspected and someone servicing asked what type and ratio of oil I was using and I said 32:1, seems they could say "well, the manual says 30:1 so we are not covering it." So, as usual, Jody still never answers or deals with the issue that is at hand. Instead, just tries to point out how stupid you are that you are not him. A popping and missing motor is not related to the oil/fuel raito. I do know that. Ijust wanted to know what DLE would do to help correct it. I guess my answer is what I expected, nothing.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 AM
bgw45

That is not my experience with Jody. He has been straight up and helpful.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: blainer48

Well, the times I have called and tried to talk to you Jody, you seem to treatpeople on the phone as ifthey are wasting your time. Probably some of the worst customer supportI have had dealing with someone in the RC business. Icanpromise you that nomatter what ratio Irun this motor at, it will still do the same. Itried breaking it in using Lawnboy at 32:1 and youJody,told me that was the worst thing Icould do to the motor. So, switched to the same fuel I was running in my DA's. Ionly ran half a tank, about 6 ounches if that of the stihl hp ultra at 40:1. The motor still ran the same as it did with the lawnboy at 32:1. The needles do not adjust the missing or popping out so it is not a tuning issue. It has to be something either with the spark or ignition. Iam not an expert, nor do I claim to be, but I know it isn't a tuning issue.

Jason

Besides, the engine did not have a failure and I have read the..........manual. I'll tell you what. I will run it at 32:1 and if it still does it, what are you going to say then. The manual, the tach, the needle settings and so forth aren't going to fix the ignition issue if that is what it is. Seems to me DLE does not want to stand behind their motors. Which is not a shock since they are throw aways. And, as the other guy just said, the manual as you so stand for says 30:1. So, not to be picky, but the manual says what it says. So, if my motor where to have a failure, and it was inspected and someone servicing asked what type and ratio of oil I was using and I said 32:1, seems they could say "well, the manual says 30:1 so we are not covering it." So, as usual, Jody still never answers or deals with the issue that is at hand. Instead, just tries to point out how stupid you are that you are not him. A popping and missing motor is not related to the oil/fuel raito. I do know that. Ijust wanted to know what DLE would do to help correct it. I guess my answer is what I expected, nothing.
I'm sure you will not get what you want with those statements. You are probably on your own now?

Try another ignition!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:22 AM
KoleDeRacer
My Feedback: (5)

Rebuild the carb mine did that when i got it the float hight was wrong or something like that.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 AM
blainer48

Indealing with ValleyView, I assumed Iwas on my own in the first place. Why do you think I was asking on the forums? To see what more reasonable thinking people would offer for advice or direction. Ihave called ValleyView twice to speak with Jody and both times feel it was a waste of time. You can not explain tosomeone on the phone exactly what is going on without them hearing the motor for themselves. When someone describes an issue and what it is doing, you would think a motor guy would be able to sort through what is going on instead of throwing fuel ratios at you. Ihave explained to the person at ValleyView that I have switched tanks, fuel lines, clunks in the tank and just about anything else that could be fuel system related. Guess what, same problems continued. Reset the needles to factory setting each time Itried a new solution and guess what, same problem.I was told Lawnboy at 32:1 was the "worst thing Icoulddo to the engine" by ValleyView.So, after trying different fuel and oil and the same problem continues, Iwould start to assume the only thingleft is the ignition or somethingwith the motor all together. I am sure others would draw the same conclusion. You canonly try so many things before the last thing left is the motor and the components it came with.A simple customer can only do so many things and when from the very first start of the motor, there wereissues, that tells me it is something outside my hands to fix. I justhate when these businesses try to treat everyone as idiots andassume we do not know what we are talking about. I have runenough giant scale gas motors to know this one has something wrong that fuel and tuning the needles is not going to fix.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

If you want to send it to me I WILL make it run..If not I WILL give you another one, I have two left here...
Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 AM
blainer48

Thanks Antique. Isent you an email and PM. Iappreciate the offer a ton.

Jason
Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

ORIGINAL: Antique

If you want to send it to me I WILL make it run..If not I WILL give you another one, I have two left here...
Seems like pretty good customer service to me...just sayin'
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 AM
blainer48

And that is why Isaid I appreciated it and thanked him. That is also why I sent him a PMand email.

Jason
Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Jezmo

I may have missed this since my old eyes don't work that good any more on this small text. (Maybe that's why I keep building bigger planes LOL) If it's already been stated forgive the redundancy but my DLE had a bad Hall Effect when it was new and made for a poor idle and very hard starting. After changing the Hall Effect sensor I never had another second of trouble with it. We've had several at my club with the same issue and changing the Hall Effect sensor fixed them as well. In fairness one was because the little plastic holder was angled upwards leaving a large gap between it and the magnet. Setting the gap on that one fixed it for a while but it eventually went Tango Uniform and had to be replaced as well.

Edited to add: The Hall Effect Sensors I bought from Bill at CH were a different number than the ones that came with my RCExl ignitions and to date I've never had one supplied by CH fail. I have replaced all of my DLE sensors with those supplied by Bill at CH. I am not sharp enough to understand what the difference could be but there must be one or I was really unlucky with the RCExl sensors as they all eventually failed on me. Also, just for info, none of my RCExl CDI boxes have failed other than the sensor.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

ORIGINAL: blainer48

And that is why I said I appreciated it and thanked him. That is also why I sent him a PM and email.

Jason
It was not my intention to criticize you, but rather to compliment him. No offense was intended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.