Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Discussion?

I thought this was a tennis match!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

There are discount store saws, consumer mid grade saws and professional saws. I would bet if anyone ever converted the high end stuff these days, they would find performance right on par or better than our so called RC engines.

Many saw based engines can more than keep up with the so called purpose built engines. How about the Taurus 52, etc. Good as anything in its class and will last a very long.

This is an old discussion that won't be solved here.
Taurus engines were originally in chainsaws?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything but the crankcase and ignition.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

There are discount store saws, consumer mid grade saws and professional saws. I would bet if anyone ever converted the high end stuff these days, they would find performance right on par or better than our so called RC engines.

Many saw based engines can more than keep up with the so called purpose built engines. How about the Taurus 52, etc. Good as anything in its class and will last a very long.

This is an old discussion that won't be solved here.
Taurus engines were originally in chainsaws?
Other than the purpose built crankcase and prop drive hub, the cylinder, piston, rod and crankshaft came straight from a Sachs based chainsaw! Good stuff too.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we plewase get off the chain saw and weed wacker engine thing? Yes back in the day we did what we did to go gas. However today in comparing a blower motor, weed wacker or chain saw engine is like comparing oranges to apples. Yes you can take an engine and convert it and be able to fly with it.

Almost all of them have either a Walboro carb or clone and can be converted easily. But I just don't see what this has to do with the original post.

Maybe nice to take the conversions over to the forum that says "Conversions"?

My 2 cents
Glenn Williams
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Whistling Death

It grew out of me making fun of pre-tuned DA engines.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The subject of the original post has been dealt with here and the issue was resolved under warranty. Not much else to talk about now and the thread will just sort of fade away after a bit idle chit chat. Sorry if that offends but is fairly normal for most threads as they die.

Some of us have to respond to some statements even if they are off topic.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's the popcorn eating deer?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Whistling Death

Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have found that the weedeater string length does matter a lot as to how much power the thing has. I borrowed a friends just this last week and it was very sensative to this. So what have we learned here kids? Tune your engine to the prop you are using. Hopefully it is close to the right size. This could be the problem a lot of people have with tuning their engine. It could even have been part of my issue tuning my JBA 15cc.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly with a few others who have DLE 30cc in there 3D machine. I'm still flying glow but I do have a DLE 20cc on a Hangar 9 J3 Cub which has not be tested. Two of the 3D airplanes have had similar problems with there engines. They returned the power plants to the vendors and received replacement free of charge. You can expect Tower Hobbies to do likewise if they determine it was a manufactured defect and not that of the owner. Paying more for quality does have its benifits. I found out the hardway when I purchased an ASP 1.8 FS from Hobby People.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: the pope

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: bgw45

I think it because they are priced available to more people. I know a bunch of Top Brand users in my area that don't attempt repair, don't even tune much. Since they have the great warranty, the ''problem'' just goes back to the maker. They don't boast or complain much since someone else is doing their work.
Now that's a perspective I've not heard before, but there's probably a lot of truth in it.
They don't boast or complain much because they do not know *****t from shinola!...............[img][/img]
Howdy whats shinola? Oh *****. Cheers the pope
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50628.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1632922  
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I fly with a few others who have DLE 30cc in there 3D machine. I'm still flying glow but I do have a DLE 20cc on a Hangar 9 J3 Cub which has not be tested. Two of the 3D airplanes have had similar problems with there engines. They returned the power plants to the vendors and received replacement free of charge. You can expect Tower Hobbies to do likewise if they determine it was a manufactured defect and not that of the owner. Paying more for quality does have its benifits. I found out the hardway when I purchased an ASP 1.8 FS from Hobby People.
I have never had to return an engine. Was there really a warranty issue or just an inability to get them to run?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM
flycatch

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your question. One engine had a sheared crankshaft pin and the other seized in flight. I can't speak for the circumstances that led to these failures but in each circumstance I was told the vendor replaced the engine at no cost to them.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 AM
stratosn

Let me add some. as far a breaking in an engine........... Synthetic won't work. Use regular Lawn Boy oil to break it in then go to the Synthetic. Some engines don't ever break in with synthetic. It is so slick you can't break an engine in correct. i worked on jet engines in the navy in 1960 and they were using synthetic and I wondered what in the world is that stuff. I said that is'nt real oil. Maybe this will help. I got two cans of fuel, one with the lawn boy for break ins and one with the Amsoil for the rest of them andd I got over a dozen gas engines, DA's to Zenoah's. This is from what I read in the oil journals. Of course my favorite is Moble One. I use it in all my cars. They all got 100,000 on them and don't drip a drop and run fine. Thanks again, Nicky Pooh
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ground ran the replacement DLE 20 that Tower sent. No problems. Didn't have to touch the needles. Flew for the first time ok. A little rich in the air. Slightly leaned the high needle. It's running great.