Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DJ80 from sds hobby or amr hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DJ80 from sds hobby or amr hobby

Have to send back a DJ80 engine from sds hobby. after a few break in runs I flew my 1/3 scale cub and it ran great for the maiden flight. The next time to the field it was giving me trouble starting so took it back home and next day ran it in the back yard. it started then stopped and when I went to prop it again it made a grinding screeching sound. I thought, this cant be good. I guess it lunched a bearing. I am now waiting to hear from sds hobby for instruction so I can send it back. The motor looks great and ran great, good power etc for the one flight. Has anyone else had any problems with theirs? Thanks for reading

Ron
Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
xcellair

Default RE: DJ80 from sds hobby or amr hobby

hi flat,
have you had any luck getting the motor repaired ,,or , any responce, ,,I have just been sent one from the manufacturer, to review.

if its any help, i can ask them to get back to you,or give you there address and the guy I am dealing with,

glad to hear you thought it ran well, untill it stopped, send me a message if you want, will see if i can help,,

i think they would like to see them out being used,is what I am expecting, and if they fix yours,

its a plus for you and what you tell friends and flyers around you,

let me know, Phill
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Flatspin-RCU

hello Phil..I received a email from a man named Leoliao from DJengines who explained what they found with my motor. They also sent pictures including the note I sent with the motor explaining what happened. As it turned out there was not enough clearence between the crank and engine case. They installed a new crank and a new piston, one with a single ring instead of two. They made some claims that I would see 100 to 150 more rpms and less vibration with the new piston because its a little lighter. I am now waiting for the motor to arrive from SDS hobby. There was quite a hassel with shipping it back but I should get it 5 to 12 days from today..(27th) At first I was disappointed that I was not getting a brand new one but then after thinking about it, I may have gotten another one with similar problems. So I mite be better off getting mine back after repair. I would think they would at least test run it at the factory. I'll let you know how it runs when I get it back in my 1/3 scale clipped wing cub.

Ron
Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 AM
xcellair

thanks flat, i would like to know what setup you use, fuel mix, and prop and reves recorded, I was planning to do a review, i be glad to add anything you may add,, even videos,if they are useable, anything, you find share it, thanks again,, Phill
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

I bet you saved a ton of money.