Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50R vs DA-100L Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
A5fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50R vs DA-100L Vibration

Hello,
I have what some may consider an odd question: For anyone who has experience running a DA-50 and a DA-100, running at about the same rpm, can you notice a significant difference in vibration? We have a research application where power is not an issue, but what we want to fly is very sensitive to vibration. I assume a horizontally opposed engine would run smoother than a single cylinder engine. We plan to properly mount with all of the best isolation gear, but I would like to limit the source of vibration, even if it means getting a heavier engine.

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: DA-50R vs DA-100L Vibration

Yes, an opposed twin is smoother than a single.

Do you need a 100cc engine for your project? No, I'm not selling one but do have some suggestions for another engine if you can get by with something smaller. That would be a Zenoah GT-80 twin converted to electronic ignition. Incredible smoothness from idle to full throttle .... quite a bit smoother than the DA=100.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 50 has about 40% more vibration. You cannot completely counter balance a single without adding pounds to the crank.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 PM
A5fly

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

The 50 has about 40% more vibration. You cannot completely counter balance a single without adding pounds to the crank.
Wow that is quite a bit more! I am not doubting you, I was just wondering how you know the 40% number. HAve you seen it measured somehow? That number would be very useful to me if true.

Also, thanks for the reply truckracer. 50cc would be enough power for me, but I am concerned about the vibration. I have never tried a Zenoah before. My experience has been with DA and Fuji engines.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: A5fly

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Wow that is quite a bit more! I am not doubting you, I was just wondering how you know the 40% number. HAve you seen it measured somehow? That number would be very useful to me if true.
From your response it is quite obvious that you are a newcomer to this forum, or you would never have asked T.O.M such a question. It is very possible that no one knows more about DA engines and their running performance than he does. Take what he tells you to the bank.

Karol
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work with stuff that has similar issues with vibration and vibration isolation. You cannot eliminate combustion impulses but you can isolate the "sensitive" items from them. Takes a lot of mechanical and software engineering at both ends of the unit. Looks like you're out in an area that recently obtained a CoA at an airport.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
A5fly

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.