Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Using servos with nylon output shafts in a gasser

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Using servos with nylon output shafts in a gasser

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Using servos with nylon output shafts in a gasser

When using nylon output shaft servos in a small gas engined model, is it necessary to take any additional precations to guard against the servo arm retaining screw from vibrating loose from the output shaft, or is the friction between the metal screw and the nylon shaft sufficient to keep it tight ?

Karol
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
dogshome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using servos with nylon output shafts in a gasser

I have 5 spektrum servos on the elevator, throttle and ailerons of my 26cc Yak. No trouble in 4 years.

On the 50cc I tend to put a dob of thick superglue next to the edge the head of any nylon servos (throttle) after it's screwed in just in case.

You know not to use Loctite on plastic gears, so I shan't remind you!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: dogshome

You know not to use Loctite on plastic gears, so I shan't remind you!
That much I know for sure

Karol
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Giant Stik that has flown with everything from a 42cc single that was quite a shaker, to the 50cc twin I presently have on it. It has been flying for years with Futaba 3010 servos with no problems. (Plastic gears and output shaft, no thread glues.)

My gas 72" Katana, 72" Giles, big 76" Tiger Moth biplane, and others all have the same basic setup with no problems and many aggressive flights. Note however that I don't fly 3D, and would probably need stronger servos if I did.

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I have a Giant Stik that has flown with everything from a 42cc single that was quite a shaker, to the 50cc twin I presently have on it. It has been flying for years with Futaba 3010 servos with no problems. (Plastic gears and output shaft, no thread glues.)

My gas 72" Katana, 72" Giles, big 76" Tiger Moth biplane, and others all have the same basic setup with no problems and many aggressive flights. Note however that I don't fly 3D, and would probably need stronger servos if I did.

AV8TOR
Which airplane do you like the best....the 72" Kantana or the 72" Giles? Thanks Capt,n
Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No extra precautions needed with the screws used in nylon output shaftes. The problem children are the metal output shafts using machine thread screws. A lockwasher is not enough.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the Giles, but the Katana does fly a bit nicer. The Giles will snap on you a lot easier than the Katana. I can drag the Katana in for really slow, slow landings without worrying about it snapping on me. The Giles will snap if I pull too much elevator coming out of a loop or dive. Both of them have reasonable c.g.'s and elevator throws set up so that shouldn't be causing it, but the wing loading is a bit higher on the Giles.

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this past saturday had a cheapo hitec 311 fail as a choke servo on my 3w80cc... i didnt strip it just died........ i did an emergency repair, luckily my buddy brought his cordless drill with him... i drilled a hole in the FW to use the old manual push rod method with a 4-40 all thread rod and a ball link.... it worked like a charm
Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Timber29
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

No extra precautions needed with the screws used in nylon output shaftes. The problem children are the metal output shafts using machine thread screws. A lockwasher is not enough.
yup had one come loose with a lockwasher on my Aileron last year. Now I always add a little blue lock tight