Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE plug cap/plug mod...yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DLE plug cap/plug mod...yes/no?

as a newbie i look into all ways to solve any issue before it is an issue.
the postings on this board have convinced me that pushing the plug cap onto the plug for this maker is a rather tough one.
so i ask, would filing a slight round on the corners of the plug help with the installation/removal of the plug cap?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DLE plug cap/plug mod...yes/no?

It probably would make it easy to remove the sparkplug...but you do not want it to come loose when flying. Capt,n
Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If it's a problem for you. Take the snap ring off the end of the plug boot. Then after each install, put a zip tie or safety wire around the same spot. You won't have it off very often though. May not be worth the hassle.

david
Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: summerwind

as a newbie i look into all ways to solve any issue before it is an issue.
the postings on this board have convinced me that pushing the plug cap onto the plug for this maker is a rather tough one.
so i ask, would filing a slight round on the corners of the plug help with the installation/removal of the plug cap?
The cap works very well as designed. You can easily push it on with a leather glove or a small piece of wood in the palm of your hand. Push firmly straight on! You can easily remove the cap using a small screwdriver and pry it a bit between the head and the bottom edge of the cap. Once it starts to come off, you easily remove it the rest of the way with your finders. It also stays on very well when in use which is a very good thing.

Of course you can modify the cap as suggested by others, Capt'n John has often suggested a common mod using a small screw type hose clamp to retain the cap while making it easier to install and remove .... and it still remains reliable. This is truly one of those things where it is all just a matter of personal preference.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The solution is the same as it has always been...push harder and seat the cap. Removal is easy...spread the cap halves with a thin screwdriver.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the plug capis fine on RCxcell ignitions it just take some elbow grease to put on, and a pull and a twist to get it off.... the tighter it is the better[8D] you dont want it all loose and sloppy now do ya?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys are right.............i'm just now getting the DR1 finished and gettin close to hookin things up and thought i'd ask.
i've read so much here and learned more about gas engines than any books written on the subject that i am down to the fine lines of things.
i'll leave things as they are.............