Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Avenger 60 synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Avenger 60 synthetic oil

I was just introduced to the 'Avenger 60' two cycle oil advertised as specially developed for gas powered model aero engines by Synthetic Performance Lubricants, and am curious as to just how good it is in comparison to say Stihl Ultra or Red Line oils.

Karol
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Avenger 60 synthetic oil

Here we go again.......
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
hanko

lawn fags better
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beats the crap outta me, but I have an idea.

Take three engines and install them on REALLY heavy airplanes. Use gas tanks large enough to fly for 20 to 24 hours continuous at high middle to high power settings while using a race prop. No more than 8 hours down time between flights. Provide minimal cooling and fly all three planes in ambient temps ranging from -25C to +60C until the engine fail. Note the times then do a tear down. Then repeat that process about 500 times.

Let us know what you observed. I guarantee you'll know about the oil's qualities than the manufacturer does.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Beats the crap outta me, but I have an idea.

Take three engines and install them on REALLY heavy airplanes. Use gas tanks large enough to fly for 20 to 24 hours continuous at high middle to high power settings while using a race prop. No more than 8 hours down time between flights. Provide minimal cooling and fly all three planes in ambient temps ranging from -25C to +60C until the engine fail. Note the times then do a tear down. Then repeat that process about 500 times.

Let us know what you observed. I guarantee you'll know about the oil's qualities than the manufacturer does.

might as well stick with Stihl Ultra[8D] TOM has done all the work
Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 PM
CustomPC

I use the SPL Avenger oil in my my glow planes because it is one of the few ester based synthetics that is soluble in Methanol.

It has performed very well for me.

So far i have not tried it in any gas engines. I discovered this thread while researching my first gas engine purchase.

FWIW, Avenger is the oil which Cooper Fuels used to put in their fuels.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

S&W fuels in Tatamy, PA has been around a while and are pretty well known for model airplane glow fuels and also in gokart situations.

Price is $11/qt

Where do you plane to purchase the Avenger 60 synthetic oil?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Tired Old Man

I'll fall back on the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I certainly don't have the time, or the expense account, to start testing over again with a singular product. It's not worth the time and effort. let the manufacturers PROVE the product, not just provide basic data sheets and press reports. There's a hell of a lot more to oil quality and performance than what is found in data sheets, and because someone has been using a given oil for a "long time" means next to nothing. I mean, really, how many hours do most people fly in a day, week, month, year with a given engine and what condictions is that engine subjected to. Most people don't put 50 hours a year on an engine and that's just barely double what it takes to meet 100% break in requirements.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. It's hard for me to do more than 100 hrs a year and I live where the weather is pretty much flyable year round.

P.S. I've already proven to myself I can get 4 years on a DL50 running Redline so from my point of view - It ain't broke and I ain't changin' oils.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Tired Old Man

My point exactly.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I'll just stick to using my favorite - Klotz KL-305. I have been using this oil for more than 10 years on many different engines without any problems. The Tygon lines in my planes are stained red, but are still flexible after more than 7 seasons. Why should/would I want to change oils because a newer wizz-bang oil is suddenly available?

Going to make some pop-corn......

Bliksem

Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

Got another idea.

Mount the engine on a mount, overload it with a larger prop to boost engine temperatures to around 200-250. Run it full bore for 6 solid hours and then tear it down and share the pictures with us.

Elson
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Tired Old Man

Not too many will post pics of the ugly kid. Specially when they have to say it's their kid.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just for the record I now use Red Line Racing, thanks in part to Pat and I have no intention of switching. I heard about this SPL brand of oil and just out of curiousity I asked a question here, which in hindsight I should have known better, and so I got poked but good for my trouble. So now I'm outta here.

Karol
Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Tired Old Man

Karol,

I really can't see a petro chemical firm expending the resources to develop an RC engine specific oil. That's the part that got me to thinking hard about it.

My other point is there are so many already proven products out there it's just not worth the time, labor and expense required to make determinations. On my level I'd expend the equivilant of $5,000.00 and burn up several engines just to obtain a basic feel for the stuff. Another $20,000.00 or so to have all the ducks in a row to make a solid call.

I wasn't burning you, but the concept of running a very ardous series of tests to learn about only one oil. Since I know Stihl HP Ultra will set the stage for an engine to go 700 hours or more under the most severe conditions, with only ring wear as evidence of age, there's just no reason to do the work. For most people 700 hours of engine operational time is longer than they'll be in the hobby. At 15 minutes per flight that's 2,800 flights!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see using the Avenger SPL 60 oil being any different than using Horizon's Evolution oil or Morgan's
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
I really can't see a petro chemical firm expending the resources to develop an RC engine specific oil. That's the part that got me to thinking hard about it.
I suspect they may have "packaged" some oil specifically for RC engine use and then had a little game with words.

Here in Australia, Stihl don't sell the Stihl HP Ultra (which by the way is undoubtedly some other product rebranded by Stihl) but they sell what they call "Stihl 2 Stroke Lubricant" which states on the bottle it is made for them by Castrol (from memory)
This oil is tinted dark blue.
The other day, I also saw in a Stihl shop small 100mL containers of Stihl HP, tinted Red.
I wonder if that is the same stuff as you guys get in the States?
By the way, buying 2-stroke oil in 100mL containers at $7 each makes for one heck of an expensive 2-stroke oil when you can buy Mobil-1, Redline, Castrol TTS, Motul and other quality oils for around $20 - $25 per litre