Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

U.S. - 41 / ( Quardra ) Choke ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. - 41 / ( Quardra ) Choke ?

I have a brand new out of the box U.S. - 41 that I tried to start up for the first time. It's on magnito, and has a spring starter. I checked the needle factory settings first, and found that they were about 2 turns each, out from the bottom. I left them there at those factory settings. I then placed my thumb over the Carb, and rocked the Prop back and forth on compression 6 times, my thumb was only moderately wet with gas, but I decided to try it. Crank, crank, crank using the spring starter for about 5 minutes, and no start !

I decided that it might be flooded, and gave it a rest. I came back about 30 minutes later, and she started right up. I then leaned out both needles accordingly, and she now purrs like a kitten. It is obvious that I flooded it on my first attempt to start it. So, my big question is, what's the correct chokeing procedure to prevent flooding it again ?

Thanks for your help Gents.

Ed
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: U.S. - 41 / ( Quardra ) Choke ?

I don't think there's a universal answer to your question. A lot of what it's going to take will have to do with whether you've refueled since starting last. Pulling fuel through an empty line will take more than when the line's full?

With a little use you'll get a feel for what it's going to take. That's a great engine well known for it's reliability.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finger the carb and turn the prop (ign off ) till it gets wet the first sign of wetness tells you shes ready
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never seemed to have any trouble with this on the gas engines on up to 260 hp