Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

rcs 215

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM
f4udcorsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcs 215

I guys, I have an RCS 215cc radial engine. For the last three years I haven't had any problems. Then last week while flying the engine sounded like it was starving for fuel and almosta wanting to quit. The rpm kept goin low then high and so on. I landed thinking tha the fuel was low. That wasn't the case. I then checked the ignition battery with a futaba tester that puts a load on the battery. The tester read: " caution". Now my question is: would a relatively low ignition battery cause the engine to run erraticaly??? Also could any thing in the carb cause the engine to run like it wants to quit???? Please help out.
Frank.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rcs 215

Absolutely. If you don't have spark you don't have fire. If you have weak spark you have weak fire. If you have erratic spark you have erratic fire. Pick the one that fits your situation and ask yourself if you have a well charged battery or a weak one.

I suppose if you got the engine hot enough it would diesel and run without spark, but not for very long, not very well, and you're engine would hate you for it.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes a low battery will make the engine strange. I have run engines in back yard that I knew the battery was low and when they started to die out the engine would bog down.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Souds like the vinyl pulse line from the pulse generator to the carb is plugged with the cam/generator grease.. The line is held with festo fittings and should be cleaned with brake clean/choke cleaner to open it back up..

Rick