Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLA 56 carbuator ajusting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:06 AM
dc4295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLA 56 carbuator ajusting problem

is there anyone that could tell me what the needles are to be set at on the low side and hi side on my DLA 56 ?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 AM
m_saraga
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: DLA 56 carbuator ajusting problem

As a lot of people will tell you, there is no rule for that, and the factory settings would be just a startng point. Every engine needs to be adjusted according to the operating situation, propeller size, altitude, etc.; however, a good staring point would be 1 3/4 turns open on both needles, and once you have it operating, you could start adjusting. Remember to stop the engine to adjust the needles, and also, once you adjust the high needle, go back to the idle, and double check it. Once you have run the engine rich for a while, you can start leaning it to get better performance and stability, but don't lean it too much during the breakng in period, and you will get better performance and durability overall.

Kind regards.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

No, there is no "set at" setting.

Start at 1 3/4 turns out on both, then tune.

1.Start the engine, set the throttle so the engine is going 3500 rpm.

2.With the engine running I turn the "L" needle in, it is always the needle that is closest to the engine, when the engine speeds up to 4000 rpm I adjust the throttle to bring it back to 3500 rpm. You keep repeating this step until your engine doesn't speed up anymore when you turn the "L" needle in.

3.Turn the "L" needle out 3/16th of a turn.

4.Open the "H" needle 2 turns out, open the throttle all the way open. Now slowly turn the "H" needle in the engine will increase in rpms. Turn the needle about 1/16 at a time, when you get no more increase in rpm the "H" is set properly.

5.Set you idle speed with your throttle trims, it's best to take the idle stop screw completely out, you should have it so the idle is correct with the trim in the middle, and the low trim kills the engine.

6.With the engine running at the idle speed that you fly at you should now be able to snap the throttle open and the engine quickly speed up. If it just dies, turn the "L" needle out 1/16th of a turn, repeat this step until is quickly speeds up. If when you snap the throttle open it stumbles then speeds up turn the "L" needle in 1/16th of a turn until it cleanly and quickly speeds up.

7.Close the hole or notch up in the choke plate, I'll post a picture of what I mean, I do it with soldiering the hole close, some use glue or a bolt.

After you modify the choke plate the way to start the engine is:
a. Close choke completely.
b. Open throttle half way.
c. Flip engine with ignition on until the engine coughs.
d. Take choke fully off.
e. Set throttle just above idle, flip until it starts, usually 3 to 5 flips.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

We generally recomend 2 turns out on the low sprrd needle and 1 1/2 on the high needle
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the best general way to go about things, and a safe return base if you like to experiment.
Remember that the idle needle is ALWAYS providing fuel, so it influences the WOT settings.
The H-needle starts providing fuel at 25% or more throttle, so should be adjusted AFTER the L-needle has been changed.

Other methods are published, and work sort of, but they are basically wrong.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll disagree with all of you that posted a starting value. 1-1/2 turns open for both.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM
bgw45

I can accept that.