Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-85 Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:58 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-85 Upgrade?

I purchased a new DA-85 2 years ago. It has not been started yet. After looking through engine sales forums, I found out there is an upgrade due on this engine. I never knew this until now. Any info onthis would sure be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DA-85 Upgrade?

DA and other engine manufacturers are generally now using the public RC forums for an information exchange. Those following the various threads pertaining to specific subject matter keep up. Those that don't obvioulsy do not.

Call DA for the best possible souce for your desired information. They will tell you specifically what might be entailed. DA has good customer service...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
FLAPHappy

I respect your opinion. I did call DA and aked about this upgrade, which is not a minor improvement, It requires replacing the Piston and Case.
I checked their website numerous times and nothing has ever been stated about this upgrade.
Is it required to rely on a public forum for information regardingany issuewith an engine?.
What happens if a person doe's not have a computer or access to a public forum?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They generally do the upgrades after a field failure.

As long as the engine runs OK for you, they don't get involved with it.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

What happens if a person doe's not have a computer or access to a public forum?
its called a caveman
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM
wind junkie

Yes, or maybe living under a rock?

(in which case that person also wouldn't own a TV, and wouldn't ever get the Geico TV commercial reference...)

Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
FLAPHappy

Yeah, I would expect some wise ass answers. I edited this post because this is not what I ex[ected from people..
All I did is ask a simple question, no, I got 2 intelligent answers to my question, the othe remarks are not worth discussing.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just call DA to determine if a upgrade is needed as that is one of the reasons to get good service. DA usually does not publish upgrade details.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:48 PM
FLAPHappy

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned I did call DA and they told me what was involved with the upgrade. They make top notch engines and I know they have excellent customer service. The engine was shipped back to them yesterday for the upgrade which involves replacing the Piston.
The main reason for this post was to get information.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Tired Old Man

If I were to invest 3 grand in a plane it sure as hell wouldn't have a single cylinder engine and would not be under 100cc's. You seriously over spent somewhere.

The fact is, todays society is geared around instant communications. That could be done with an I-phone, I-pad, laptop, desktop, using a computer at an internet cafe, work computer, or borrowed intrernet time on a friends computer. E-mail is the communications methods of today and tomorrow and not having a computer of one's own is no excuse. There are too many ways to work around such a short coming. Yes, some of the answers were smart *****ed but in their own way were quite pertinent to the situation. One has to keep up with technology, especially information technology, if they want to stay on top of anything. DA, and other engine manufacturers have been conducting about 98% of their business via instant media and very little via other methods. It has been this way for at least 7 years now.

The is one minor problem with the complaint about not having a computer. You posted in this forum so you shot yourself in the foot with the arguement about not having computer access. I somewhat know the area around LaPine. A little remote in some areas but they do have internet.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

wind junkie i think we touched a nerve or ended up making his panties get in a wad.... its just not that serious as i see it no reason to get gray hairs early in this life time now i know why they call me KRAY Zee Cee
Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 PM
FLAPHappy

This thread is not intended to argue, I has gone out and beyond the origional context which it was intended.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 PM
FLAPHappy

I will succeed from this thread. Some people just can't read English and understand what wes written, but instead want to create some kind of arguement that has absoutly nothing to do with the origional question in the very first post..I am sorry for trying to ask a simple question.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I do believe some of you guys were a bit pompous and racing each other to be the lead jerk. In that haste you missed his point completely about the lack of communication from DA to their customers. He said he has a computer but wonders why, as a DA customer, he should be required to revolve his life around 'must have' communications technology to know there is a problem with his particular engine. Must he wait until it blows up so DA can do a $500.00 rebuild, which includes the 'free uprade parts'?

Many people have better things to do than twiddle tweets every time they pass gas. If this is DA's only method of communicating with customers then they are either stupid or more arrogant than ever. At least FLAPHappy had the presence to use good old telephone technology to put DA in the position to do the upgrade. Otherwise he, and probably others, would never know of the potential problem.

And you some of you guys want to say DA has great customer service. Give me a break.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 AM
skip1320

If any body would care to,What does DA do for the upgrade,was gonna ask myself eventually,they are poppin up cheap in classifieds,figured an ad would say just back from DA,somthing to do w/piston to wall clearance?I thought orginally,any info great.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

There is also the attribute with model engines in that they can be sold and resold multiple times. It would be almost impossible for any vendors to send the upgrade notice the the present owner. Model engines are not required to be registered.

I did know that DA's warranty covers the engine for a period of time, regardless of the owner.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Reading these forums is almost as good as reading the comics this morning
Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

If I were to invest 3 grand in a plane it sure as hell wouldn't have a single cylinder engine and would not be under 100cc's. You seriously over spent somewhere.

The fact is, todays society is geared around instant communications. That could be done with an I-phone, I-pad, laptop, desktop, using a computer at an internet cafe, work computer, or borrowed intrernet time on a friends computer. E-mail is the communications methods of today and tomorrow and not having a computer of one's own is no excuse. There are too many ways to work around such a short coming. Yes, some of the answers were smart *****ed but in their own way were quite pertinent to the situation. One has to keep up with technology, especially information technology, if they want to stay on top of anything. DA, and other engine manufacturers have been conducting about 98% of their business via instant media and very little via other methods. It has been this way for at least 7 years now.

The is one minor problem with the complaint about not having a computer. You posted in this forum so you shot yourself in the foot with the arguement about not having computer access. I somewhat know the area around LaPine. A little remote in some areas but they do have internet.
He may have something more advanced than a common ARF. I have a lot more than that in a UAV that will never be any more than a toy. Considering the times, DAs customer service is phenomenal if they even answer the phone. With that said, if the upgrade is not mentioned on their homepage then they are dodging responsibility.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Kweasel
He may have something more advanced than a common ARF. I have a lot more than that in a UAV that will never be any more than a toy. Considering the times, DAs customer service is phenomenal if they even answer the phone. With that said, if the upgrade is not mentioned on their homepage then they are dodging responsibility.
Bingo! Well said.

If you want customers to know about issues that can affect performance or safety there is no better place than the web site. If you don't want them to know, use some geeky communication form not everyone chooses to use.

That is being selective about who gets to know.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Tired Old Man

Dick,

I think you know how I feel about any product line that builds it's reputation on "great customer service". If a product was as great as it was purported to be nobody would never hear about customer service because it would have been uneccessary. When I use the term "great customer service" it's always tongue in cheek. The best customer service I've ever experienced was through not having a need of any. Those companies are gone now unfortunately.

My real lament was referencing people not being able to remain informed about manufacturer information due to lack of communication technology. Even bums living under bridges seem to have smart phones anymore.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:13 PM
gibatta

I have 2 DA 85 and live overseas; Now, is it absolutely necessary to send it back for upgrade all of them? (this is way expensive to do). Does anybody knows what is the main issues about this upgrade? Please advise. Thank you
Old 07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
My real lament was referencing people not being able to remain informed about manufacturer information due to lack of communication technology. Even bums living under bridges seem to have smart phones anymore.
The panhandlers at the local WalMart have phones so I know what you mean.

However, if DA is using only social networks (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to communicate then they are not informing many customers, past, present and future. Not everyone lives in the smart phone-tablet world so they are left out of the loop. As mentioned in another post, the information is not on DA's web site either. Oversight(?) or just keeping problems close to the vest.

If DA doesn't keep track of customers, although it is pretty simple if they are so technically savvy, they must feel after sale satisfaction is not too important. After spending a lot of cash on their expensive engines, FLAPHappy, and probably others will be unhappy to learn of any issues that only a select few know about.

DA doesn't have to explain the problem on their web page, just a notice to "DA **cc engine owners, contact us for important information about your engine." How difficult is that for such a savvy company?

Either way I think the way they handle it is incorrect business wise. It smacks of favoritism and there is an overabundance of it in this hobby.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
skip1320

All aside safety is the bottom line,All it take,s is one panicstrickned dead stick to kill someone!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Antique

Reading these forums is almost as good as reading the comics this morning
Sometimes they are better.

As for the original post I run mine as is unless I have some sort of problem. Then a quick call to DA will usually quickly remedy the situation. A person doesn't have to be online. Their telephone support works just fine.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Tired Old Man

Dick,

I don't think companies make good short term money by issuing blanket recalls. They would probably do better financially just taking care of individually issues as they are sent in post crash. It generates the appearance of great customer service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.