Location of batteries for DLE 20

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of batteries for DLE 20

I am setting up my first gasser and have questions:

Can I locate the ignition battery near the receiver [want it as far back as possible for balance ] if not how far away does it need to be?

Is there a problem placing the ignition module above the gas tank?

How do you set up the gas tank vent line?

Thanks,

Gary

Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Location of batteries for DLE 20

Batteries themselves serve as giant capacitors and absorb RF energy rather than emitting it.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Moderator, Batteries absorb RF energy? That's an interesting thought. Is there any test data available to back that up? How about the wires leading to the batteries. They should be acting as good conductors or antennas of the energy. I would advise Roo to follow good RF techniques and keep the ignition system components as far away from the RF as possible. Dan.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

Mr. Moderator, Batteries absorb RF energy? That's an interesting thought. Is there any test data available to back that up? How about the wires leading to the batteries. They should be acting as good conductors or antennas of the energy. I would advise Roo to follow good RF techniques and keep the ignition system components as far away from the RF as possible. Dan.
They certainly do not generate RF energy.

Batteries and capacitors are first cousins of each other.

It is almost as if the power wire from the battery to the ignition module is grounded at the battery as far as RF is concerned.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Roo Man

I am setting up my first gasser and have questions:

Can I locate the ignition battery near the receiver [want it as far back as possible for balance ] if not how far away does it need to be?
Keep all ign components as far away from the receiver as you possibly can.
Six/6 inches is a good rule of thumb, not always possible though.

Is there a problem placing the ignition module above the gas tank?
I'd rather mine be somewhere a bit away from the gas tank.

How do you set up the gas tank vent line?
Route your Tygon fuel line off the vent tube to the top of the tank,
then form a circle with it, then route it down to exit the fuselage.

Photos are of my H9-Twist 150 w/DLE20. Vent line goes from
left -to- right at top of tank, then down & out bottom of fuse.
Receiver is to the right, under the canopy, while the ign module is above the eng.

Being new, you'll find loads of good info here;

Newbie to Gas General Info....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm

What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 .....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10197884/tm.htm

NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post) .....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9863953/tm.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79977.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1641603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89788.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1641604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70379.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1641605  
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Tired Old Man

Batteries are big electrical chokes. I put my batteries wherever their weight, along with wire length, seres the best purpose. I still fly mostly 72 mHz.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
All Day Dan

Gary, Here's the website for the DLE 20 manual that Tower is using. The installation advice is at the end of page 3 and the beginning of page four. Please take the time to read it. Dan.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0020-manual-v1_1.pdf
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 PM
All Day Dan

Mr. Moderator, not quite at 2.4Gigahertz. At that frequency the wavelength is 4.9 inches which puts it in the realm of microwaves. Circuit theory with discreet components does not apply. That means that capacitors are not capacitors etc. but are something entirely different depending how they are made. That wire from Gary's ignition module, which I will assume is up near the engine, to the ignition battery could be several wavelengths long and that's a lot. The receiver’s antenna is only a quarter wavelength long. There is a good possibility that all the RF trash generated by the ignition module and spark may one day get propagated along that wire and that could be devastating. Those Rf absorbing batteries you use wont do him a bit of good. Hopefully Gary will follow all the advice from the radio manufacturers and the DLE manual and separate the two systems. Dan.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
w8ye

Gary, Here's the website for the DLE 20 manual that Tower is using. The installation advice is at the end of page 3 and the beginning of page four. Please take the time to read it. Dan.
I'm not so sure that Tower even condones that error filled manual for they do not include it with an engine at purchase. The only way to get one is to download the PDF version?

When you buy a DLE from Tower, the box has the DLE factory package sealing tape on it. They do not look at them.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
w8ye

Mr. Moderator, not quite at 2.4Gigahertz. At that frequency the wavelength is 4.9 inches which puts it in the realm of microwaves. Circuit theory with discreet components does not apply. That means that capacitors are not capacitors etc. but are something entirely different depending how they are made. That wire from Gary's ignition module, which I will assume is up near the engine, to the ignition battery could be several wavelengths long and that's a lot. The receiver’s antenna is only a quarter wavelength long. There is a good possibility that all the RF trash generated by the ignition module and spark may one day get propagated along that wire and that could be devastating. Those Rf absorbing batteries you use wont do him a bit of good. Hopefully Gary will follow all the advice from the radio manufacturers and the DLE manual and separate the two systems. Dan.
Don't forget that the battery end of the positive and negative wires of the power lead is held at zero RF potential by the battery itself. The only problem is that JR batteries have a third wire floating on that lead that is not connected to anything at either end and is a potential antenna as you mention. However at the 2.4g frequency, this loose wire's proximity against the other wires would create some capacitance that would suppress a lot of the RF that tries to travel on it?

People do all kinds of unacceptable things with their ignition engines like mounting the throttle servo an inch away from the carb with the ignition unit not far away and get away with it - even on 72 mhz FM. I think one of the greatest effects of stray noise getting in our systems comes from it getting into the servo signal lines.

Jim
Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Tired Old Man

An inch away from the carb? How about an integral part of the carb body? It doesn't get any closer than that. I can assure you, and our overly cautious friend, no problems. It's long past time to move into at least the late 20th century. Information contained in any of the Chinese manuals is at best dubious, and always incomplete. I left out incompetant to be polite. The Futaba manuals are also still written with magneto driven engines in mind. For most retail companies, their tech pubs are quite low on the budgetary ladder, if there's any budget for updates at all.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Roo Man

Thanks,
this is much better than the DLE company manual. I do plan on separating the systems as much as possible just to gbe on the safe side.

Gary
Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
w8ye

When you read that manual, keep in mind that the timing on a DLE is around 32 degrees and not what it says in that manual.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Roo Man

ORIGINAL: w8ye

When you read that manual, keep in mind that the timing on a DLE is around 32 degrees and not what it says in that manual.
What is the factory setting?

gary
Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 AM
w8ye

I think the actual factory setting is 32 degrees for the DLE 20? I wouldn't go any higher than that!.

Typically the sensor is centered on the crankcase seam.

Otherwise, you will have to set up a degree wheel, find top dead center, and see where it sparks at?

You can print out the dgree wheel and past it to some poster board or thin plywood. Use a straightened paper clip as a pointer?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18714.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	1641887  
Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 AM
All Day Dan

Gary, this video will help. Dan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY
Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 AM
w8ye

When watching Milton's excellent video, you will notice that he sets the spark timing at 28 degrees.

Most engines are set a 28 degrees with a regular CH or RCEXL ignition module.

If you are using a regular RCEXL ignition module on your DLE 20, you will want to set the timing at 28 degrees BTC.

But with the model #4 DLE ignition, the timing is set at 32 degrees.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Tired Old Man

One of these days they'll figure it out Both 38 and 32 degrees are wrong for a high revving gas engine.