Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLA 32cc_ hard to hand crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Wully
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLA 32cc_ hard to hand crank

Can someone suggest a fix to help me crank this engine w/o flipping it 30 times. I choke it and even open the throttle wide open to get fuel to it and it still takes 28-30 flips before it will burp. HELP.....Frank
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: DLA 32cc_ hard to hand crank

Get Pennzoil, run it at 32:1 all the time.

Do check the timing, here's my way:

Use a timing wheel if you have one or:

The easy no math timing.

Cut a strip of paper 1/4" x 5".

Rap the paper around the prop drive, back by the crankcase where the magnet is. Overlap the paper then cut with a #11 blade cut though both layers of the paper.

Now you have a piece of paper the exact circumference of the prop drive.

Cut it in half, take one of the halves and cut that in half again, take that and cut it in half also. Now cut it so it's in 1/3 and 2/3 pieces.

The 2/3 piece is how much before TDC the engine should fire, (30*).

Now find TDC by removing the spark plug, then sticking something in the hole, a pencil works fine. Move the crankshaft until the piston. is at the top of the cylinder, you'll find that about 5* either side of the TDC it doesn't feel like the piston is moving. Wiggle the crank back and forth until you can find the center of this piston not moving zone, that's TDC.

Now with a marker make a line across the edge of the prop drive onto the crankcase, it doesn't matter where, just that it's easy to see.

Now turn the prop drive clockwise a distance equal to the 2/3 piece of paper.

Plug the ignition into a 4.8v battery, and turn it on.

Now with the two screws loosened move the sensor off the magnet until you hear the ignition pop.

Tighten the screws for the sensor down, then confirm that the timing is still set that 2/3 piece of paper before the TDC mark.

You may have to lengthen one of the grooves in the sensor mount to get the timing correct.

1.Start the engine, set the throttle so the engine is going 3500 rpm.

2.With the engine running I turn the "L" needle in, it is always the needle that is closest to the engine, when the engine speeds up to 4000 rpm I adjust the throttle to bring it back to 3500 rpm. You keep repeating this step until your engine doesn't speed up anymore when you turn the "L" needle in.

3.Turn the "L" needle out 3/16th of a turn.

4.Open the "H" needle 2 turns out, open the throttle all the way open. Now slowly turn the "H" needle in the engine will increase in rpms. Turn the needle about 1/16 at a time, when you get no more increase in rpm the "H" is set properly.

5.Set you idle speed with your throttle trims, it's best to take the idle stop screw completely out, you should have it so the idle is correct with the trim in the middle, and the low trim kills the engine.

6.With the engine running at the idle speed that you fly at you should now be able to snap the throttle open and the engine quickly speed up. If it just dies, turn the "L" needle out 1/16th of a turn, repeat this step until is quickly speeds up. If when you snap the throttle open it stumbles then speeds up turn the "L" needle in 1/16th of a turn until it cleanly and quickly speeds up.

7.Close the hole or notch up in the choke plate, I'll post a picture of what I mean, I do it with soldiering the hole close, some use glue or a bolt.

After you modify the choke plate the way to start the engine is:
a. Close choke completely.
b. Open throttle half way.
c. Flip engine with ignition on until the engine coughs.
d. Take choke fully off.
e. Set throttle just above idle, flip until it starts, usually 3 to 5 flips.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54176.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1689682  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low end lean?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Wully
My Feedback: (26)

I'm 1 3/4 on low needle and 2 turns on the high side just like the factory stated. Runs and transitions great once I get it cranked that first time.
Frank
Old 11-23-2011, 05:24 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Does it have a choke? Did you soldier the hole closed in the choke plate?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy TOM...

There are no such things as "factory settings" for an engine to be run and used. Those are just a guideline to (hopefully) get the engine started. You MUST fine tune the engine from there. The "factory settings" have virtually nothing to do with the engine actually being in tune with your barometric pressure, temperature, altitude, fuel, oil, propellor, etc. You HAVE to tune the engine once you get it started with those so called "factory settings."

AV8TOR
Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
benjret

i Have a problem with brand new dla 32 im not expert for any engine so i need help here.

Engine don't wont to start with factory setting 1 3/4 on "H" and 1 1/2 on "L". so i check everyting for Plug, membrant, reed Valve, timing etc! and looks good to me!
Now 2 turns on the "H" and 2 3/4 on "L" and engine can start! than breakin with this setting for 3 hours burning 2.5 liters of Gas with 30:1 Motul 510.
then i start to adjust the needle! is hard to find the right mixture. leaned "L" but im not able to snap the throttle instantly to WOT causing engine dies and feels like Lean on "L" needle. but so far i already Open the "L" needle to 2 3/4. opened the "L" needle to 3 1/4 not changing anyting! but strange happend. i nailled the throttle on 1/4 and the engine is so hard to gaint the rpm and litle by litle move the throtle to 1/2 and nailed there for 30-45 seconds! then suddenly engine goes to normal rev. and i able to play the throttle stick until the peak rpm! but when i cut to idle it begin to hard again! im so frustration with this condition. when engine run on idle is good! so i think maybe the problem is thecarburettor. and Yesterday i buy a brand new Carburettor. i replace the old carburettor with the new one. guess what? i still have the same problem!

can somebody HELP ME to solve this Problems??? i have several DLE engines. but they are run perfectly!

Thank You...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then your problem is not the carburetor itself.

What is between the carburetor and the rest of the engine?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM
benjret

ORIGINAL: w8ye

What is between the carburetor and the rest of the engine?
i don't understand what you mean? sorry im not good on english!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
w8ye

Look for air leaks between the carb and engine or around the crankcase?

Look at the reeds to see if they are seating completely. You will need a light on the other side of the reed block to check the reeds?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM
benjret

w8ye,

looks like reed Valve is the problem. reed valve not sitting properly to cage.
i just ordered the new reed valve from my lhs..
thank you for your help GBU!

[/b]
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
w8ye

Glad you found your problem