Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to get a gasser airplane, I have questions!

Plane looks great.

Well I guess the giant stick, and DLE30 is the way to go.

I will say I am nervous due to the fact there is no one around here that flys and could double check my setup, and make sure it is ready and safe to go, so everything works out good. Wish some of you guess were closer.

Should In use flaps or forget them? are they needed? I have never used them before.

Any standard type servos?

Tail dragger or bicycle setup?

I will not be purchasing anything until after the new years, but Will try to get a list of everything needed and best place to get it all. No hobby shops around here, closest one is 3.5 hours away.

I will be reading and trying to learn as much as I can for the build. (would rather buy one ready to go minus Rx though.... due to the fact of being nervous LOL

Thanks
More questions to come.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

While the Giant is a terrific plane, it is BIG. Tower charges an extra $80 to ship it - but you can go here and save that: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

The Giant will be easier to fly. The 60 size with a DLE 20 would be a bit overpowered, but with proper throttle management it would be fine. The 30 mounts on standoffs, the 20 uses a conventional mount.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use flaps to start with. They are completely unnecessary. (though fun to play with) I put flaps on mine, but wanted more aileron power so I did away with them and used full span ailerons. Then I added "flaperon" function with my radio, and that suits me just fine. (Even though I rarely use them...)

AV8TOR
Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM
gagallagher04401

Thanks av8tor1977

Well that should simplify everything a little more.

I found this engine also same as the DLE30, Whats everyone think? Good? bad?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15382

Thanks
George
Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you should get a real DLE30
Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 PM
gagallagher04401

LOL ok, just trying to save a few bucks is all.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
RealFly

If you have the bucks my recommendations would be an Extra 300 with a DLE-30.  Aeroworks puts together a good package, with instructions geared towards those who may be putting together their first plane.  The cost will be around $1,000, but it will be tons of fun and it will grow with you.

Guys, a year before transitioning to a gasser?  Come on, I started about two years ago and I have four gas planes, the largest of which is an Extreme Flight with a DA-120.  Just read up and make sure you learn to take off and land it well.  Both skills are not an easy transition from a foamie or a smaller nitro plane so that is why folks are steering you towards smaller sport planes first.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:07 PM
gagallagher04401

Hey guys just found this, on the classifieds

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=804887

Damn, I just can't afford to pull the trigger right now until after the Holidays!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The CRRC 40 has been problem prone for many people. Ignition, bearings, rod, etc. I would not recommend it for a new guy. The engine will be under the bench in a box first thing you know.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only that, if you notice it is for "Local Pickup Only". Most private sellers won't hassle with trying to box up a ready to fly airplane to ship it, and even if they would the shipping would be really high. Makes it tough to buy and sell airplanes, but it's a fact of life...

AV8TOR
Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
gagallagher04401

Missed the local pickup part.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RealFly

If you have the bucks my recommendations would be an Extra 300 with a DLE-30. Aeroworks puts together a good package, with instructions geared towards those who may be putting together their first plane. The cost will be around $1,000, but it will be tons of fun and it will grow with you.

Guys, a year before transitioning to a gasser? Come on, I started about two years ago and I have four gas planes, the largest of which is an Extreme Flight with a DA-120. Just read up and make sure you learn to take off andlandit well. Both skills are not an easy transition from a foamie or a smaller nitro plane so that is why folks are steering you towards smaller sport planes first.

I started April 2010 and I have 3 gas planes in the 30cc range. They are all much easier to fly and land than any of the foamies I own or the .40 size glow planes.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 AM
RealFly

That may very well be, however a large gas plane (which this gent may grow to) doesn't land like a foamie.  I don't have any 30cc planes so I can't dispute your claim.  As a matter of fact, if you don't manage the descent with the throttle (look it up if you disagree) you will smack a 25 pound or more plane down on gear.  Also, note that the torque of a larger gas engine is much greater than the motor typically in a foamie or a small nitro so you will have to be ready on right rudder...

So in a nutshell it appears the 30cc is the way to go.  TimBle says its easier than his foamies, not my experience with larger gassers, but apparently the 30cc size is the sweet spot.

TimBle what foamies do you own that are more difficult than a 30cc plane to land?  Typically foamies weigh nothing and float forever....One exception I will note that I have is my Carbon Z Yak, which lands more like a bigger plane.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 AM
flyalot
My Feedback: (63)

DLE 20 ( check jedi jodys blog, long but great info )
Hangar 9 Pulse 125 ( check blog in ARF section ) Great flying airplane. Some modification necessary.
Rember most ARF's in the 1.20 size range were designed for glow engines and are built accordingly.
Gasoline engines vibrate more and are heaver. Use metal gear servoes .
Joe
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
gagallagher04401

Thanks everyone for all of the info.

I plan on goign with a giant big stik, with the DLE30cc engine. Will be my winter project. Like I mentioned before I am nervous about it, due to the money involved, and not wanting to destroy everything. I wish there was someone around to give me a hand, and be my build buddy with experience but that is not going to happen, because there is no one around. I may try to post on craigslist or something in the area to see if I can find a build buddy/helping hand, good way to make a flying pal as well.

Are standard metal gear servo's fine? I was thinking about these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-x-MG99...item19c03e86e7
I use them alot, 200ozs of troque, and pretty quick. metal gear. I use it as my throttle servo on my 1/4 scale gasser baja buggy, and used them on other RC's, but none of them have been in the air.

Also what is a good Spektrum Rx to use in a plane like this? I will be using my Dx7. My other planes I use AR600's.

Thanks
George
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 AM
tail heavy

Good morning George.

I have tried a couple different Chinese digital servos, and I always come back to either Hitec HS-645mg's or Futaba S3305 mg servos.

I always seemed to have servo jittering with the others. Not every one, but most.

I fly Futaba radios, so I don't have any advise for you re: a Spektrum reciever.

Good luck with your project. You will like the Giant Stick.

Alan
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 AM
tail heavy

George, I went to the AMA club finder and there is a club about 48 miles away from you.
The info is below. Hope this will get you some build buddies.

Alan

PENOBSCOT FUN FLYERS

Flying Site Details
48.20 miles

JOHN BELDING
3330 BENNOCH RD
ALTON ME 04468
email: [email protected].

Phone: 207-394-3065
Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 AM
GerKonig

The Giant Stick is a lot of fun with a gasser. Now, for REAL fun, not a gasser:-) I bought the model used (had a Z26 on it) and I converted it to electric. A $47 1.6 motor from HobbyPatz, $90 controller from HC, and Zippy batteries. (2x4x5,000 or 1x4x5000 + 1x6x5000).

The model is a dream to fly on 8 cells, but with 10, it is explosive. You run for 10 feet, and go vertical, rolling while you accelerate on your way up. You can slow this model down to a crawl. I still did not use the flaps (too windy).

It can fly slow like a trainer, really good behaved... It is a blast. I use a19X10 prop because of the clearance. Weight 13 3/4 to 14 1/4 (depending on the cells). No idea how long it will fly on the 10 cells, I landed in all cases after 10 minutes. I love the giant stick! You will not regret getting the Giant Stick.

Regular servos in the wings (4), 2 Hitec 645 on the tail surfaces... The previous owner flew the model with all regular servos for almost 2 years. Never had a problem.

And remember, bigger planes are easier to see, and fly better. If electric, even better:-)

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44352.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1696591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27175.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1696592  
Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM
gagallagher04401

I will contact the group near me see if I can get some help.

Damn is that the size of the giant stik? HUGE. Is it easy to take the wings off? I will need to fit it in a SUV, and or hatchback. LOL
Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

I will contact the group near me see if I can get some help.

Damn is that the size of the giant stik? HUGE. Is it easy to take the wings off? I will need to fit it in a SUV, and or hatchback. LOL
Actually I store them and go to the field with them in one piece, but they come apart in 2 sections. In 2 pierces, the wings are no problem to move around. I have a Mercury Mountaineer. The wing goes (in one piece) on one side (held by the rear seat belt on one side) and the fuse fits perfectly with the rear seats down.
Also, I have the taildragger version. I like it better, and it is also lighter this way.

Gerry
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
gagallagher04401

Contacted the group here, now waiting for a response.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: RealFly

That may very well be, however a large gas plane (which this gent may grow to) doesn't land like a foamie. I don't have any 30cc planes so I can't dispute your claim. As a matter of fact, if you don't manage the descent with the throttle (look it up if you disagree) you will smack a 25 pound or more plane down on gear. Also, note that the torque of a larger gas engine is much greater than the motor typically in a foamie or a small nitro so you will have to be ready on right rudder...

So in a nutshell it appears the 30cc is the way to go. TimBle says its easier than his foamies, not my experience with larger gassers, but apparently the 30cc size is the sweet spot.

TimBle what foamies do you own that are more difficult than a 30cc plane to land? Typically foamies weigh nothing and float forever....One exception I will note that I have is my Carbon Z Yak, which lands more like a bigger plane.

Great Planes Seawind EP - to land that on water you need to keep the power up till its on the plane on the pond then cut it gently. Wants to float in ground effect and where i live there is nver a day without wind.

E-Flite p-38 Lightning: Again light and rides turbulence, tough to set it down on three wheels on grass without it flipping over. Needs lots of rudder control to prevent it drifting off line

SAPACWilga 2000: Same as above, needs rudder to land gently without the wire landing gear sagging to the point of the prop smacking the ground and breaking the motor mount.

Parkzone Extra 300 (with inverted wings):terrible POS to fly and land. Ifly my .60size Edge to relax after flying that little devil

Have a WIngsmaker Sunrise on the water... Have flown one, very simple to land and fly. Fly's like a bigger plane.

I can compare my .50 size Home Run to my 1.20 size TWm Spot on. The latter is much simpler to handle in wind of anysort and far less sensitive in the landing pattern simply due to being bigger and easier to handle.

Have flown a 100c Extra 260 (Pilot Rc). Flies like a bus. Big lumbering thing that floats in too land like a feather. Have to keep the power on or it will fall out of the sky because it stalls so gracefully. No snapping.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
gagallagher04401

Parkzone Extra 300 (with inverted wings): terrible POS to fly and land. I fly my .60size Edge to relax after flying that little devil
LOL You are right. I also have this plane, (wings left original) I ike flying it, fast and agile, but easier to land coming in hot. I am on the edge of my seat when flyting it though.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:21 PM
sprgfvr02
My Feedback: (1)

George,
I may be a bit late in this post, but after reading through it there is a plane and engine not mentioned that you may want to look into. It is the Mentor-G, and it is from Maxford-USA. Check out the review of it at this address...
I have one on order, and it is sitting in the LA Harbor waiting for customs clearance. About 2/3 of the way down the review you will find two videos.
Have fun.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM
gagallagher04401

Thanks I will check it out.

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.