Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

I have had zero EMI/RFI related issues.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Kweasel

Throw in one RFI related crash and they are really underwater compared to glow.
That's old news, no longer relavent in today's RC hobby (better ignitions, better radios, etc).

If the current small gassers weren't an issue to contend with as some try to make them out to be, why then are glow mfg's like Saito & O.S. coming out with their own small gassers? It's because such small gassers are a real sales challenge to the glow mfg's, so they jumped in the foray. Goes right along with CaptJohn's assertion of tons of glows practically being given away at swap meets this year.

If not for brushless motors and LiPo/Li-Ion/A123/LiFe batteries, electric flight wouldn't have seen the resurgence it's had in the past 2 years.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throw in one RFI related crash and they are really underwater compared to glow.
If I had RFI related crashes, that would have a VERY slim chance of making sense.
Nahhhh, not even then.

ORIGINAL: ghoffman
I have had zero EMI/RFI related issues.
I second that and I use the dreaded one battery for ignition and receiver/servos!! Oh the horror!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas vs glow is mainly about economics and convenience. Twenty years ago most modelers were stuck with small glow airplanes because the bigger stuff was just too expensive. Now 20-30cc planes and engines are just as available and affordable as a .61 glow powered model was then. Plus there is the bandwagon effect, I have watched people spend more converting to gas than they ever would have spent on glow fuel. Throw in one RFI related crash and they are really underwater compared to glow.
"Throw in a RFI crash?" You need to update yourself a bit on this issue:-)

Gerry
Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

dbaque,

Dude, Thanks for your comments. Yes, I'd fly whatever makes me happy. I love glow fuel powered plane, I'm the one who says about this hobby that needs 3Ps. Patience, persistence, and perseverance. Human beings wanna see some changes, monotony gets boring after some time, so I'm here to get inputs, experience and some guidance. I ain't here for the people to tell me what should I fly and what should I choose.

I always wanted to fly bigger size planes, and use 4 stroke glow, but somehow I got an opportunity to buy me big plane along with DLE 20 gasser so, it's a total new transition for me, so why not give it a try? Anyway, I appreciate your comments, and dude, im gonna do what makes me happy and of course my pocket too

I'm outta USA at the moment, and won't be able to post much and I'm gonna keep y'all updated with my Gas Experience.

Mody
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

Glow engines are much better than gas.....for practicing dead stick landings.
Just how did you come to that conclusion???
Most gas engines are in larger airframes that in itself fly easier than the smaller glow planes do. The larger planes have a ton of lift which makes them gluide easy, I can't say the same for some smaller glow powered planes.
Because glow engines go dead stick at the wrong time.
Gas engines never quit running.
Catch my drift?
Duh OK I know exactly what your talking about *S*
To be right honest I have had only one gas engine quit in flight while doing a blender, my fault for not keeping the throttle up a little while doing it.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

ONE MORE THING DAVE,

IF MY QUESTION FEELS LIKE SILLY TO YOU, SO DON'T REPLY TO THOSE QUESTIONS. I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I don't like people commenting on my threat silly, smart, or stupid, cos, you ain't are the one to judge me. So in future don't use that kinda words here. I WILL DO WHAT I WILL LOVE TO DO, SO AIN'T HERE TO GET COMMENTS LIKE THAT,THANKS
Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
speedracerwon

Hello to all, a very Happy New Year.

I have not read all the posts here, however I would to share my hew found Gasser habit.

After teaching my self how to fly (electrics only) I swore I would never fly a fuel plane. 5plus years later I felt the hobby was charging batteries not the buiding and flying itself.
A Top Gun pilot friend of mine talked me ito a 50cc plane. We picked a Peaks Model Ultimate with a DLE55. He built and maidened the plane for me. After finally losing the fear of flying a larger and fuel powered plane I must say that I am hooked on Gasoline power.

While part of the reason to not flying fuel before was the ease of electric, the mess and the smell of fuel was the main.

After 10 gasoline flights a member of my club told me about using 100LL Avgas. I recently bought a 2011 Explorer with leather interior. Since I have switched to Avgas I no longer have the fear of gasoline ruining my "new car smell". While those will argue the use of avgas I find that the lack of a lingering fuel oder is plenty enough reason for me to pay the extra dollar and take the trip to the airport to purchase it.

For those that may clain the is no benefit of using Avgas I will say that I notice no lack of performance in ayway shape or form. It works for me. ...

Vinny
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

''Throw in a RFI crash?'' You need to update yourself a bit on this issue:-)

Gerry
There were recent problems with RFI on Hitec A9 with the optical kill switch, not sure if it has been resolved or not. I'll be using Hitec Rx, so will have to dig a bit on that before flying with a gasser.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: speedracerwon

While part of the reason to not flying fuel before was the ease of electric, the mess and the smell of fuel was the main.

After 10 gasoline flights a member of my club told me about using 100LL Avgas. I recently bought a 2011 Explorer with leather interior. Since I have switched to Avgas I no longer have the fear of gasoline ruining my ''new car smell''. While those will argue the use of avgas I find that the lack of a lingering fuel oder is plenty enough reason for me to pay the extra dollar and take the trip to the airport to purchase it.

For those that may clain the is no benefit of using Avgas I will say that I notice no lack of performance in ayway shape or form. It works for me. ...

Vinny
Avgas also doesn't go stale during long storage because it's highly refined. Good for winter storage for lawn and garden equipment and motorcycles. 100LL does contain significant lead, which can be a problem if you have an oxygen sensor or catalytic converter - obviously not on your model plane.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I think the argument concerning whether methanol or gasoline produces the most power should be explained in a different manner. The question should be which fuel source produces the most BTU's per fluid ounce, how efficiently the engine converts those BTU's to power, and rate of fuel consumption determining output in a HP rating.

87 octane gasoline produces 114,000 BTU's per gallon

Methanol produces 56,800 BTU's per gallon

Factual data on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Now here is another factor involved with computing power. What is the rate of fuel consumption of the IC engine?

Example:
Nelson Q40 ( .40 cu/in ) consuming 2 ounces of methanol/minute = 887.5 BTU's
DA-50 ( 3.0 cu/in ) consuming 1 ounce of gasoline/minute = 890.6 BTU's

BOTH ARE VIRTUALLY THE SAME IN POWER ! Displacement has no bearing in the equation. Displacement is used when factoring torque. The gas engine running on 87 octane and the glow engine running on straight methanol. NO nitro. Add nitro and the numbers for glow goes up in BTU's. Nitro is simply and oxidizing agent that increases power by allowing the methanol to burn more efficiently. Same goes for octane ratings for gasoline.

We all know that fuel is power. The more fuel burned the greater air/oxygen required. The fuel/air ratio is very important. Engine porting and timing come into play when force feeding a racing engine comparred to a sport engine.

This is why you can have a Nelson Q40 consuming 2 ounces of methanol/minute at 25,000 rpm producing 3 HP comparred to a 30cc gasoline sipping engine producing 3 HP at 8,000 rpm. Both putting out 3 HP but both engines supplying different types of power. You could not substitute or swap these engines and expect them to fly different airframes in the same manner.

This argument of which is more addicting, which is better or worse, which is more powerful, is a agument in futility. There are too many varriables. For the guy that just goes out and flips the prop and takes to the air and proclaims his 50cc gasser turning a 22" diameter prop on a 18 pound plane is bigger,better, more powerful than something else, is a proclaimation in lack of knowledge.

Let me know if you think I have my head UMA but I think I have my facts correct.

SPEEDY
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Guerra
My Feedback: (48)

I like glow because I can use bacon to patch up the covering
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

ORIGINAL: Guerra

I like glow because I can use bacon to patch up the covering
I love a man with a good sense of humor!

LMAO!! Now that there's funny!

SPEEDY
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

there is a reason top fuel dragsters dont burn gas, but do burn nitro. power, plain and simple.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
ES CONTROL

I think everyone needs 3 + cil. engines. that is so cool!  who cares what it is running on!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

I think the argument concerning whether methanol or gasoline produces the most power should be explained in a different manner. The question should be which fuel source produces the most BTU's per fluid ounce, how efficiently the engine converts those BTU's to power, and rate of fuel consumption determining output in a HP rating.
I think it should be explained as to which brings ehe most enjoyment to the user.

jess
Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I was merely explaining power comparrison between gasoline and glow fuel. I am not trying to make up anyone's mind for them. Heck...I like 14 strands of 1/4" TAN II rubber looped into a single 42" long rubber motor for OT stick rubber freeflight too. Even though I fly glow for sport and pylon racing, gas for giant scale, I still fly rubber jobs large and small. Mostly F1B Wakefield and Mulvihill. Any of you guys know what I am talking about?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
CellTech

Gasoline stinks. Gasoline is dangerous and a storage hazard. Less power to weight then glow. There is a reason why the hobby converted from gas to glow. I have to desire to go backwards. You can have your gasoline smelling engines.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If one is a careless slob you may have stink with gas. If you think things out all gas smell can be avoided easy. Also you can use coleman fuel or AV Gas. AV gas has no real offensive smell. But like I say...if your a slob your theproblem. Capt,n
Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I am very careful when handling gasoline. I always show up at the field in my surgical scrubs, nitrile gloves, facial mask, protective eye shield, and I also always wear a rubber just in case something unexpected comes up. I am considering the purchase of a self contained full body hazmat suit for next summer. I have a phobia of smelling gas and am afraid I may die if I do. I have run my truck out of gas hundreds of times because I did not have the proper protection to go to the gas station to fill up. The flip side to the full body self-contained hazmat suit is if you suddenly get the urge and fart inside it. Then you go blind and crash your plane.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM
ghoffman

I got busted by the EPA and OSHA for adding gas to my DA-120 powered AJSlick and my leaf blower, because I did not have my Mil-Spec MOPP4 suit on.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:31 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

If one is a careless slob you may have stink with gas. If you think things out all gas smell can be avoided easy. Also you can use coleman fuel or AV Gas. AV gas has no real offensive smell. But like I say...if your a slob your the problem. Capt,n[img][/img]
+1
Very well said!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think someone should go thru this thread and tally up as to who's winning this pissing contest.

Oh that's right, no one is.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Who has tried Avgas? Is it safe, no problems with any gaskets? I'd be happy to pay a little more to get rid of the gas smell
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM
ghoffman

Tell you what, show me a glow motor that will outperform my DA-120 and I will buy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.