Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition Ground Wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ignition Ground Wire

I just ran across something last night that sort of tossed me off balance a little. I was setting the timing on a couple of engines, RCS and Brison. The ground wire slipped off yet I was still getting spark. I never tried to time an engine without the ground connected before and always thought the ground wire had to be connected or the plug wouldn't fire?? I went ahead and pulled the ground wire off the other engine and rolled it over, the spark was just fine on that one too. Is this normal?? I have been doing this for years but it's the first time I have ever noticed this.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Ground Wire

If the ignition has shielded leads the ground is in the braid....If not the spark is going through the sensor and it will soon be gone...
Had an old C&H years ago that someone grounded the ignition through the carb mounting bolts into the bakelite carb insulator block...The C&H is good enough to make a carbon track through the bakelite to ground, and the engine still ran...
another with a broken ground wire was a Q52...You could see the spark at the gap between the sensor and the hub with the engine running...They don't make hall sensors like they used to, or ignitions either....
Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

What he said. Fix correctly or else!!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Gray Beard

I was just going through the Brison after a crash. I had to install a new bracket holding the sensor and re-timed the engine. The ground strap I was just holding onto the engine with a clip when it fell off. That's when I noticed it was off and I was still getting spark. Connected it up again and I noticed there was a very small crack/tear in the plug caps rubber boot and there was a big spark flowing from the boot to the ground wire.
Any thoughts on why the plane lost complete control and crashed?? Started to run really rough too?? With a spark arcing that big I would say the CH is putting out some good juice!!
That did make me wonder though so I tried the RCS without a ground and was getting good spark from it too.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Saito FG20 (gas 125) with CH style RCEXL ignition. The plug connector was not connected completely and started to come off while the engine was running on the stand. The engine sounded different and I saw what was happening and reached for the "OFF" switch but I was too late. It took out the sensor.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

An exposed spark is a noisy spark and will jam a rx. Even a 2.4 rx
Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Gray Beard

As soon as I can locate someplace to send in my ignition for service it will be sent off for a check up and new plug and ground wire. That was 6 months of work planted on the desert floor. I'm waiting to hear what others think of the new owner of CH. Them be some tall shoes to try to fill.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Bill himself says he's OK...Good enough for me
Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope he learns to speak our language good too

Karol
Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 AM
w8ye

I have exchanged several Emails with Adrian and he is very easy and pleasant to communicate with via email.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have exchanged several Emails with Adrian and he is very easy and pleasant to communicate with via email.
It's speaking to him on the phone that is a task. With my poor hearing and his accent I couldn't understand everything he was saying. I'm sure my wife would love to speak with him on the phone though. He sounds like a romance novel cover come to life. Nice guy but I'm waiting for him to get the shop going 100%. Well, maybe just until after the holidays so my small part isn't lost in the Xmas mail. I was also going to check about using the ignition from the DLE 55 on my engine. That may be better then having this one repaired?? Just a thought at this time.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Gray Beard

He is a very pleasant person on the phone too. The task is understanding everything he is saying through his accent. My wife would love it, sounds like a romance novel come to life. After the holidays I will send my ignition off to him, don't want it lost in the holiday rush.
I have also been giving thought to using a new ignition from the DLE 55 on my engine. It may be better or cheaper then having the CH repaired? Just a thought. Not sure how well that would work?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
w8ye

The RCEXL ignition from a DLE will work fine as long as you have the correct spark plug connector
Old 12-24-2011, 12:16 AM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian Ciulei,Speaks,reads and writes perfect English,
Somtimes I have to slow him down when he gets excited talking about ignitions but it is my hearing loss that is the problem not his.Plus he speaks other lang.
He will not be able to do all of the junk engines that you and I and TKG has done for years and lost money on.
Just hope the guys will give him time to get ramped up He has a good full time job.Loves engines and RC.
BC-Used to be BCCHI.
You'll never no how little I care.