XYZ ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XYZ ignition

ORIGINAL: Antique

Yup, I made all mine that way. When I could get the syncro from Ed I changed..Saves a little weight without the ball bearing for the sensor ring..With the rear carb engines it's easier without the linkage....
Mechnical advance is linear from idle to WOT, instead of full at 4000. Some l ike it better...
I like it better. At least I know its not going to bite me when I start it.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

FWIW...The ExCell case is plastic too,just chrome plated.
And so are 3W and DA...
Reichmuth ignitions were shrink wrapped.
Pro Spark were shrink wrapped.
Silent Spark were metal.
C&H were aluminum.
Mine were plastic or inside the mount, guess that made them in a metal box
Falkon are in a metal box...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Antique

FWIW...The ExCell case is plastic too,just chrome plated.
And so are 3W and DA...
Reichmuth ignitions were shrink wrapped.
Pro Spark were shrink wrapped.
Silent Spark were metal.
C&H were aluminum.
Mine were plastic or inside the mount, guess that made them in a metal box
Falkon are in a metal box...
That's interesting information. I would think you would want a metal case especially if it is to be used on 72mhz.
I read somewhere that ignition noise does not affect systems that operate above 300mhz. I can't confirm that though. I do know my XYZ system will not bother my 2.4 ghz systems. I thoroughly tested that before I flew it.
BTW I have an old Reichmuth ignition. I never got around to using it though. I will have to dig it out and see if it works.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Antique

There were different versions...The first had 2 sensors that had no curve, just a step somewhere around 2000 rpm..
Later had 1sensor with his version of advance....He made his own coils, separate from the circuit..
D&B engines bought the rights and still use the ignitions, and use their version in the mount...Don't know if they ever went to shielded caps and wires....
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Ralph

I bought one of Kenny's early D&B twins with the Reichmuth ignition (early 90's). Version 1.0 did not have the shielded caps and it glitched like crazy. Stuck a PCM receiver in the plane and it masked the glitches (but they were still there). Finally put shielded caps on and that cured the problem. Don't know if they ever went SOP with this mod. Sorry I ever sold that engine.

Al
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Antique

Great engines,,,Miles Reed was/is the test pilot.....
Dan always claimed his ignition did not glitch
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone in the business from Taiwan wanted me to do some testing on a "new" XYZ ignition a couple of years ago and sent me pictures of it. It was an exact copy of the Rcexl ignition. The circuit board looked to be sourced from the same place as the Rcexl boards, just minus the Rcexl logo. They were identical. Some of the components on the board where of a different source and specification if I recall. The pictures sent to me where before and after potting with epoxy. I never did do a test on them.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
dirtybird

The units I have are very similar to the RCxel but not identical. I bought them several years ago so what you have may be a redesign.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Antique

Xu Liang has changed the case a few times, the last was to put the extra tach wire in the end...
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

I see people suggesting to use Southeast RC Engines.

As an FYI they liquidated stock and closed last year some time.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I have a generic gasser tuning question about my XYZ 50.

My XYZ 50 wasn't running great - wasn't getting high RPM's (was hitting maybe 5500 or so, instead of 7000 (that it should hit with a Xoar 20x10 prop), so I did some work on it tonight. Put on a new muffler (the old one had holes from crashes), checked inside the carb diaphragm and looked for dirt, and changed the manifold, between the carb and the engine. (the old manifold was pretty beat-up, also from crashes).

So now the engine sounds better and runs smoother at idle and through mid-throttle But when I get close to opening it (3/4 throttle) the engine bogs down so much it almost cuts out. I opened the High speed needle, but it didn't seem to help much. I opened the HS probably 1 - 1.5 turns more than the 2.25 it's supposed to start at. Any suggestions? The carb looks clean - no blockages or dirt inside that I can see. And the diaphram looks healthy. Should I open the Low speed more?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: microdon2

................ But when I get close to opening it (3/4 throttle) the engine bogs down so much it almost cuts out.........
Any suggestions? ................
Sounds a lot like your ignition battery isn't good enough to do it's job. Try a new one?
Btw....have fewer crashes!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

(I know this is not about a DLE 20, but I think these issues apply to all gassers, so... )

So I've got the XYZ 50 running nicely now. Steady idle and very good high end (will tac it tomorrow). Was a combination of opening the low speed needle and also adding liquid gasket to the surfaces and gaskets around the carb manifold. Seems like there might have been a slight air leak that was increasing with the higher RPMs. Now with the liquid gasket she's running very nicely. I also saw that the Halls Sensor had loosened slightly and shifted a touch, so I re-centered that. That didn't seem to make a difference.

One more recent issue with this plane - now when the engine is running the elevators shake and move intermittently on their own - my guess is radio interference. This intermittent movement is independent of whatever controls I do. I've had this plane for over a year and this is a new development. Can radio interference pop up out of nowhere? From what I see I can't find any obvious wear on any cables. Am wondering if Ch 2 on the receiver might be going bad (though the elevators work fine when the engine's not running). Any other thoughts? Guess I can swap in another EI to see if that's the cause. Any ideas on what I should look for that might be generating radio interference?