Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Today's gas no problem... NO way...

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Today's gas no problem... NO way...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Today's gas no problem... NO way...

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I think we have established that some areas have problems with the available fuel, and some don't. So I don't really understand the posts that say, ''WELL I DON'T have any problems with fuel so you guys must be crazy or doing something wrong.'' (Or similar comments.) This does nothing to address the issue. And once again, I am not convinced it is ethanol that causes the problems; but perhaps other additives and combinations of additives with ethanol that might cause the problems.

I buy large lots of unwanted/discarded gas power equipment from various sources in the Tucson area, and have done so for years. Virtually 90% of the machines have some sort of a fuel system degradation. Do you think I would bother using a special ''storage fuel'' in my airplanes if it wasn't necessary? No way, but I got tired of having carb problems and having to rebuild the carbs every two months or less, and never knowing when the flop tube in my fuel tank was going to go stiff and kill the engine when I flew inverted.

The problem is real.

AV8TOR
And once again, it is really irritating when people say there is no problem. I've been a mechanic for 45 years, and I've damn sure had problems with fuel and fuel system component compatibility, and have serviced literally hundreds of machines that have also had fuel system degradation problems. THE PROBLEM IS REAL. For the record, I AM NOT against ethanol, and I think we should go to all ethanol or mostly ethanol like Brazil has been doing for many years, and tell OPEC to "go stuff it". But SOMETHING in the fuel is screwing up my fuel systems if I don't use my Coleman fuel after run/storage fuel in all my planes.

AV8TOR
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Boboeing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are problems I'm sure but I don't believe that the problem is a result of the Ethanol component in the gasoline. There's something else going on. It's possible that the gasoline itself has higher than acceptable fractions of organics that are detrimental to rubber components in the carburetors and fuel systems. Gasoline is a mixture of at least eight basic hydrocarbons and cheaper grades can contain aromatic hydrocarbons in percentages that may attack many rubber compounds. By the time that the proplem appears it's too late to change brands. May be why Coleman fuel works for some.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: blakeketcham

Hi, I found a trick that was in Model airplane news or Model aviation, Can't remember, but it works. Use a 5 gal can and get 4 gal of 89 or 93 Gasoline, whatever you use and put 1 gallon of WATER in with it. Shake it up a lot or if if you prefer put half these quantities in to make shaking easier. shake it a long time, this will attach the Ethanol to the water and separate from the Gas. Let it sit 8 hours minimum or just do the next step the next day. The water will sink to the bottom as will the Ethanol .After all this, pour slowly or better yet, siphon off 3.5 gal and leave the rest for waste. the resulting fuel will be free of Ethanol. I put a tap on the bottom of my shake can and pour from the bottom tap into a clear cup until there is no water as it sinks in the cup with fuel and is quite noticeable. Any Pilots will understand as you must remove water from the tanks in wings and such the same way. I remember reading a article about South American RC flying and what they have to do because there fuel is worse. hope this helps. Blake K
Ha Ha ! I LOVE IT !!!!

The green zealots have occupied EPA, and is forcing everyone to put food on our gasoline tanks. All in the name og Globull Warning.

And here you come with this simple trick that sabotage their whole setup.

Bookmarked!