Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

#4 ignition module of DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 AM
gr8flyer55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: #4 ignition module of DLE20

Hi Captin'...
In the process of folding up some new aluminum boxes for my ignitions. What plug type do you want the test ignition for?
I have a few plug wires and caps to fit a CM-6 plug. Also have a few to fit the weedeater standard 5/8 hex plugs, or just a rubber boot with braided shield and ground wire.

Sorry for the delay in responding, must have scrolled by your reply posting the other day when you replied with your address.

John
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gr8flyer55

Hi Captin'...
In the process of folding up some new aluminum boxes for my ignitions. What plug type do you want the test ignition for?
I have a few plug wires and caps to fit a CM-6 plug. Also have a few to fit the weedeater standard 5/8 hex plugs, or just a rubber boot with braided shield and ground wire.

Sorry for the delay in responding, must have scrolled by your reply posting the other day when you replied with your address.

John
I sent you a PM....Thanks Capt,n
Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

I've got a slight mental block here. On my DLE 20 engine, if I hold it with the spark plug straight down toward the ground, I'm looking directly at the ignition sensor. It appears to be centered along the engine casting line. First question. Is that position about 34 degrees BTDC with the #4 ignition module? Second question. If I loosen the two sensor screws and want to change the spark to 28 degrees BTDC would I slide the sensor to my left or right ( keeping the engine inverted with the plug pointing at the ground).

With the muffler off I can see the piston rise through the exhaust port as the engine is slowly turned. It gets to a point where it is neither rising or lowering and has a little play back and forth at that point. I believe that to be TDC. At that point, I look at the sensor and see the small round magnet is about 10 mm to the left of the sensor edge (measured from center of round magnet to outside edge of plastic sensor housing). Will the round magnet be closer to or farther away from the sensor when timing is at 28 degrees verses 34 degrees.

Thanks
Indiomike
Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ignition fires just as the magnet leaves the sensor.

At the 34 degrees advance setting with the piston at top dead center, the magnet will be farther away from the magnet than with the advance set at 28 degrees

Which way to turn the sensor depends on if you are behind or in front of the engine
Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

W8ye

I've got the engine in hand. I'm looking at it as if I we're in front of the prop ( standing in front of the plane if it were mounted). The round magnet is to the left of the sensor about 10 mm. . Normal engine rotation will move the magnet away from the sensor at this point. At what appears to be TDC, the magnets' left edge is lined up with the left edge of the sensor housing.

Is my thinking correct in that timing set at 34 degrees BTDC will fire sooner than set at 28 degrees. Therefore, when the piston is at top dead center, the magnet will be closer to the sensor at 28 degrees than it would be at 34 degrees. If that is correct, then moving the sensor housing to the left will be correct direction I need to go. In other words shorten the distance from magnet to sensor to go from 34 degree to 28 degrees. Is that correct?

Indiomike
Old 05-29-2012, 03:22 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is all correct. I varified it with my DLE 20.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: gr8flyer55

I named my system Black Box CDI. Probably cause there seems to be so much mystery to the electronics.
Captn' , if you want to know the mysterious secrets inside, I'll send you one to see for yourself.

John
Best offer I had lately....send that Black box to 296 Lizzie ave, Hesperia Mich 49421. Thanks I will do a honest review of it. Capt,n
<hr />Well I got the Black box ignition yesterday and probably willinstall it on a engine and do some test running. I have the ignition with no advance curve so I will set it to fire at about 28 degrees BTDC. The spaklplug wire looks like it is Premium 5mm Belden and I am guessing it has built in resistance....not positive. I hope it will not harm the ignition by using a non resistor spakplug. This unit does not have a shielded sparkplug wire and is set up more for stationary engines. My test will be with a RC airplane engine...but just on a test stand. I can hook up a reciever and a servo to test for radio interference. Will post results later. Happy 4th of July which is about 40min away now. Capt,n
Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 PM
gr8flyer55

You are correct, it is Belden resistor wire. You can use the ignition with a non-resistor plug without problems. I'll be sending you a version with timer board for auto-advance for your planes to test also. That one will have full shielded plug wiring and cap. You'll more than likely get RFI with the one for the Hit & Miss engine ignition since you requested no shielding or advance board.

Just built a twin ignition for my friend Dave who has a ZDZ 80 twin. It originally had a Vlach ignition which failed so he offered to try one of mine. We timed at 28 degrees, fired right up and he mentioned that it never ran so good. Put a smile on his face and mine. The plane it is on is a 1/3rd scale Extra 260. Maybe some video tomorrow if the weather holds.

John
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 AM
captinjohn

gr8flyer55, Right on...that is the ignition I want to try. I just mentioned the detais so other readers would know what I am testing & kinda what to expect. Since I do a fair amount of Old Time engine shows...there should be some potential buyers. Not may non RC folks know about CD ignitions, but can sure benifit from them. Thanks for sending me the CD Black Box. It sure looks well made. Capt,n