Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition Modules

Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Modules

I have often wondered can you use different ignition modules with different engines like a Red Lion module on a DLE? Or a 50CC module on a 30CC?
To me a spark is a spark but is there a difference in timing, like instead of firing as the magenet passes under the pick up there is a delay?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Modules

There are timing differences in even some RCEXL models supplied as a OEM component.

For example the DLE 20 module has a #4 imprinted on the ignition module. This one has no advance curve. The advance suddenly changes at a lower rpm.

I would be careful about swapping between brands. You will need to check the resulting advance with a degree wheel..

Almost all ignitions fire the plugs at generally 28 degrees, full advance, before TDC at high speed but how they get there from the timing sensor is another story.

All the after market RCEXL ignitions have the same curve and only differ in how many coils or the type of spark plug connector.

Some brands have a retard algorithm and some an advance algorithm. Some brands sense at TDC and some at 28 degrees before TDC.

Some have Hall effect sensors and some have inductive pick ups.

On a RCEXL ignition, it fires the instant the magnet leaves the sensor. If you are measuring the advance and turn the crank backwards, you will get a wrong number like 40 degrees when it is actually 28 degrees when turning the crankshaft in the direction that the engine runs. The difference will basically be the width of the sensor plus the width of the magnet.

Milton Thompson has converted a lot of gas engines to RCEXL ignitions and he has to position the sensor to fire the ignition at, usually, 28 degrees before top dead center.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM
pe reivers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent explanation.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 PM
al010964

Hi All,

On a (kind of?) related question, I am changing my OS GT55 ignition over to the rcexl 30 unit.

I think that i have the second generation rcexl unit that also has a tachometer lead as well as the battery and timing lead.

Question is can I use the tachometer lead and not the timing lead.... and would this cause any damage.

Normally I wouldn't hesitate to cut the timing lead and change it over so that it fits the OS configuration, but I don't have any spare shells or my crimpers with me.

Any help would be greatful.

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The are both sensor outputs and I don't think there is any difference in impedance?

You can try and see what happens.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 AM
al010964

Thanks W8ye,

Gave it go, didn't work unfortunately - will have to wait until I get my tools and change the ends over.

Cheers,
Adrian