Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3 Bladed WWII prop data for DA/DL/DLE?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3 Bladed WWII prop data for DA/DL/DLE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 AM
sodbuster 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Bladed WWII prop data for DA/DL/DLE?

Trying to decide between the Xoar or the Biela.
Anyone have data using one of these on one of these engines?
I prefer the looks of the Biela over the Xoar.Much more scale looking.

The size of choice is 20x10
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 3 Bladed WWII prop data for DA/DL/DLE?

Im guessing your looking for the 50-56cc size motors

The only thing I can tell you is that the Biela war bird 3 blad props are sexy even more in person! But hey load like no ones bussness. LOL ( I have kept this prop on my wall for a few months as a desplay peace. LOL)

I got one of there 18X10 scale 3 blade props, I just put it on a new unbroke in PTE36R and was only able to get 5500rpms, It may get a little more wih some work and time.

I put this same prop on BME50, and it was only able to get around 6500-6800rpm and only 20 or so pounds of static thrust vs the 24 pounds with a 22X8 at 7400rpm ish. Now a DLE55 has a lot more power than this BME50 Im useing but Im trying to show they load harder than you may think.

It seem like most 3D guys like the 20X10 non scale 3 blade biela prop wich I thinkput you in the 6800rpm range with a 50-56cc you give up some speed and thrust with 3 blade over a 2 but some guys have to use them to slow there motors down to meet there clubs nose issues, and it helps act like an air brake.

I just looked at TBM and it seems like the 18X10 is the only scale 3 blade they have listed. And On a DLE55 I would say you would bein 72-7400rpms with this 18X10 so this should give you about 22-24 pounds of thrust.

So the question is what warbirdis she going in.

I hope this helps some.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike thanks for the numbers on the PTE and this prop. I have the same prop and tried it on my DLE and could only get 4,200-4,400 with it. i would be happy with 5,500 on my project as it would be very close toscale and quiter.....
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
sodbuster 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,
Thanks for the numbers.
They ARE beautiful props. Almost a work of art and look WAYYYY more scale than the Xoar. I just received a 24x 10 for a Brison 6.4 twin that's going in a 96" Bearcat I'm putting back together. Not too concerned with the performance on that one as the plane is overpowered anyway.First prop I've ever had that balanced perfectly out of the box.

However for the DL50 I need to prop I am a little more concerned as I don't think the motor will have as high a power to weight ratio.

To answer the question as to what it's going on, a KMP T-28 81"wingspan. Should weigh in around 22 lbs I think.

As far as your numbers go, I have a bit of advice.
DO NOT break your new motor in on a 3 blade because like you are seeing, they load an engine way more than a 2 blade.
Something you definitely don't want to do on a new engine. Puts too much stress on the internals making it work that much harder.