Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Spark plug, wire & cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE Spark plug, wire & cap

New to Gas and DLE Engines; I changed the original Un-Marked Spark Plug with a NGK CM-6; I had to use a lot of effort and force to push the metal shielded Spark Plug Boot solidly onto the Spark Plug, is this normal? Also, my engine came with a Spring which I'm presuming goes inside the Spark Plug Boot, does the spring help ground the plug, and is it needed?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DLE Spark plug, wire & cap

Yes its normal to have a snug fit on the spark plug boot. The spring is not needed. It is meant to place inside the plug cap.. Irun all mine without the spring, and everyone else Iknow also toss's them asside.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 AM
STUKA BARRY

Those sparkplug caps can sometimes be a real bear to get on and off. There is a cerclip at the bottom of the cap that spreads apart over the hex on the sparkplug itself, this is normal.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 AM
dasintex

'STUKA BARRY'; do you go along with 'Shimano' in regards with the 'Spring'?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not Stuka Barry but I certainly agree regarding the spring. The cap makes a very good ground connection by itself ... spring not needed if the cap is all the way on the plug. When fully installed, the cap will fully cover the hex part of the plug.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM
dasintex

Hey Guys, thanks for the help, I had fully seated that Plug Boot down and noticed the 'Spring' laying on the floor, and I wasn't looking forward to removing it now to put the spring back in.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+3 3 dle's no springs no problems
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a 1/4 wide geared hose clamp. Makes for easy on &off...
they do not slip off. Just check the screw on clamp once in a while.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's a tip to help you get the cap on all the way and also for getting it off, just give the cap a half turn and push to get it fully seated on the plug, and similarly a half turn and a pull to get it off.

Karol
Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM
captinjohn

Yes that is the way. When you turn the cap the Hex on the sparkplug acts like a ramp to expand the cap so that it will go in place more easy. Watch close when you do it and you will see and actually feel how this happens. No rocket sicence....heck any Old timer on here could tell ya that !

Old 07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
karolh

Capt,n,

I guess at my age I should qualify as an old timer, now wether that is good or bad that's another matter

Karol
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

I just bought a new dle 111 engine and ran about 1gal thru this engine with the stock plug without any problem. My question is, if the stock plugs working ok why change it ?? Is there something wrong with the stock plugs? what am I missing here??.

P.S new to twin engine
Thanks guys
Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
karolh

Some work but most don't so consider yourself among the lucky few, just make sure you have a CM-6 replacement on hand for when the stock ones craps out.

Karol
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: karolh

Some work but most don't so consider yourself among the lucky few, just make sure you have a CM-6 replacement on hand for when the stock ones craps out.

Karol
Ok
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 PM
dasintex

I changed mine because it came loose on the first run breaking in 1 gal of gas, talked to someone else and they said the Plugs come loose caused a few deadstiks, talked to yet another person, and he said it was well documented on another RC website that the OEM DLE Plugs come loose, that the compression washers fail, that everyone changes them out for the NKG CM-6; that was evidence enough for me to do the same, I will say, the engine ran great with the DLE Plug, except it came loose.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: dasintex

I changed mine because it came loose on the first run breaking in 1 gal of gas, talked to someone else and they said the Plugs come loose caused a few deadstiks, talked to yet another person, and he said it was well documented on another RC website that the OEM DLE Plugs come loose, that the compression washers fail, that everyone changes them out for the NKG CM-6; that was evidence enough for me to do the same, I will say, the engine ran great with the DLE Plug, except it came loose.
Well.. I did notice how loose my plug were out the box. So that could be the reason why others was having problem with loose plugs.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:24 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

I just bought a new dle 111 engine and ran about 1gal thru this engine with the stock plug without any problem. My question is, if the stock plugs working ok why change it ?? Is there something wrong with the stock plugs? what am I missing here??.

P.S new to twin engine
Thanks guys
My answer would be because of the well known high failure rate, and just as well known cause of erratic running? I agree with you though. If they're working and you aren't having issues, run em! But do have spares handy....
Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 AM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

P.S new to twin engine
Thanks guys
My answer would be because of the well known high failure rate, and just as well known cause of erratic running? I agree with you though. If they're working and you aren't having issues, run em! But do have spares handy....
Thanks guys point well taken, I guess my phobia started when (In the past) I replace a working spark plug for a better plug on my ZDZ 80 engine and end up with a close call dead stick and a strip out cylinder head. Not saying is the plug fault, just want to make sure the stock plug is not falling apart inside the cylinder.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 AM
karolh

Most times stripped spark plug cylinder threads is caused from dumb thumbs. One thing to remember is never attempt to remove a plug from a hot engine as in doing so you are asking for trouble.

Karol
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: karolh

Most times stripped spark plug cylinder threads is caused from dumb thumbs. One thing to remember is never attempt to remove a plug from a hot engine as in doing so you are asking for trouble.

Karol
Hey Karoth how is things in cool Mandeville? hope to visit your field sometime.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
karolh

It's been very wet and windy these last couple of weeks but otherwise we are good. Would love to have you visit anytime you are in the neighbourhood.

Karol
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM
grossy2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody tell me the spec's of the resistor that's in the cap for a CM-6 plug?

Cheers
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: grossy2

Can anybody tell me the spec's of the resistor that's in the cap for a CM-6 plug?

Cheers
I-K 1 W
BCCHI