Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Where to mount the ignition box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where to mount the ignition box?

Mine is rubber mounted with ample airflow under it. I chose not to mount mine flush because of heating / airflow issues I have been informed about. Others may have more info on this than I do.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 AM
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: littlera

John,
If you know him and get a chance, please ask him what is the issue with shipping / selling his products to buyers in the USA. Depending on what you find, I may pursue the matter. I appreciate it very much!
I was interested in the Maule as well, but shipping was more than the price of the plane... be nice if a US distributor picked up a couple. Tho the world seems smaller every day.. a mile is still a mile...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Taz,

Great idea with the rubber stand-offs. This offers some vibration isolation as well as optimizing the cooling under the ignition. Can you post a close-up of the isolators and tell us where you obtained them? (The spark plug cable hides the isolator in your photo.

Radical Departure,

You may be the one who posted the ridiculous shipping quote about a year or so ago. It was so egregious I have never forgotten it. I guess what Glen's Models is saying is that they really do not want to participate in the USA market unless the buyer wants to offer up an arm and a leg.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried to call him today but no answer, i've got a funny feeling he's away with the family for a few days.

I will get him at some point this week and get you an answer.

john
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Littlera:

I have the Seagull Spacewalker 2. The 120 size. We maidened it last week and flew it twice before I ran into some engine issues (not related to heat).

I'm using a DLE 20 which fits entirely inside the cowl so I had to extend the exhaust out about 4 inches and also cut some cooling holes in the front (below the prop) and a much larger hole toward the rear of the cowl about where the ignition is mounted. This is to keep the engine itself cool.

The engine has gone back under warranty for some fixing!!

The plane flies really well, just a little up trim on the elevator. It's a slow go-er much so don't expect to do any real tricks or anythingnice slow lazy 8s and loops are fine. Doesn't roll much at all.

Great for a relaxing afternoon.

There's a build thread on the forum for the the Seagull version of the plane.

Larry
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

GO TO THE FIELD WHERE MEN ARE FLYING GAS ENGINES TALK TO THEM GET HANDS ON ADVICE THEN
Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So with all these posts there is no one talking about keeping it 12-18in from the reciver?

Is this not so anymore? Im building Corsair and it would help to know this.

Thanks mike
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I HAVE A SPACE WALKER IGNITION IS MOUNTED RIGHT BE HIND THE ENG. ON THE FIRE WALL 30 FLIGHTS NO TROUBLE YET