Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 38CC 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARDAL
Tks Carlwb & Tyor. I ALWAYS store my plane nose down, hanging from tail, my nececity due lack of space. whren hanged, the rocker cover is higher than the camshaft so the migration do not occur whren stored.
In a closer view, i noted the contact surface tween cam and lifter is virtualy zero, whren rizing the contact lifter/cam is an edge cut in the base of lifter ( may say virtual contact surface) , hence, extreme pressure...and the grooves.
I'll post some pics to try explain my obs. I smoothed the 'edges' to cilindrical surfaces couse I think that edge may not be the cause of damage but is an issue anywere.I'll also, using an 'T' connector, feed the crankcase AND camshaft with the same line from intake manifold.
This will: Improove the cam lub or spoil crank lub or balance the lub througout the engine
Fig 1, original lifter, fig 2 smoothed lifter.

The edge of a flat tappet should never contact the cam lobe. That cam pictured above doesn't look like it was ever finish ground. The surface of the cam lobe is one of the most critical in a flat tappet engine as it operates under extreme pressure.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 05-19-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking that the engine wasn't lubricated well before it was test run. Thus the damage may have occurred mostly in the first engine run if the cam and lifters weren't oiled to start with. Hard to say now though as it is after the fact. But a number of people have had this happen with Saito and OS engines before though as the factory wasn't oiling the engines much if any. So maybe that was the problem.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 AM
PARDAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
The edge of a flat tappet should never contact the cam lobe. That cam pictured above doesn't look like it was ever finish ground. The surface of the cam lobe is one of the most critical in a flat tappet engine as it operates under extreme pressure.
Agree but I measured and skeched cam & lifter and only after 60° the cam do not contact the edge.
In this engine the lifter's edge DO CONTACT the cam between 10 up to 60 degrees.
Earlb, agree the damm damages did not occurred at once but, after 1 1/2 hs runing uppright the performance was so good i decided install the motor in the airframe, but i dont discard the possibility of the dammage started in the first run and got critical later.
If last is true, the problem is worse couse the three first tanks was run with oil 20:1, 100% sintetic, motor well primed and turning in rpm recomended by builder.

Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cames ngh 38cc.png
Views:	146
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	1996909  

Last edited by PARDAL; 05-20-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Pontiac_40
My Feedback: (3)

Agree but I measured and skeched cam & lifter and only after 60° the cam do not contact the edge.
In this engine the lifter's edge DO CONTACT the cam between 10 up to 60 degrees.
Earlb, agree the damm damages did not occurred at once but, after 1 1/2 hs runing uppright the performance was so good i decided install the motor in the airframe, but i dont discard the possibility of the dammage started in the first run and got critical later.
If last is true, the problem is worse couse the three first tanks was run with oil 20:1, 100% sintetic, motor well primed and turning in rpm recomended by builder.

Thank you all.
Pardal,
Please don't take offence to this question, and in no way am I trying to question your abilities. How did you calculate the 20:1 oil ratio, make sure you did not make a mistake
Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gas Oil Mixture Ratio Calculator

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Pontiac_40

Pardal,

How are the lifters moving? I'm guessing that a lifter lockup could cause scoring. Spring pressure would be another area to look in to, I doubt it but still worth a check.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM
PARDAL

Pontiac_40, no offense at all, we are just chating trying to solve one problem i have, that is beyond my abilities, that may be of general interest.

The maker instruction says: 2. For break in use 2 cycle oil at a ratio of 25:1, and general use with 35:1.
I run a Saito 57t that maker recomends break in 20:1 and general 25:1. Users prefer use 20:1 allways in the saito, so do I.
Teoreticaly my NGH is still breaking in and i use 20:1 insteady.Whay? Less oil may dammage the engine and more oil tend to accumulate more carbon in the engine but too much oil just make a big oil mess.
Oil ratio. I use to buy 3.5 liter of high octane gas and add oil this way:
20:1 => 3500/20 = 175 cc of oil or say, oil content in % is (175/(3500+175)) x 100 = 4.76 % oil content. The oil is measured using an graduated test glass, no guess work.
Occured to me the cam surfases may had not been hardened properly. I'll wait my spare cam arrive and run it with the modified lifter i rounded the contact surfaces.
Lets see.

Last edited by PARDAL; 05-20-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM
PARDAL

After findings, I checked the lifter ( with an magnifyer ) for scores, not a single one. They were slipping in their sleeves freely.
Spring pressure were ok and iqual both sides. ( It is said the NGH 38cc valve springs are not that strong ).

Last edited by PARDAL; 05-20-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Pontiac_40

Pontiac_40, no offense at all, we are just chating trying to solve one problem i have, that is beyond my abilities, that may be of general interest.

The maker instruction says: 2. For break in use 2 cycle oil at a ratio of 25:1, and general use with 35:1.
I run a Saito 57t that maker recomends break in 20:1 and general 25:1. Users prefer use 20:1 allways in the saito, so do I.
Teoreticaly my NGH is still breaking in and i use 20:1 insteady.Whay? Less oil may dammage the engine and more oil tend to accumulate more carbon in the engine but too much oil just make a big oil mess.
20:1 => 3500/20 = 175 cc of oil or say, oil content in % is (175/(3500+175)) x 100 = 4.76 % oil content. The oil is measured using an graduated test glass, no guess work.
Occured to me the cam surfases may had not been hardened properly. I'll wait my spare cam arrive and run it with the modified lifter i rounded the contact surfaces.
Lets see.
That mix seems correct, that's about 5.92 Fl oz.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 PM
ALFIEV

Lets see.
Interesting comment..... I have been wondering about hardening and finish on your cam. My experiences so far with this engine have been far from plain sailing.... but my valve cam looks just fine. My engine is installed inverted and I have been storing it "head-down". Spark plug does get oiled while stored, a quick clean before starting seems to work just fine. I might store it "head-up" in the future, just means I'll get a bit of fuel coming out of the fuel tank vent line when I turn it to "flying orientation". Not a biggie for me.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:29 PM
PARDAL

Default Alternative lub lines

Alfiev, it looks many fellows are flying the ngh38 inverted without issues.
My prime suspect is becoming the cam surface hardness, of course the poor contact cam/lifter is his partner in the crime.
By the way, what about that dam oil ring I heard was a mistake, just a mistake.
All recent ngh 38cc uses only two pressure rings.
What would You call me if I throw away the oil ring.

I must add an coment on lubrication of the camshaft. (bitten by snake are affraid of worms). I would not like to loose this engine.
I intend to lub the crank case as usual and the camshaft also. The vent niplle bellow the shaft connect directily to the cam gear and it seens a good idea to lub it .
See fig.

Name:	lub line.png
Views:	233
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	1996995  

Last edited by PARDAL; 05-20-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:47 AM
PARDAL

BINGO - I tryed to saw and file the cam surfaces and found them as soft as an allen bolt read, by comparison.
The cams in my engine really came too soft. The lifter was properly hardened.
Let's wait the spare that is under way.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Basil Yousif

Parts Needed!! I was running my NGH 38cc on the stand and because of the vibration the intake manifold broke at the flange that mounts it to the engine. Where can I get parts. Hi Model is always out of stock and another place in UK is very expensive. They want $30 for a $6 part. Any US parts houses for this engine.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 PM
ALFIEV

Don't know about stockists in the US, perhaps AMR in Canada might be a better option for you? Also consider that, although Himodel doesn't show "in-stock" they may be able to source from NGH and ship to you quite quickley.
Well.... that was my experience anyway.

This is the second intake manifold I have heard of that has cracked through!

Good luck!

Alf
Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Pontiac_40

Basil, I had the same thing happen to my engine (page 28). I bought my engine from AMR, they took care of me and I'm very happy with there customer service. You can try to see if they have the part in stock, there shipping to the USA is very reasonable. Try to contact them since they don't list parts for this engine on there website. The other guys would be agape racing, somebody mentioned them early in this thread. It is really frustrating, believe me, I know.

http://www.amr-rc.com/

http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/index.php
Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 PM
PARDAL

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
Parts Needed!! I was running my NGH 38cc on the stand and because of the vibration the intake manifold broke at the flange that mounts it to the engine. Where can I get parts. Hi Model is always out of stock and another place in UK is very expensive. They want $30 for a $6 part. Any US parts houses for this engine.
The only store I got some parts was Hobbyking. I found the camshaft i needed and valves.

Sorry, no intake manifold.
I thing the carb must be at first firmly fixed in the angle to the back plate and then the upper flange tightened to the head, to minimyze efforts in the manifold flange.

Last edited by PARDAL; 05-23-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 AM
earlwb

HiModel was really good at getting NGH engine parts for me. Contact them. They may not show the parts in stock, but they are right down the street from the NGH engines facility. So they have a great knack at being able to get the parts for the engines.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Basil Yousif

I called AMR they have the part shipped for $20. Is Himodel cheaper. The part is $6 at Himodel but what's there shipping cost for a small part like that. I'm thinking it's better to order two of these.

Himodel just sent me an E-mail - there's a parts freeze on NGH 38cc right now.

Name:	SAM_1276.JPG
Views:	711
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	1997684  

Last edited by Basil Yousif; 05-23-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM
earlwb

Well that is a bummer. Better to order more locally than overseas as I think the shipping may be less.

One could likely get a welder to weld the intake manifold back up. Then machine the flats for the mounting screws, etc. The welded repaired manifold might even be more strong than the original too.

I was wondering if the bracket holding the carburetor on became loose or not. If the carb came loose that would explain the intake manifold breaking then. Or does the bracket flex too much contributing to the failure.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Basil Yousif

The Bracket on the carb did come loose before the flange broke. I'm going to locktite the screws next time.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM
ALFIEV

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
I called AMR they have the part shipped for $20. Is Himodel cheaper. The part is $6 at Himodel but what's there shipping cost for a small part like that. I'm thinking it's better to order two of these.

Himodel just sent me an E-mail - there's a parts freeze on NGH 38cc right now.
Hmmmmnn....a parts freeze on NGH 38 at Himodel? Wonder what's going on!!
Old 05-24-2014, 06:32 AM
Pontiac_40

If you guys remember in the beginning of the thread, somebody discovered that one of the engine stand-offs was touching one of the carb bolts, it actually touches the carb venturi as well. The point is, that if correct clearances are not achieved by grinding the stand-off etc,, the vibration could cause the stand-off to put pressure on the carb pate (by slapping against the carb venturi) making it loose and then eventually transferring the stresses to the manifold.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 PM
tyor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they changed the carb bolts on the later engines, so that is not a problem anymore. It was not a problem on any of mine engines.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Basil Yousif

Here's what Hi Model Responded to me about the NGH 38cc engine parts:
[TABLE]
[TR="bgcolor: #DCEDFC"]
[TD]2 HiModel, Fri May 23 14:47:43 2014
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #EDF8FF"]
[TD]Hi,
Due to factory supply problem, those parts are not available currently.

Regards,
Wang
HiModel.com
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Maybe the manufacturing crew all went on vacation!!
I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for this engine!!

Last edited by Basil Yousif; 05-24-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Pontiac_40

Originally Posted by tyor
I think they changed the carb bolts on the later engines, so that is not a problem anymore. It was not a problem on any of mine engines.
I think they did, but the clearance is minimal, I think they touch when vibration is high, I shaved some of the standoff to increase clearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.