Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Choice between DLE20 and Mintor 22, What would you pick out?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Choice between DLE20 and Mintor 22, What would you pick out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Choice between DLE20 and Mintor 22, What would you pick out?

Here is how I mounted my engine. Like it a lot !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38903.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1822529  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you looked the XYZ 20cc from valley view rc ? looks to be a great value.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the Mintor muffler has some flexibility, it is also an oddball design that sticks out sideways. It has 4 mounting bolts instead of the standard 2 bolts. For my application and many others, that is not a problem. But if you are installing it in a narrow cowl, like a Mustang, Spitfire, etc... I can be a challenge. I believe JTEC has done an adapter for the 33/38 cc engines, don't know if they did it for the 22cc?

Even though I prefer the Mintor 22, the muffler setup might be the determining factor for the application you are choosing.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Captain John why did you put the fuel tank on the same side as the head of the engine? Didn't that make the lateral balance a little tougher to do?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks guys for the input, info and experiences.

I've seen couple of threads about various other Chinese engines, like JC23EVO, EME etc. I'm still inclined to getting Mintor 22 and probably I'd consider the other choices too since there is still time.

I'm sure y'all enjoyed turkey as much as I did

Mody
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 AM
armody

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Armody,
In your description of your existing gasser plane, I could not tell if you had an optical kill switch. The optical kill switch allows you to cut off ignition from your transmitter. That is used along with the usual battery switch for safety reasons in case you have a runaway condition during flight (like a stuck throttle).
The optical switch is highly recommended (almost compulsory) in our club.
I have to agree with AHICKS on the wing loading issue. Even if you are an expert flyer, a super high wing loading kills the fun of flying, IMHO.
From reading what others have said, the NGH engine is less powerful than Mintor, DLE, or RCG/F. RCGF is cheaper, but I heard that some of them had quality issues, maybe from early production runs? I'd keep the choices between Mintor or DLE, unless you have extra money laying around and can afford the OS22.
Hello hsukaria,

I'm sorry I could not reply back to your posting. You have specified about the optical kill switch. I wanna ask why is it necessary to have one, or is it mandatory or not? I've installed two harness switch on my Yak, one is for the R/X other one is for the ignition. I'm using 6Volts Life battery for the receiver and 1500 nimh Spektrum for the ignition switch. Whenever I need to turn off my motor I just simply turn of the switch harness button.

I think I can used my Hitec Aurora 9 radio to cut the throttle off!

Mody

Old 11-23-2012, 02:40 AM
unclecrash

Opto is a good thing to have. I don't know how all radio's kill the engine but the one's Im familiar with kill using a switch or a button to close the throttle, that's all fine until either your throttle sticks wide open or you have a linkage failure, you will be able to kill it using the opto to kill ignition to the motor. Where as the radio cannot kill it because the throttle linkage is fallin off or the throttle is jammed. And Im not sure but the opto might also kill engine if you loose radio contact. Or if not you can use the opto if your plane is trying to fly away
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 AM
littlera

Opto kill is a significant safety factor, as well as a convenience. It is the quickest reacting (instant) of any kill method in an emergency, and maybe the best feature it will automatically instantly stop the engine in the event of any type radio failure or glitch. I saw this in action this summer when a friend flew a 26cc gas plane when he had not properly charged the receiver battery. Battery ran out, plane went out of control, but engine instantly quit. Result was amazingly only slight damage to plane after it spun into pillow-like soybean plants.

Opto kill should be on ALL large planes. Surprised AMA does not require it. It is cheap insurance.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:47 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

yes the xyz from valley view is an excellent value i have had a 50 cc xyz, good motor. my friend however has a mintor 22 cc gas. very lite and powerful turning a 17x6 xoar prop. one of the best looking motors i've seen. his runs great and is not real loud either. the difference in price is about 70.00. i still would choose the mintor over the xyz if you can hack the extra bucks............RON
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

Captain John why did you put the fuel tank on the same side as the head of the engine? Didn't that make the lateral balance a little tougher to do?
I placed the tank where the fuel lines would hook up to the carb easy. The balance is done by shifting the 2 battery packs in the wing. I and a friend that has the same airplane checked this out and Iwas really amazed on how balance may look... compared to what it really is. Capt,n
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I flew my Pulse 125 w/ DLE20 this morning with a MA 15/7 Three Bladed prop - VERY NICE.....I was getting about 9500 RPM with 16/6 and this one tops out right at 8800 on the ground PLUS I now have some ground clearance
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM
armody

I've read somewhere that if DLE20 is giving RPM under 8,000 it's good I think prop size is 17X6 but if it's revving more than 8,000 it may end up giving a lot of stress on the crank shaft, I don't know how true it is. I'm not an RPM or speed freak, I want my plane to fly good, have a good low passes and awesome verticals.

As tailskid mentioned he was getting 9500 RPM with 16X6 it's way beyond mine as I was getting nearly 8,200 to 8,400 on my DLE20 with Xoar 17X6 Beechwood prop. RPM exceeding 9,000+ is gonna hurt the motor or not in any sort of way? Some people push the engines to the edge, pushing the motor to it's limit what I can think may create problems with the engine if I'm right? How one can push engine to its limits? By adding more oil to it as DLE20 says 30:1 or 32:1, making DLE20 run on 40:1 or 50:1 would cause issues or not? What oil ratio does Mintor 22 need to run on.

About the opto kill switch. Once's it's installed, how does it work? does it work through your Radio? or how does it work, I've never used it so I have no idea on it[]

Mody
Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mody,
IMHO, Tailskid is running his engine on the edge...

RE: the opti switch, many assign the landing gear retract switch to use with the opti switch. Very easily done on your radio. Once set, that switch will act as an on-off switch for your ignition. Bonus functions are as mentioned earlier. If the receiver isn't getting a solid signal telling the opti switch to run (for ANY reason) - it doesn't! That could also mean that if you have your plane in the pits after a flight, if your transmitter is turned off, there's no danger of your ignition still being on due to the fact you've forgotten to turn it off? Rcexl opti switches are widely available for less than 20.00, so it's become almost standard practice for lot of us. Part of a good plan?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM
hsukaria

The manual I got with my Mintor 38cc says 50:1 oil ratio using only high performance synthetic oil like Stihl HP Ultra or Redline. It also requires using premium gas.
Not a problem for me since I only used up 2 gallons the whole season. Next year I hope to use use up 3 more gallons. I was told that you need to run 5 gallons through these engines before they are really broken-in.

Armody,
As much as I like the Mintors, take a closer look at the muffler and make sure it will fit your application without much tearup of the engine cowl.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 PM
armody

ahicks, hsukaria,

I will research a lot on it. So far I have setup my mind on Mintor 22. The plane I have decided to get is Sea Fury by Seagull model. December 16 is not very far. As soon as I get my paycheck I'm going to order my plane and the motor. I will have to look into deeply to figure out if this Mintor 22's muffler can get through the cowl easily without creating a lot of mess.

RCExcel's opto kill switch is $29.95 at http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-shipping.html

On Ebay it's less than $20 so I will get it from there. I guess I'd figure it out once I've gotten it

The model I wanna get it now Seagull's Sea Fury http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...20-arf-SEA3565 can I used standard servos with it?

I have 8 of these brand new servos with me

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html

Thanks

Mody
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you should seriously consider going with metal gear servos on any gasser. Most of us that have been flying them have seen/experienced too much trouble with anything else.

Like you said, hooking up that opti switch pretty easy.
-Al
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Even the metal geared servos have one gear that is plastic,They say it's a planned weak spot. Needless to say when I found this out I was less than amused.
But I agree with Ahicks about the metal geared servos in all gas engine planes.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
okinox

Mintor good motor youtube oskarlozan.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM
hsukaria

Armody,
We never heard back from you regarding which engine you got and how the plane has been flying.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

I think he moved to KY without planes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM
okinox

Goods fly my EXTRA 330S Phoenix Model 1650mm. Mintor22 was 8600RPM with APC17x6 not fail in fly never. Vertical fly to fast.
I am delighted with my engine, great sound¡¡¡
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: okinox

Goods fly my EXTRA 330S Phoenix Model 1650mm. Mintor22 was 8600RPM with APC17x6 not fail in fly never. Vertical fly to fast.
I am delighted with my engine, great sound¡¡¡
I can imagine that plane will be massive over-powered with a 20cc gasser. I have the same plane but with a .74 2-stroke glow engine and it is a fine machine. Weighs only 7.5 lbs.

Did you need to change the landing gear to get ground clearance for the 17-inch prop?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: SigMan

have you looked the XYZ 20cc from valley view rc ? looks to be a great value.
Have about 30 flights on the Valley View 20.Nice little engine.I also have two DL 20 both are fine after I changed the ignitions. I did not buy them with the DL Ignitions as I knew about the funny timing on the RCEXL #4 Ignition.Yes you can adjust around this problem but it is a PITA.I build my own ignitions..
The VV engine handles a little eaiser then the DLE and is smoother.Has a Walbro carb,NgK -spark plug and new RCEXL ignition.I think a intro price of $189.don't think you can beat it. The price will probably go up.
BCCHI
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 AM
okinox

The motor is correct for model. Good parts NGK-RXCEL. 20 flights good response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.