Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jspauld2
Not every engine had the problem. It was an isolated case with a few of the early engines. It is entirely possible that you may have one of the bad cranks. We will stand behind the product regardless.

I have not seen a case in which the crankpin failure destroyed anything else in the engine (bearings, liner, piston, etc.). I would recommend running the engine as normal and only check into it if you notice any irregularities.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Have you tried the OS gas-glow [lug on your engine?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM
jspauld2

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Have you tried the OS gas-glow [lug on your engine?
We have not tested that at Horizon since the OS GGT has been released.. Early on in the 10cc development, we did experiment with running gas on a glow plug. Ultimately, we decided the benefits did not outweigh the reliability of spark ignition. I have not seen one of the OS GGTs run, but it is an intriguing concept.

Jimmy
Old 02-18-2016, 01:26 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by jspauld2
Not every engine had the problem. It was an isolated case with a few of the early engines. It is entirely possible that you may have one of the bad cranks. We will stand behind the product regardless.

I have not seen a case in which the crankpin failure destroyed anything else in the engine (bearings, liner, piston, etc.). I would recommend running the engine as normal and only check into it if you notice any irregularities.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy , you do realize Im from Australia ? I dont know how that affects horizons support in that is it world wide or just a USA thing ? I did get the engine when they 1st became available ( and I mean the very day ) . I guess I do need to start running it . Its been sitting in an ugly stik as I didnt want to press another plane into action until I retire another . Is there a time frame that the problem will show itself if its going to ? cheers the pope
Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM
jspauld2

Originally Posted by the pope
Thanks Jimmy , you do realize Im from Australia ? I dont know how that affects horizons support in that is it world wide or just a USA thing ? I did get the engine when they 1st became available ( and I mean the very day ) . I guess I do need to start running it . Its been sitting in an ugly stik as I didnt want to press another plane into action until I retire another . Is there a time frame that the problem will show itself if its going to ? cheers the pope
I did know that, but forgot the issue with servicing Australia. We will make every effort to support the engine regardless of your location. If you run into any issues, please just contact me directly and I will try to get it all straightened out. It will become apparent fairly quickly if you will have a problem.

Thanks!
Jimmy
Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 PM
the pope

Thanks Jimmy . Cheers
Old 10-10-2016, 07:03 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Well, I'm very happy so far with my Evo 10cc gen2 with the pumped carb. I'm running 20:1 Stihl Ultra HP synthetic oil and now a 11x6 prop.

I've run about 6 tanks of fuel through it, one tank on the ground, the rest in the air. I'm using a 6 ounce tank because that's what fits.

My OS46 did a good job in this plane but the Evo does a great job. The plane (a Phoenix Dolphin) is way faster and I love the sound. It sounds like a baby Harley...

My OS made a oily mess out of the plane. The Evo puts out a little black soot that is easily wiped off.

I had to go 1 click in on the high needle and a little less on the low side. I will be trying a 12x6 on it later when it has been broken in.

Did I mention the sound..... I love it!

Bob
Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 PM
AirmanBob

Yeah... what Bob said !!!!!
Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 PM
AirmanBob

Well, I switched to a 12x6 Master Airscrew K6 series and the engine seems to like that a lot better. I had to open the high speed needle about 3 clicks and the idle about 2 clicks and it runs great.

I'm really enjoying all the extra power and fuel economy. And my plane stays so much cleaner now. Also, it starts up so easily, and no more glow plugs to burn out.

Highly recommended.

Bob

I think it was a great investment.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:51 AM
ashby

Oops double entry

Last edited by ashby; 11-24-2016 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Duplicated
Old 11-24-2016, 02:26 AM
ashby

I have two Evo 10's with the original carbs on them. Both are fitted to planes that require them to be fitted inverted and while they have been running Ok I have always considered the pump carb as a better way to go.
I bought two carbs from Horizon and when they arrived immediately took one of my motors out of the plane and fitted the new carb. Whole operation took less than an hour and I was happy with the final product. Fitted the motor to my test stand and fired the motor up, worked like a charm and ran up and down the rpm with no hitches. Very pleased with the mod. 
Then fitted it back into the plane and took the plane down to the field for a test flight. Unfortunately nothing happened, could not get the motor to start no matter what I tried. After much frustration I packed up and decided to investigate on my workbench where I have sufficient tools. 
I always check electrics first as that is a common problem. Using the Rxcel tester I determined that the sensor worked, the CDI was fine but when I checked for a spark no luck. Changed plugs and still no spark so changed CDI units from the other motor and all was good, nice spark and that allowed me to try again. Still no luck with the starting. Starter was actually getting warm with the workout. Took the plug out and no fuel! So put the plug back in and rigged a means to cover and uncover the carb air inlet with out getting my hands too close to the prop. This time with the air inlet closed the engine fired up but only ran for a few seconds. This was a good indication of not enough fuel getting through. So checked the low end needle adjustment and found it was wound in tight, tried to wind it back out but it just spun freely as though it was sheered off. Wondering if there was a bit of binding on the throttle body and as I tested my throttle limits I wound the unit in? Either way it was not working. So grabbed the other carb that was destined for my second motor and fitted that, checked the low end needle and it was a lot further out, so hopefully it was in the right factory setting. Once everything was connected I put the starter on and within seconds had a happily running engine that ran up and down through the rpms beautifully  
Now I have a carb that is stuffed and wonder if Horizon will fix or replace for me? Looks like I will also be needing a new CDI unit as well.
Looking forward to flying this Sunday though should be a lot of fun.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:36 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You didn't mention one way or the other, so I have to wonder, did you install a pulse port on the crank case somewhere when you went with the new style carbs?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:03 PM
ashby

Yes placed it in the same location that they have it on the new engines. quite a bit of meat there to drill and tap into, so it was easy. Just have to make sure it is a small nipple and it is centred other wise it will interfere with the surrounding projections of the engine, fins etc.
I also checked for wear as per your post Earl and found this engine to be fine.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:07 PM
ahicks

Have you had this new carb apart to see what happened to allow the idle needle to spin freely? If I remember right, there's a couple of O-rings on it to keep it snug wherever you leave it. If those are missing or messed up, I could see it turning pretty easily. -Al
Old 11-24-2016, 05:11 PM
ashby

No Al I have just put it on the bench and deciding on the best course. I guess it is possible to rebuild the offending part using the pieces from the old venturi carb but I have asked Horizon if they will help on this.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:25 PM
ahicks

Don't blame you for asking about help, but I was thinking about robbing parts from the original carb. From what I've seen, the parts from both in that area are interchangeable. For the time it might take to swap them out, that would be my plan....
Old 11-24-2016, 06:31 PM
ashby

I will have a look tonight and play around a bit. it is a worthy plan as it will allow me to put my other plane back together and get it on the field.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:11 PM
ashby

So I started taking the carb apart to find out what went wrong. Easy stuff first with the removal of the throttle arm and then undoing the over size bolt which is holding down the pump cover and releases the barrel. When I pulled the barrel out the needle stayed in the carb! Curious as I am I pulled the needle out and the spring that helps keep the barrel tight. Nothing wrong with the needle it is a very simple design and the two o rings were in good condition. So I placed the needle back into the barrel and screwed it back in. The threads caught nicely and everything went back together like new. Now I am really curious as to why it dropped out of the thread before stopping? How can I gently wind in the needle until it stops and then wind out the required 5 turns? This will be interesting and will need further investigation, no doubt there is a simple explanation and I look forward to finding out what it is
Old 11-25-2016, 05:00 AM
ahicks

You're holding the barrel/throttle just cracked open with that piece of wire when setting the 5 3/8 turns out?

Regarding that 5 3/8 turn setting, my broken in engines both do well at something just under 5 turns, so that's where I started setting mine after having one apart for some reason. Also, I was working with somebody on another forum, and apparently there's a revision in the instruction manual now being supplied, for a new suggested setting of 4 1/4 turns (vs. the original 5 3/8). Just food for thought. -Al
Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM
ashby

How I read that is the turns on the low speed are sufficient to open the gap slightly when the throttle is in closed position. That actually makes a lot of sense.
Now to find out why my cdi is not giving a spark, suspect the spark plug lead.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:14 PM
ahicks

If you've nosed it over on a less than graceful landing, that'l do it for sure!
Old 11-25-2016, 11:34 PM
ashby

Nosing over is probably a polite description for the event that pushed me to fitting pumped carbs
Old 11-26-2016, 05:14 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ignition Module voltage range

I finally got around to checking the actual voltage range for the EVO RCEXL engine ignition.

Based on my testing it looks like it will work from 4.3 Volts to 8.4 Volts.

I didn't test for operation over the high end of the voltage range for obvious reasons, but I did want to test the low end.

While it is possible to use the EVO ignition module with a 4.8 Volt Nicad, or NiMH battery pack, it will be a problem if an IBEC is used with it, since that will drop the voltage by at least 0.6 Volts. Most meters used to check the pack will show OK down to 4.6 Volts, that will not be good for the ignition since it will be at only 4 Volts, 4.6 minus the IBEC drop of 0.6, and the ignition module will not fire.

All this is based on a limited sample, so there may be a couple of hundred millivolts error.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:18 AM
ahicks

ashby
That'll do it! The metal boot on this engine, as well as the one on it's bigger cousins (the CM-6 boot) are pretty exposed in an inverted install, and do not take kindly to that kind of thing at all. If the engine starts showing hard to start symptoms after an incident like that, just change it.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 PM
smr2ley

Default 10GX2 with O.S. G5 glowplug

I just purchased on ebay (US) a great condition secondhand 10GX2, great that is except the US seller obviously couldn't get it to run when HE had bought it, I found the carb must have been taken apart and the front metal cover was fitted the wrong way around so the pump wouldn't work, easy fixed. The low speed needle was just about falling out so I followed the instruction book to set the low and high speed needles exactly to spec, as they were all over the place from the previous guy. (Don't some people mess around!)
I have recently bought a new O.S.GGT15 which is the gas engine with a GLOWPLUG, and I had a spare G5 plug which screwed directly into the 10GX2, it fired up first time and it runs great, without any adjustments whatsoever. I have saved over 2/3 the new cost by buying this non-running engine. And this is how I intend to use it. NO IGNITION SYSTEM, so saving the extra weight and no fiddling about with extra wiring. Very pleased with it, going initially in an Acrowot Mk2 to replace the previous K&B 65 sportster, that engine really hauls but is pretty thirsty.

Last edited by smr2ley; 11-15-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

WOW, I'll have to try that. Would not have expected the 10GX to run on glow. How is the performance compared to ignition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.