Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

High wing loading on Stik with a wacker engine??

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

High wing loading on Stik with a wacker engine??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM
coalburner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High wing loading on Stik with a wacker engine??

I'm having lots of fun converting weed wacker engines. I'm hoping to fly with them this spring.
To get into the air, I was thinking of using my newly acquired Joss Stick that currently has a
Super Tiger 90 on it. The Stik has 877 sq. in. of wing and weighs under 9 lbs. with an est. wing
loading of approx. 23.5 oz/sq. ft. I was thinking of replacing the engine with a 21cc wacker engine
(7200 rpm with 16x6 MAS prop). But this brings the est wing loading up 30 oz/sq. ft.
Think this plane will get off the ground? Should I scrap this idea and make a bigger plane
like a SPAD for my wacker engines? I'm trying to learn to build lightweight after coming
from a live steam hobby where adding an extra 100 lbs. to a model steam locomotive for
more traction is not a big deal.
Your input and guidance will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: High wing loading on Stik with a wacker engine??

At 30 oz's per sq in" puts the wing loading up around where some of the war birds fly at. You also have to consider the CG with the heavier engine hung out there in front, Has that occurred to you? you may end up adding more weight yet to achieve the correct balance point.
Myself I would look at a larger air frame to accept the heavier engine's.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Joss Stick is on the heavy side anyway
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually the guys shorten the nose of the plane some to compensate for the weight up front with the engine.
Usually for a .60 size plane, they are using .60 on up two stroke engines and .91 on up four stroke engines, with the .91 to 1.25 size four stroke engines being popular. With gas engines many people were going with something like the DLE 20cc gas engine. So using a 21cc converted trimmer engine shouldn't be a problem. There are several people at our flying field flying 20cc gas engine powered stick style planes already.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have converted the Great Planes Big Stik numerous times with very good success, but it has nearly 1000 square inches of wing area. (966?) I usually put the lightweight and powerful Echo 24cc engines on them, with electronic ignition to lose the weight of the flywheel, etc. They fly great. My brother has one with a Stihl 20cc on it that I converted and he loves it. The heavier Joss Stik with less wing area would be marginal I believe. It would definitely fly, but it would be heavy...

Then there's the Giant Stik.... I have one of those with a 48cc twin I made on it, a smoke system, etc. Still floats like crazy. Always amazes me how long it will glide with power off.

AV8TOR
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Smaller tank on the CG (8oz), two servos in the tail and a light weight muffler. Boom no problem.

Upgrade to a light weight electronic ignition for a new experiment.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 AM
coralcape

I modified an Ugly Stick 60, with 4lbs of lead weight on the CG. The idea was to learn to fly a plane with high wing loading. I had recently finished a P-51 with a very high wing loading and used the Stick as as a learning tool. Good results, Stick took it with no problem. Good luck, red
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Cyberwolf

I suppose the real question is here, is what type of flying do you want to do?