Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

I am happy to announce to the gasser hobby

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

I am happy to announce to the gasser hobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am happy to announce to the gasser hobby

ORIGINAL: acerc

And Bill Dance is just the guy to convince me to try a new oil! NOT!!! No thanks, I'll stick with a proven winner, Stihl Ultra.
Ever met him?

Jess
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Over the past 60 years I used all kinds & brands of Dino oils. Some name brand - some unknown brands. In the early years it was just 30 wt car motor oil. In the last 40 years it has been two cycle oils only and a lot of Lawn Boy and brands you never heard of. In the last 40 years the random 2 cycle oil has been mixed at a ratio of 32:1.

Of all the yard tools, outboard motors, chainsaws, and model airplane engines, I've never had anything clogged up with carbon, stuck rings, or scored cylinders that I purchased new or rebuilt myself. I have purchased many items used and some of these were ruined when I bought them or they were given to me. So I have plenty experience refurbishing damaged engines.

I have had my share of rusty bearings on glow fuel powered planes - mainly on engines seldom used.

In the last 10 years I have only used Penzoil Aircooled two stroke.

I have some high performance model airplane engines and chainsaws. They all get the Penzoil and there have been no problems.

With the Saito gasoline jobs I have used the oil at 20:1

So all these magic snake oils have meant nothing to me.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: jessiej

ORIGINAL: acerc

And Bill Dance is just the guy to convince me to try a new oil! NOT!!! No thanks, I'll stick with a proven winner, Stihl Ultra.
Ever met him?

Jess
Glad to see you finally made it back to the ole home town.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I think the big question would be what is the difference between air cooled two stroke oil and outboard two stroke oil? Plus is there any difference with using all synthetic motor oil and air cooled two stroke oil?
It seems everyone is blending stuff and pouring it into various containers, but it all seems to come from the same place.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm no chemist but I'd assume (yes, I assume from time to time) that outboard oil will burn off at a lower temp than air cooled oil would simply exhaust outboards are water cooled. It would not be wise to use oil for a water/liquid cooled engine in an air cooled engine although I've never tested it. Anyone have an engine they can sacrifice for the education of the rest of us?

That would put part of this subject to bed once and for all.

At the end of the day, I think the oil/gas mixture and needle settings to be the deciding factor in how an engine runs/lasts and not necessarily the quality of oil being used.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I'm not a chemist or a petroleum engineer, I'm not sure I even qualify as a particularly knowledgeable modeler, but I am opinionated and that seems to be the only qualification for posting here. So, here's my 2 cents worth. Back in the day, I worked in the oil distribution business and discovered that there are only 2 or 3 companies that actually refine crude oil. There is a difference in the finished product from these producers. It has to do with level of refinement and the additives. The blenders play a roll in the additives and in the base stock that they use. There was some crap being produced called Golden West and Amalie that came out of the barrel already black. I saw a lot of it being used in irrigation motors, but never in a critical application. Mystic was one of our premium oils. It was used in a large variety of farm and industrial applications. Their grease was second to none. Their oil was not as popular as Quaker State or Pennzoil or Castrol, but that was due primarily to advertising (or the lack thereof). Several of you have stated what I think is the ultimate wisdom on this issue. And that is, tune your engines correctly, provide adequate cooling (ventilation) and use a good quality oil at 32:1. You can use synthetic oil if you want to after a couple of gallons of petroleum based for break-in. You should probably stay away from Wal-Mart, or other store brands as these are designed to be profit generators. Stihl, Mysitc, Amsoil, Shindiawa, Pennzoil etc. will all give you good results if you use them correctly. Just because someone loudly advocates one brand over another doesn't make it better, it only sounds better because the person using it has had good results. You will be successful and have good reults if you use your choice correctly.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Spectrum in TN packages a lot of the two cycle oils sold in the USA by the name brand companies like Dolmar, Echo, Lawn Boy, Poulan, Toro, Walmart, Bailey's, and Husqvarna. They also use some of the Citgo products.
Yeat another "Pop Corn Eating Deer" candidate
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 AM
hsukaria

That's two new oil threads in a week!! Both include the deer with popcorn. Good entertainment!!

Anyway, regarding lawn equipment, they are relatively cheap and the engine usually outlasts the rest of the tool by a long time. So for those, I allow myself to use whatever 2 stroke oil is available on the shelf (cheap).

On the other hand, for my one model gas engine, Stihl HP Ultra just gives me a nice heart-warming fuzzy feeling. Don't know why, maybe because it is more expensive and is recommended by my engine manual?

Regarding oil manufacturing, my guess is that the base oil comes from a common refinery. But then the oil brands add their special additives to make it "superior".
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI,
Base stocks come in classes: The higher refined, the more expensive, and the higher the VI (viscosity index last in the list). Group iii in general is a very good mineral oil.
API BASE OIL CATEGORIES
GROUP I >0.03 And/or <90  80-120
GROUP II <=0.03 And >=90 80-120
GROUP III <=0.03 And >=90 >=120_
GROUP N  All polyalphaolefins
GROUP V All others not included above

Want to know a bit more? Here is some good reading:
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&v ed=0CD0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lubeng.com%2FLEl ibrary%2Fdocs%2FDocBinBlob.aspx%3FDownload%3D1%26I D%3D%257B88b0b346-b812-4700-9d03-77b2d2c1f66b%257D%26AttID%3D%257Bac0c1991-74f7-e111-9a95-001372110544%257D%26Version%3D1&ei=a3Z5Ufb3G8GIOO-agPAJ&usg=AFQjCNHFOgLGN-KmgYwa3-kCeEnuFEpw9g&sig2=bJqZqrhIKInhEPCO3mAh5g&bvm=bv.45 645796,d.ZWU
Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Whistling Death

This oil thread has been a good one. It has been hilarious and informative at the same time.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Would you all accept that EVERY brand of oil ever offerred on this forum has ''cooked'' EVERY brand of engine, at one time or another? TIC
Yes.
If the engine isn't tuned properly it doesn't matter what oil you use.
If the engine isn't cooled properly it doesn't matter what oil you use.

And if the oil ratio is too low, eventually you WILL melt a jug of any engine you care to name. 200:1 is too thin. Or it was that time.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Rudolph Hart

After reading all the comments on this subject here i now have a slight headache so i'll apply the kiss principle and say..don't ever argue with W8ye.He has high performance chainsaws
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

My favorite quote comes courtesy of I believe Mr. Duke Fox. "Lean is Mean".

Anyone got a picture of an elephant or giraffe eating popcorn?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM
w8ye

I got the Panda and the Giraffe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28275.gif
Views:	19
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	1876273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65568.gif
Views:	15
Size:	981.9 KB
ID:	1876274  
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Now I've seen it all! LoL. Thank you w8ye!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM
MTK

Outstanding...... Thank you!!

Absolutely LOVE the Panda...hell, he looks like me!! OOOPs, can I say "HELL" or is ForumKen gonna strike me dead?
That's the one I'm gonna use from now on

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I got the Panda and the Giraffe

Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Texastbird

Now we need a debate about the best oil to pop corn with! Love the Panda and giraffe w8ye!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM
pe reivers

Still waiting for answers to my questions. If not, go get the corn stuff guys.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peanut oil is probably the best to use for making popcorn. They typically use something like 1 part oil to two parts popcorn. You add say 1/3 cup oil to the popcorn pan and a couple three popcorn kernals, when the pan heats up enough to pop the kernels then add the rest of the popcorn and pop up a batch.  There is a commercial popcorn oil that is used the stores, etc, called  "Gold N Pop" that would be really good to use too, but it might be harder to get though.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Peanut oil is probably the best to use for making popcorn. They typically use something like 1 part oil to two parts popcorn. You add say 1/3 cup oil to the popcorn pan and a couple three popcorn kernals, when the pan heats up enough to pop the kernels then add the rest of the popcorn and pop up a batch. There is a commercial popcorn oil that is used the stores, etc, called ''Gold N Pop'' that would be really good to use too, but it might be harder to get though.
And probably has a lot of coconut oil which used to be what was used in movie theaters...

Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM
w8ye

What about the coon eating popcorn?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41482.gif
Views:	12
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1876412  
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Rudolph Hart

Where's the beer?? and how about a brand name with a difference for a new oil.I'll start with 'conrods a poppin'
Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 AM
jessiej

After the nuclear apocalypse the only things left alive will e cockroaches, Keith Richards, and the oil debate.

Jess
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

What debate. I use the best oil.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
pe reivers

me Too
ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

What debate. I use the best oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.