Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas radial engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, it sounds realy nice.......I would stick a Kolm IL200 in it :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_bt_IuJXGk
Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

At the AMA Expo in 2013 Peter Bergstrom made reference to the very real possibility that Evolution would be releasing the 9-99 in a GAS version and quite possibly a conversion kit for existing glow 9-99's... an awesome possibility... PETER???

Another consideration is this::: O.S. seems to have perfected the "gas/glow" plug for 2 strokes, at least for small displacement cylinders. IF this technology follows past history, how long is it before we have reliable "gas/glow plugs" for 4 strokes?? And LOOK at what that very real possibility offers we who love radials, but HATE glow!?
With a 4 stroke gas glow plug, an existing Evo 7 or 9 cylinder radial could be fitted with new plugs and possibly a different carburetor (for gas) and away we go
Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Alex70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, the perfect method to choke Saito FG-60 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-37pPYzWM
Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 PM
miker49
My Feedback: (4)

hey everyone here.i'm heading to the WRAM show this fri.i've looked here for a part # for the Rcexcl plugs.no luck.do they just offer the one 1/4x32 plug? want to get some before i fire up the fg-60.HK seems to be outta stock again.thanks everyone
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can anyone in this thread comment on whether you can reliably run a these gas engines (FG60 in specific) on glow fuel? I know for example Adrian at CH ignitions regularly tests between gas and glow on the same engine. Any drawbacks? I'd love to run an FG60 radial on glow and not have to bring petrol stained stuff into my basement methanol is much better in that regard.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:11 AM
SJN

I would say the largest drawback is the rust/corrosion.

If I had run my ASP 400 with gas, im pretty sure it would look much much better on the inside.
Methanol/nitro realy is corrosive when its inside a large volume area like a radial crank case.
Yes, the ASP stuff might not be as good quality as saito, but my single cylinder ASP engines have no problems at all, and they are made of the same materials.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00222.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	2075093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00225.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	759.5 KB
ID:	2075094   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00231.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	2075095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00235.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	2075096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04273.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	716.8 KB
ID:	2075097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04274.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	755.9 KB
ID:	2075098   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04275.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	802.9 KB
ID:	2075099   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05621.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	834.1 KB
ID:	2075100  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05622.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	727.4 KB
ID:	2075101  
Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM
chorner

True on the rust/corrosion, however that also has to do with the design of the engine and proper distribution of oil etc. There is a backplate modification out there for the ASP 400 engines that solves/improves fuel and oil distribution. It's similar to the design of the Evolution radial, or the Moki etc. and also the new FG60 R3 backplate design. So that helps at least.

Other than corrosion, is there any real issue with using methanol directly in one of these gas engines. From what I understand, the Saito radials are really just up-bored versions of their methanol counterparts with CDI ignition...? The only thing I wonder is if the ignition timing would need to be changed for running methanol.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Alex70

Hola chorner,

I´m not sure, but I think there is nothing special to do in saito radial gas engines to use glow fuel, just change gas plugs for glow plugs, I believe that the engine will run as a Saito radial glow engine...

Last edited by Alex70; 02-21-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 AM
SJN

The intakes side on the saito are of the same design as the ASP radial. It is seperated from the moving parts of the crank case.

But if you try it, please tell us how it goes.
There are no limits to what you can do :-)
Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Alex70

For sure, more rpm and power using glow fuel than gas, for sure more internal rust and less petrol stained stuff into your basement.

Last edited by Alex70; 02-21-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by chorner
can anyone in this thread comment on whether you can reliably run a thesöe gas engines (FG60 in specific) on glow fuel? I know for example Adrian at CH ignitions regularly tests between gas and glow on the same engine. Any drawbacks? I'd love to run an FG60 radial on glow and not have to bring petrol stained stuff into my basement methanol is much better in that regard.

Yes you can but there are issues that need to be covered.
Gas CDI timing is around 28 degrees before TDC, you need to run 34 degrees on methanol or it will be a very lazy engine.

Moving the crank sensor on these is a little difficult but not impossible as it sits in a recess. You could run it with glow plugs instead of 1/4x32 spark plugs but it will be smoother and better on fuel on CDI.

Next is the compression ratio, gas is much less than Glow, it will still run you would best pulling off the cylinders and getting someone to machine half a mm off each one to bring up the compression or it will be a lazy engine.

If you like glow like me then im sure im teaching granny to suck eggs when I say 15-20cc of after oil will keep the corrosion monster away.

I use 50% air tool oil and 50% Rislone engine treatment in the crank case, dont hold back, get plenty in there and give 3 hits with your elecric starter to spread it around. This photo is my 3 year old Saito 82 crank case using my method, the second is about 6 months using only a few drops of air tool oil.

I make a plug for the crank breather with fuel line and a screw to keep the oil in there for storage but let drain out minutes before use.

Also the carby is different, the gas one wont do, a carby off a saito 82 will feed it nicely.

Hope this helps , naturally all these mods would void your Saito warranty.

Cheers Bk

Name:	20150128_205010.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	2075204   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150128_204809.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2075205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-02-22-07-38-00.png
Views:	729
Size:	921.2 KB
ID:	2075216  

Last edited by Blair K.; 02-21-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM
chorner

Awesome, thanks for the info Blair. Appreciated. I wonder instead of increasing the compression by modifying the cylinders, if you could simply run high nitro content like "30%" for example? Adjusting the timing a bit shouldn't be too difficult a task. I'd not want to run on glow plugs as that'd defeat the purpose IMO.

p.s - has anyone dealt with CH Ignitions? His customer service in my experience has been piss poor. He's had my engine since December 16th, and granted he's making a new kind of sensor ring attachment (which is already made... got an update from him) but he very rarely responds to emails and I've tried calling and nothing. Really a big piss off... his stuff might be good (no clue as I haven't used it yet) but it's pretty annoying having my entire engine over there with true turn spinner etc. waiting for him and having him ignore and not answer questions directly.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Blair K.

I have had plenty of dealings with Adrian@CH ignitions, the ignitions are a sideline business, he is an engineer of some type but i cant remember, he has been helpful to me with my custom 5 cylinder ignition module, he was good enough to make only the necessary bits and leave all the rest to me to save me to save me $$$.

Id say you have got him at a bad time, remember there not so many options out there for the custom rc engine market so it may take time but its normally worth it.

Timing: seriously mate you don't wanna run a 60cc glow radial on 30% nitro to make up for timing, these things are thirsty !!!

My FA325R5 (53cc) sucks down 450cc in 4;40 seconds, make the methanol earn its keep, pulling down a engine isn't such a big deal, i just spent 10 hours fixing a Saito FG33R3, it seized after 2 flights so i helped out it owner by rebuilding it with custom inlet, rod bushing and crank machining.

lots of avenues to machine those cylinders and the upside is making even more power if you wanna run 30% nitro.

cheers Bk
Old 02-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Blair K.

I have had plenty of dealings with Adrian@CH ignitions, the ignitions are a sideline business, he is an engineer of some type but i cant remember, he has been helpful to me with my custom 5 cylinder ignition module, he was good enough to make only the necessary bits and leave all the rest to me to save me to save me $$$.

Id say you have got him at a bad time, remember there not so many options out there for the custom rc engine market so it may take time but its normally worth it.

Timing: seriously mate you don't wanna run a 60cc glow radial on 30% nitro to make up for timing, these things are thirsty !!!

My FA325R5 (53cc) sucks down 450cc in 4;40 seconds, make the methanol earn its keep, pulling down a engine isn't such a big deal, i just spent 10 hours fixing a Saito FG33R3, it seized after 2 flights so i helped out it owner by rebuilding it with custom inlet, rod bushing and crank machining.

lots of avenues to machine those cylinders and the upside is making even more power if you wanna run 30% nitro.

cheers Bk
Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM
chorner

Thanks again for the reply Blair. Probably just caught him in his busy season/a bad time then, and you're right in that the options are limited. The only ones I know of are him and Morris' Mini Motors which both use the same ignitions and parts... all RCEXL based though I think the sensor pickup rings are custom to each. Anyhow... I'll give it some more time. I'm sure the product will make up for the bit of a lack of communication

I have no problem pulling down an engine at all, I just don't have the proper tools to cut down the cylinders accurately! Haha, yeah no doubt they are thirsty for sure but that's just crazy. My first foray into radials... but the 7-77 will get decent run times (~10+ depending on throttle usage of course) off a ~750cc tank, and on CDI it should be a little better in general so that's long enough to keep her up in the air for some fun!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by chorner
Thanks again for the reply Blair. Probably just caught him in his busy season/a bad time then, and you're right in that the options are limited. The only ones I know of are him and Morris' Mini Motors which both use the same ignitions and parts... all RCEXL based though I think the sensor pickup rings are custom to each. Anyhow... I'll give it some more time. I'm sure the product will make up for the bit of a lack of communication

I have no problem pulling down an engine at all, I just don't have the proper tools to cut down the cylinders accurately! Haha, yeah no doubt they are thirsty for sure but that's just crazy. My first foray into radials... but the 7-77 will get decent run times (~10+ depending on throttle usage of course) off a ~750cc tank, and on CDI it should be a little better in general so that's long enough to keep her up in the air for some fun!
What country are you in??

My radial should not be a reflection on the normal Saito FA325R5, its been given a little encouragement, she pulls an 11.4 kg P-47 thunderbolt at 188.3 kph and its not fully ran in yet either.

it pulls a Biela 19 x 12 @7200 revs if you get me and thats on 15% too!

If you measure your cylinder head at TDC by putting nice thick metered oil from a syringe through the spark plug hole we can work out it compression ratio and exactly what has to come off the bases, 12.2 to 1 compression ratio will get it cracking.

My FG33R3 only had about 85 psi compression which is really lazy for glow fuel.

Cheers Bk
Old 02-22-2015, 06:54 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hpergm

Set-up:
1. SP-2 plug on top cylinder (smaller gap) and Rcexl plugs on the bottom cylinders (larger gaps to avoid fouling). Made sure plug caps were 100% securely seated on all plugs to rule-out misfiring from that source.
2. Changed Klotz Techniplate to Castrol Power 1 oil to avoid carbon build-up in No.1 and the huge oily mess from the exhaust evident in previous runs.
3. Changed oil ratio from 15:1 to 20:1 to improve combustion and avoid plug fouling.
4. High needles started @ 4 turns out and low needle @ 8 turns out (previous set-up from rich WOT running)
5.Prop is still an APC 22x10.

Observations:
1. Leaning the test stand ~20-35 degrees to either side at low to mid throttle does has an effect on cylinder temps when the engine is still rich; cylinder closer to the bottom will load-up and its temp will fall (misfires due to plug fouling most probably).
2. Low needle is dominant and the engine should be tuned by that - not the high. The high is relatively insensitive in most of the throttle travel and only affects maybe the top 5% of the throttle curve. The effect of the needle on the engine takes several seconds to take hold (i.e. requires a slow tuning reaction/decision).
3. Cylinder temps will balance only when the fuel mixture is close to optimum (i.e. leaned-out). Chance misfires/fouling will occur if engine is anywhere near rich.
4. After running the engine @ WOT for at least 2 minutes, with optimum mixture, cylinder temps will be balanced within less than 10% deviation at all subsequent throttle settings, including idle.
5. The only safe way to lean-out the engine (i.e. tune the low) is by observing temperatures near the peak rpm at 50-75% throttle; there is a "peak" regime where the rpm does not change much but temps will! Why this? Because a good state of tune basically matches cylinder behavior in terms of "misfires" (= non-explosions); for example, on one case, one of the cylinders may have many more misfires (= colder) than another (= hotter) while on another case, both cylinders will have an equal amount of misfire events and thus run at the same temps. However, in both cases, the average power output of the engine (rpm) will be the same...! A further indication of optimum tune is the absence of observation #1 above - little change in cylinder behavior while leaning the stand left or right with respect to horizontal.
6. After tuning the engine just so, there will be no misfires (plug fouling) at any throttle setting, no hesitation in transition. About 6,700rpm is achievable with a 22x10.
Based on my experience up to now, I would conclude that:
- The wider-gapped Rcexl plugs are perfect for this engine - avoid the small-gapped SP-2s, at least on the bottom cylinders

- Rotating the engine during initial rich running-in helps out tremendously. After lean-out, it is not really needed.

- The Castrol Oil gives out much less residue and seems to inhibit plug fouling. Also, the 20:1 ratio gives a better burn and less chance of fouling.

- The engine requires a good warm-up before achieving a perfect tune. The intake parts where the fuel is atomised and distributed need the temperature to atomise the fuel - the result will be even cylinder temps. Any rich running will cool the intake and will allow loading-up/richening and/or plug fouling of the bottom cylinders at different engine orientations. This is risky for flight. So, its good practice to run the engine @ WOT on the ground for 1-2 minutes. From idle to WOT, I found that it takes at least 30sec for cylinder temperatures to peak. The WOT running will heat-up the crankcase/inlet chamber to help good fuel gasification thereafter. Possibly also blow-out any residues from the plugs.

- The real trick is to tune the low by temperatures and not rpm. The high just needs to be open enough to provide enough fuel to the low. It is for this reason (mistake) that the top cylinder was a temperature runaway in the first runs (tuned the high first).

Thanks again for your sharing your experiences!

What did you determine to be optimal temp? The video shows ranges from 130 to 174C

Cheers
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 AM
chorner

Originally Posted by Blair K.
What country are you in??

My radial should not be a reflection on the normal Saito FA325R5, its been given a little encouragement, she pulls an 11.4 kg P-47 thunderbolt at 188.3 kph and its not fully ran in yet either.

it pulls a Biela 19 x 12 @7200 revs if you get me and thats on 15% too!

If you measure your cylinder head at TDC by putting nice thick metered oil from a syringe through the spark plug hole we can work out it compression ratio and exactly what has to come off the bases, 12.2 to 1 compression ratio will get it cracking.

My FG33R3 only had about 85 psi compression which is really lazy for glow fuel.

Cheers Bk
Wow that sounds like quite the mod to your engine Blair I'd definitely measure if I could, just gathering information first before actually purchasing another engine as I've got a 7-77 but may not use it for the current project (H9 Corsair)

I'm in Canada myself. I see you're in Australia? Nice
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 AM
hpergm

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
Thanks again for your sharing your experiences!

What did you determine to be optimal temp? The video shows ranges from 130 to 174C

Cheers
Mark, optimal temperature level is anything that will not seize or stall the engine and optimal temperature distribution is <10% differential between cylinders at any throttle setting.
Sorry I cannot be more specific, but anything below 190C looks OK.

BR,
Hector.

Last edited by hpergm; 02-23-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM
marksp

Mark, optimal temperature level is anything that will not seize or stall the engine and optimal temperature distribution is <10% differential between cylinders at any throttle setting.
Thanks!

When I looked at the temp readings on your video, it appeared that your cylinders balanced around 130C, then at the end of the video the temps were in the 170's. My temps are in the 140C range [on 15:1 synthetic] and have yet to balance. Just wanted to check before going too far.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
hpergm

Originally Posted by marksp
Thanks!

When I looked at the temp readings on your video, it appeared that your cylinders balanced around 130C, then at the end of the video the temps were in the 170's. My temps are in the 140C range [on 15:1 synthetic] and have yet to balance. Just wanted to check before going too far.

Cheers

Level depends on throttle setting. Honestly, I don't know what will happen if I leave the engine on WOT for more than 5 mins - maybe temps will go up to 200C..

But, it is safe to assume that this would never happen in reality - unless one decides to put the R3 in.... a pylon racer!

We are always talking about normal use. WOT @ 60mph (22x10 @ 6,4000rpm) for 30sec would represent a travel length of half a mile! More than we will ever fly pedal to the metal.

BR,
Hector.

Last edited by hpergm; 02-24-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Blair K.

Level depends on throttle setting. Honestly, I don't know what will happen if I leave the engine on WOT for more than 5 mins - maybe temps will go up to 200C..

But, it is safe to assume that this would never happen in reality - unless one decides to put the R3 in.... a pylon racer!

We are always talking about normal use. WOT @ 60mph (22x10 @ 6,4000rpm) for 30sec would represent a travel length of half a mile! More than we will ever fly pedal to the metal.

BR,
Hector.
Hector my P47 flies at 171kph at 50-60% throttle and i never fly at less than 50%.

My other warbirds are at WOT for 5-6 minutes at a time, i fly formation most weeks with 2 or 3 other warbirds at 160kph+, we dont pull back unless someone gets out of circuit.

My radial has done at least 2 circuits back to back at WOT being more than 180kph.

If your temps continue to climb at WOT you need to baffle your cowl, my FG33R3 ran at 164 C at WOT with a baffled cowl.

Cheers Bk
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM
hpergm

Originally Posted by Blair K.
Hector my P47 flies at 171kph at 50-60% throttle and i never fly at less than 50%.

My other warbirds are at WOT for 5-6 minutes at a time, i fly formation most weeks with 2 or 3 other warbirds at 160kph+, we dont pull back unless someone gets out of circuit.

My radial has done at least 2 circuits back to back at WOT being more than 180kph.

If your temps continue to climb at WOT you need to baffle your cowl, my FG33R3 ran at 164 C at WOT with a baffled cowl.

Cheers Bk
Thanks Blair - cowl being baffled, dressed-up and '"gilled" as we speak!

Name:	2015-02-14 10.03.33.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2076007   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-14 11.53.33.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	2076008   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-14 16.11.45.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2076009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-14 16.11.54.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2076010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-20 16.57.19.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2076011   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-20 16.57.37.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2076012   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-17 12.15.26.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2076013   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-17 12.46.33.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2076014  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-17 12.46.37.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2076015   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-17 12.47.47.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2076016  
Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM
miker49
My Feedback: (4)

if anyone knows where i can find the Castrol,power 1,racing 2t here in the states let me know.i tried a couple bike shops,auto zone and parts plus and no one carries it.if they order it,i have to buy a case.googled it, all is shipped from Europe.thanks for any help
Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 PM
marksp

Question - I'm using the tuning method shared by Hector & Blair and my temps are fairly close to balanced, although my max temp are lower than experienced by others. My question is - when I throttle down from 75 - 100%, it takes 15 - 20 seconds before the idle settles at 1700-1800 RPM. Sometimes after finding idle, the RPM climbs up 400 RPM or so, before finally settling at 1700-1800.

Am I still a bit rich or is this normal?

Cheers

Last edited by marksp; 02-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.