Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Done with DLE

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by irocbsa
I did read it again and it's typical of hundreds of other threads that stink of trolling on this site. The post is meant to be inflammatory by trashing a particular brand, no advice is sought, a shameless plug is made for another brand, and the guy disappears. People get excited defending or trashing their brand of choice and the thread gets closed. Those type of posts don't do anyone any good but they incessantly pop up, often from people with very low post counts who haven't contributed anything of value thus far. i.e. Trolling. Yeah, unfortunately, it always is like this.
The way I took the op's post was he was disatisfied that the dealer or whoever did not want to hornor his warranty, I know many have said that the plug blew out
because he over tighten it but there is no way they could know that.

In fact how do we know that the threads were not machined wrong or got cross threaded by someone before he received the engine or maybe the plug that came
with the engine had a problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
The way I took the op's post was he was disatisfied that the dealer or whoever did not want to hornor his warranty, I know many have said that the plug blew out
because he over tighten it but there is no way they could know that.

In fact how do we know that the threads were not machined wrong or got cross threaded by someone before he received the engine or maybe the plug that came
with the engine had a problem.
All of your observations are correct with regard to the OP.

I guess that when I read a post like the OP, I revert back to my old school modeler ways and think to myself .... why didn't the guy just fix the problem himself? It would have been quicker and easier than complaining about the engine or the warranty and he would have actually learned something in the process. I'm not saying my way is correct, its just my way and a carry over from being a very independent person. I've owned hundreds of engines over the years and have used factory warranty only for a few DA engines I no longer own. I made some mistakes along the way but learned from them and applied the knowledge the next time it was needed. The OP just whines and learns nothing by doing so unless he gleans something from this thread ..... which he has not returned to.

Oh well, I guess I'll just walk away shaking my head while trying not to become a typical FOG.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
All of your observations are correct with regard to the OP.

I guess that when I read a post like the OP, I revert back to my old school modeler ways and think to myself .... why didn't the guy just fix the problem himself? It would have been quicker and easier than complaining about the engine or the warranty and he would have actually learned something in the process. I'm not saying my way is correct, its just my way and a carry over from being a very independent person. I've owned hundreds of engines over the years and have used factory warranty only for a few DA engines I no longer own. I made some mistakes along the way but learned from them and applied the knowledge the next time it was needed. The OP just whines and learns nothing by doing so unless he gleans something from this thread ..... which he has not returned to.

Oh well, I guess I'll just walk away shaking my head while trying not to become a typical FOG.
Your point of veiw is one way to look at the situation and thats ok but OTOH why should he have to fix it himself? That is what the warranty is for.
And for the record I am not down on DLE I have some of their engines also and so far I have been happy with them.

Last edited by ira d; 01-31-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R/C Ray
I think I've had it with DLE engines. I bought a 35Re less than a year ago w/ a two year warranty. The spark plug blew out of the head not once but twice! When I called to have it repaired I was told it wasn't covered under the warranty and that I could BUY a replacement head for $60! I complained to management and they contacted DLE and supplied me with the head (didn't do the work,but supplied the part). Here is where it gets interesting....the head was on back order! I waited over two months for the part! I really would have been upset if it was the flying season and had to wait that long to get a new engine up and running.

I also have a NEW DL 50 that I've had for a while,but it's brand new. This engine runs fine, but I can't shut it down with the
carb butterfly. The butterfly is completely closed, yet the engine still runs.

Think I'll be sticking with the old reliable Zenoah Gas Engines!?
Read the first post again, he said it happened twice, I think he is doing something wrong.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM
dirtyoldman00
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

posably flooded it and hydro locked and blew out the plug weakest spot
Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

DLE is just that kind of brand ware you hope you diden't buy one made on a Monday or a Friday. My DLE 20 runs great, my dads ran like POS.

IMHO, with just about all brands using CM-6 plugs a 10mm HeliCoil kit would be a smart investment for any one operating a gasser.

Last edited by Lightspeed1551; 01-31-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by captinjohn
And now the meat industry is spending a lot of $$$ paying lobbyist to buy politicians because they do not want to label the county of origin of the meat you are eating. Do you really think al the beef and poultry you eat is US produced? You will be surprised when that "little dark secret" comes out...
Sure would like to hear more about were the beef & poultry we eat in the USA is produced. Maybe others would like to know also. Thanks

that makes a lot of sense now that we have so much salmonella bacteria in chicken now days.i never did understand why we couldn't dress a chicken out with out cutting the intestines.
I have been on chicken farms,it's not a pretty sight.
oh well I am not bashing DLE so back on subject.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtyoldman00
posably flooded it and hydro locked and blew out the plug weakest spot
I have four DLE engines and all are top notch runners - easy to start, good on fuel, and extremely dependable. What more could you ask for? They do have some different characteristics but nothing unusually hard to deal with if you have a tad of knowledge about engines. They are a decent bang for the buck, too.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM
Checklst

Had a plug on a glow engine blow out one time......it did damage the threads.......not something I would even try to send in as a warranty problem. If the top starter thread was messed up and the plug can not be installed on a new (not fired up motor) only then could you ask for a new motor under warranty Only then you could say the factory messed up!.....The owner is responsible for plug install. Sorry to hear of his troubles....

If I ever got a engine with the starter thread messed up form the factory it would be much easer to recut the starter thread with a tap than to send it back....but that's just me.

Last edited by Checklst; 01-31-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what does all of this have to do with the price of tomatoes? What happened to discussing a problem with an engine?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
The original OP never asked a question which left the thread to flounder in most any direction. It was just a "vent" about DL and DLE engines and in fact could have been considered a troll by some. The issues mentioned in the OP were discussed and common fixes were suggested. I would say his "non-questions" were dealt with quickly and directly.

From there, the troll aspect of the OP took over and with the usual "all products made in China are junk" people chimed in and fired up a spirited discussion. A quite typical discussion in most any forum, RCU or otherwise. Regarding RCU in general, I frequent several online forums though I only participate in three. I firmly believe that RCU has as much to offer or even more than most of these forums. RCU lacks the snob factor of some forums and answers here tend to be more to the point. On another forum, just about every engine question regarding a non-DA product is answered by "you should have bought a DA" and I will leave off where the threads degrade from there. At least here the questions get answered!

The only sad thing I can mention about RCU is that after the software upgrades last summer, many of the regular participants seem to have disappeared and I don't see them elsewhere. Maybe they are just lurking out there and uncomfortable with the new format.
this is possibly the BEST POST on this entire thread, I think it sums up what the actual issue is. THANK YOU.

at bare minimum, you can upload photos now and when you type RCUniverse as a URL, you actually get RCUniverse
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Kentli22

the only problem with DLE is that they dont make 4 strokes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 AM
charlie1960

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
He should probably stick with PNP electrics.
Dam that was harsh....
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember to wear your cup in here, Charlie. It gets rough sometimes.

~ Jim ~
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
kerwin50

Finger tight. 1/4 turn. works everytime. Even on a ford triton
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
kerwin50

BTW ford tritons would blow a spark plug even though they'd never been changed and Ford expected the owners to eat the cost.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Ah yes, and they have those 2 piece spark plugs that require a special tool to remove. They would always snap in two when removing them. I think each plug is something like $20?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 AM
R/C Ray
My Feedback: (6)

Hello,

First, let me apologize for not staying up with my post. For some reason I' m not getting notice of the responses on my Email. Just so everyone knows I'm not new to this hobby and have numerous other gas engines. I also restore antique cars that have aluminum heads and I think I know how to install a spark plug. My point is SUPPORT! There is none as far as I'm concerned. When you purchase an engine for over $300, you expect them to stick behind their warrantee. Funny how when your purchasing, a two year warrantee is pushed by the seller,but VERY different when you go to use it! DLE also at one time had an Email address so that you could contact them directly. I can not find that address anymore. If someone has that address, please let me know.

Ray
Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

it's already been said you have a user problem not a engine problem ... if you buy from vallyview they have some great service just fyi ... depends on who you buy from .. on thus who services the engine

Vally view has replaced mufflers under warrenty with no issue .. and my buddys ignition , just saying there are alot i mean alot of DLE user's out there who'm dont share your point of view .. who'm like the engine and have multiple engines

the moral of the story might be DLE isn't the motor for the underexperinced frist time gas user ? ? maybe try your luck with DA or some other company .. but all motor's have littel quark's to them . just looks like your not good at over coming those quarks .. kinda unfair to blame the engine company when you'd probably have same type of issues with any engine out there on the market
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM
R/C Ray
My Feedback: (6)

Zach,

Are you kidding....did you NOT read my post. Here are the gas engines that I own|

2 zenoah G26

2 zenoah G38

ZDZ 40

DLE 55

DL 50

DLE 35RA

thats just the current engines, you can easly double that among over the years. The DLE35RA is the only one that has ever thrown the plug. By the way the engine is in a scale WW1 airplane which is not stressing the engine at all.

Ray.

Last edited by R/C Ray; 02-14-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have even heard of Valley view doing warranty service work on engines that they did not sell! I try to support them as much as I can.

DLE has a website. It should be easy to contact them directly through that. I am sure Google will give you the link you need.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Ray,

I know exactly what you mean. I bought Syssa engines, and paid a premium for them because they were American. For a while things were great, but these days I can't even get any parts from them. I had to go to other suppliers to get a simple carburetor kit, after waiting months for the part he promised to send me. I waited over a year for the last engine I ordered and paid for, and I was supposed to get it "next week," each time I called to check on it. More than a year! That's just ridiculous.

I've sold all but one of them now, and I decided to move on to Valley View, and bought a 40CC opposed twin because of his reputation for good service for years now, and I've had personal experience with that. Buying American is great, if you can trust the American responsible for running the company.

In response to the guy who told me that the spark plug helicoil kit is $90 (it's not even worth going back through the posts to find out who), I just want to point out that anyone can go to Northern Tool and buy a helicoil kit for your spark plug for $9.95 - I knew I'd seen them, so I went and checked it out with my own eyes. They have them right there, hanging on the rack. You can also mail order it from Northern Tool if your town doesn't have a store. Sure, the helicoil kit is Chinese-made. Using a Chinese helicoil for a Chinese head. I'd say that should work out fine.

~ Jim ~
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have even heard of Valley view doing warranty service work on engines that they did not sell! I try to support them as much as I can.

DLE has a website. It should be easy to contact them directly through that. I am sure Google will give you the link you need.
You are right, of course, Google is your friend.

Anyway, if there is any google impaired here, here is the info:

http://www.dle-engines.com/techsupport.html

Gerry
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
kerwin50

Just who did you buy that engine from?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

If you're talking to me, I bought the Syssa engines from Syssa, and the Valley View 40cc opposed twin from Valley View.

~ Jim ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.