Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 02:54 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

The radio quit and I crashed my Waco a while back. Amazingly enough it went in upside down in tall brush and aside from the wings it wasn't damaged. Here's the thing: it didn't even break the prop! I was able to get new wings and get it back in the air.

But even though the prop wasn't broken I've notice the engine seems to run differently now. It still starts as good as ever and runs well but the first flight of the day it almost always quits in flight. I adjust the mixture every time on the first flight of the day but apparently I never get it rich enough and it seems to die lean. After a dead stick landing I richen it up a little and it flies great the rest of the day.

The mixture also seems more "vague" now. The carb setup on these Saito radials has always been weird (with the high needle not doing much of anything and the low needle doing pretty much everything) but now the low needle adjustment can move more than half a turn without affecting much of a change. It was always a little vague but not this much.

I also has started doing something I had to get used to on my big gasser (DLE) airplanes: it does a "deep rpm dive" coming off of full throttle to idle. It did not do this before the crash. This is where it dies in flight - it dives too deep and quits. The idle is set plenty high but it dives on the way down.

Weird. Otherwise, after the first flight (and dead stick) of the day it runs fantastic!

Last edited by mitchilito; 10-13-2023 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:04 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Check the run out on the prop shaft. Replace the prop and remove the spinner if you have one installed. Make sure the fuel tank hasn't moved and replace the fuel lines in the tank as well external lines.
If that doesn't fix it rebuild the carb.
Sparky
Old 10-20-2023, 12:36 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Check the run out on the prop shaft. Replace the prop and remove the spinner if you have one inAllstalled. Make sure the fuel tank hasn't moved and replace the fuel lines in the tank as well external lines.
If that doesn't fix it rebuild the carb.
Sparky
All good advice, Sparky.

I suspect the carb but I know BUPKISS about this weird Saito "pumper" carb and I'm not really looking forward to breaking it open. Unless it gets worse I'm going to live with it.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:50 PM
JieM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FG60R3 carburetor does not have an internal filter (unlike the Walbros). And if small debris or dust enters with the gasoline, it is almost impossible to clean it properly. These impurities then block the internal conduits and prevent correct adjustment of the carburetor.
Only one solution: a lot of patience to clean the carburetor.

JM
Old 11-20-2023, 03:31 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by JieM
The FG60R3 carburetor does not have an internal filter (unlike the Walbros). And if small debris or dust enters with the gasoline, it is almost impossible to clean it properly. These impurities then block the internal conduits and prevent correct adjustment of the carburetor.
Only one solution: a lot of patience to clean the carburetor.

JM
I am depending on the felt clunk that I have in the tank to filter the fuel but I definitely should have a filter up by the carburetor also - which I don't.

It's running well enough at the moment but some day () I'll clean this crazy carb and install a filter also.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:17 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchilito
I am depending on the felt clunk that I have in the tank to filter the fuel but I definitely should have a filter up by the carburetor also - which I don't.

It's running well enough at the moment but some day () I'll clean this crazy carb and install a filter also.
I was running a felt clunk on my FG-21 and fibers from the clunk got into the carb and it was causing all sorts of problems like unable to get a consistant tune, lean runs, etc. The FG-60R3 is the same type of carb. Maybe order a rebuild kit from Horizon and open it up and clean it out.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:53 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchilito

I would not do that if I could give my 2 cents. My experience with additional inline filters in small gassers is that sooner or later larger bubbles of vapour collect in the filtercasing, releasing during high G or negative G manouvres and causing running irregularities at the exact moments you least want them.

Originally Posted by Timbers
I was running a felt clunk on my FG-21 and fibers from the clunk got into the carb and it was causing all sorts of problems like unable to get a consistant tune, lean runs, etc. The FG-60R3 is the same type of carb. Maybe order a rebuild kit from Horizon and open it up and clean it out.
That is weird... I run extremely small gassers (down to .30 cu.in.) and the smaller they get the more senstive they are to even the tiniest of debris.
I have never had any issues with what you mention despite now at least 10 different of these set-ups with the feltclunks I use.

I have experienced problems with feltclunks as sold by HobbyKing and comparable outlets, I use exclusively these: https://i0.wp.com/www.justengines.co...24%2C324&ssl=1 and yet have to have the first issue with them.