Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 04:59 AM
overbuild

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine choice

I plan on buying a 20cc engine to power a 96in. w/s Telemaster and or a scratch built Florio Big Nifty 98in w/s. I am looking for opinions and thoughts on what to buy .
I am thinking a beam mount RCGF 20cc or Valley View brand 20cc or DLE 20cc. Any comments on which to chose and any other brands you might suggest will be gratefully appreciated.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can not really comment of the RCGF, only because I have never run one, but from what I have heard many folks are running them and like them. I have run the DLE-20 and you will most likely get some good comments on the DLE , as their are many being run.

My personal opinion if I were opting for a beam mount, the DLE-20 would be my choice. I do have a OS GT 22 which is also a beam mount scheduled to go into a Seagull Space Walker. As I stated the OS is also a beam mount, but their is quite a distance in pricing between the DLE and the OS.

If you chose not to go with a beam mount, for that size model, I might also opt for a DLE-35 . With the DLE-35 you would have plenty of power for the models mentioned and a good engine for a future model.

Would like to add that I don't believe that you can ever have to much power for a model. In the past I have mostly every time built the model with a larger than required engine. As I know, we have throttle control and very rarely do I need to fly a model at full power.

But then once again, these are only my " personal " thoughts and replies to your info request.

Last edited by Granpooba; 09-26-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 AM
rk212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy forget anything 20cc there just wont be enough there no matter how light you build it. Minimum i would look at 35cc imho
Old 09-26-2014, 06:57 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Coin toss between the DLE and RCGF here. I've run the tar out of both of those. From what I've witnessed, the VV seems to be a good one as well. When it comes to support, the nod would have to go to DLE.

Beyond that, the 20's are pretty much going to limit your prop size to 17". If I were building something the size of what you're considering, I might want to go with something able to swing at least an 18" prop - which leads to the question of why are you considering only beam mount? A Zenoah G26 or even a G38 would do a great job without really over powering.