Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

ATT. Gas engine Gurus OS Max GGT10 CC or 15 CC

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ATT. Gas engine Gurus OS Max GGT10 CC or 15 CC

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:40 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the jury is still out on the 10's, all of them (especially the RCGF, it's BRAND new!), and will be for a couple more seasons as these new engines are in use enough to develop reputations that are based on a consensus of users - not just one or 2, or even 10 guys.

I've been messing with the Evo 10 for a couple of seasons now, looking for best possible sport/3D performance. 2 engines, 4 different planes (and counting). Still not prepared to say anything but that I'm seeing good sport performance - and hesitant to recommend the engine just yet. The 20's really are THAT much better.

The 15's just don't work from a power to weight perspective (speaking from a performance perspective). NONE of them! If you're going to have DLE 20 weight up front, why deal with just a fraction of the power available from the DLE 20? It would make WAY more sense to just go that way...

Re: something smaller from DLE, bring it on! For it to be successful though, it needs to maintain a power to weight ratio one can justify easily.....
Something with a rear exhaust, built in fuel pump, and a choke would be a nice start. Nobody has done that yet either.... -Al
Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Bcolici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 20 ra haven't got to fly it yet, but from my very little experience i really like it.
It's the reason im going gas on this/ my next plane.

+1 on that last part re. a smaller dle.

Thanks to all those that contributed on the gas engine thread. I would of never have been able to do it on my own.
The tuning and throttle linkage geometry was/ is a great help.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Evgeny-arm

My interest in the small gasoline engine began a long time ago.
The first was Webra 15.
It is still like new in excellent condition.
Then there were - SV-17, NGH-9, Evo-10, RCG-20 .

When I bought my first DLE-20 do not remember.
I remember just 3 months after the start of sales.
I have DLE-20RA.
If you face a choice - what to put the engine?
I stop a choice of 10 or 20cc.
15cc for me is the loser.
15cc occupy a niche only when their weight is less than 600gramm.
It really to make.
Just necessary to love what you are doing.
-------------------------------------
Today RCGF-10 flew with propellers 15 series.
With wood screw TF 15x6 I did not like.
Model aircraft flying as a classic.
For 3D it was bad.
But how it changed the flight model propeller APC15x4W I was surprised.
Slow flight with good traction.
The tachometer showed me 8600rpm.
I changed the fuel.
Today I am in the remains of the old fuel poured half on 98 octane.
The Russian gas is different in qualifying.
Now I want to try to fly on propeller APC16x4W.
If the engine speed will drop to 7600 - 7900, it should be great.
-------------------------------------
I was greatly surprised RCGF.
It is the only engine of this company, calling my sympathies.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Bcolici

Evgeny arm, please do keep us updated with the performance of this engine with the different size propellers.
What is the weight of your aircraft?
Also how easy is this engine to tune?
I see it only has one needle screw for adjustment.

Last edited by Bcolici; 07-25-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:56 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the 1 plus the 15cc's have over the dle 20's exist in airframes that can't provide prop clearance for a 20cc and it's prop. Also they are a smaller form factor and in many planes easier to fit in the nose where a .60 size engine would have been a tight fit. Weightwise though as was said before they weigh as much as most 20cc's and that is a minus.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Bcolici

Evgeny-arm, any updates with your rcgf 10??
Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahicks
The 20's really are THAT much better.

The 15's just don't work from a power to weight perspective (speaking from a performance perspective). NONE of them! If you're going to have DLE 20 weight up front, why deal with just a fraction of the power available from the DLE 20? It would make WAY more sense to just go that way...

Something with a rear exhaust, built in fuel pump, and a choke would be a nice start. Nobody has done that yet either.... -Al
Al,
I disagree..... I've found the OS GT15 to have decent stones for up to an 8 1/2 pounder, and 850 squares. Turns a 14x8 apc at considerable rpm, in essence giving my grandson's model unlimited vertical. I really like the OS designed barrel carb with its much more linear response and the pump in the backplate works fine. It's a neat package and because of the pump, no choke needed.

Me too, I'd love to see more rear exhaust configurations coming out for the smaller gassies. I think they just fit in more things without having to carve half the cowl away.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

My OS GGT10 blew up on the second flight. Sent it in to Hobbico. Received a note that they can't fix it. All parts for it a backordered.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
Al,
I disagree..... I've found the OS GT15 to have decent stones for up to an 8 1/2 pounder, and 850 squares. Turns a 14x8 apc at considerable rpm, in essence giving my grandson's model unlimited vertical. I really like the OS designed barrel carb with its much more linear response and the pump in the backplate works fine. It's a neat package and because of the pump, no choke needed.

Me too, I'd love to see more rear exhaust configurations coming out for the smaller gassies. I think they just fit in more things without having to carve half the cowl away.
Matt, not to take away from your point, but I'm left wondering how a DLE20, with nearly Identical weight to the OS 15, would fly that same plane? Which plane is this? It sounds interesting. -Al
Old 08-10-2015, 08:57 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
Matt, not to take away from your point, but I'm left wondering how a DLE20, with nearly Identical weight to the OS 15, would fly that same plane? Which plane is this? It sounds interesting. -Al

They are the same weight.... no disputing that... they are a different form factor though with the 20cc motors being significantly larger than the 15cc motors. So it really depends on the plane.. big wide cowls like an extra300 and you should go with the 20cc... narrower cowls like a p-51 or an ultrasport though and you will be shoehorning the 15cc in and carving up a ton of the front to get a 20cc in the same plane...
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al,
It's TClips. The wing is a little larger than 850 Squares but the weight is right there. The 15cc is larger than spec but heck I just wanted to take a close look.

The only complaint is the heavy clunky muffler. But it's quiet and on my soft rubber mount, it sound like an electric
Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm just passed the one year mark getting back into RC flying. I'm flying nitro to get back to flying. I plan to go gas after that. I have both a GGT 10 and a 15. No run up yet. I built a test stand, Ugly Stik = 15 and Kadet LT-40 = 10. I just fitted the 10 to the LT-40. The LT-40 is a scratch built and I weighed things as I built it with a similated engine weight in the front end. Hopefully I will not have a CG problem. I've been reading all these threads on these engines learning what I can. Looking forward to that first start. Should not be too long.

I do have one question on the GGT10. The engine came with 2 muffler screws and also 2 lock nuts. I cannot figure what the lock nuts are for. Can't find info in manual nor any place on engine where they could attach. What am I missing here? Can't figure this out. Hope it is not something stupid simple.

Thanks to to all the posters here for the good info.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by ETpilot
I'm just passed the one year mark getting back into RC flying. I'm flying nitro to get back to flying. I plan to go gas after that. I have both a GGT 10 and a 15. No run up yet. I built a test stand, Ugly Stik = 15 and Kadet LT-40 = 10. I just fitted the 10 to the LT-40. The LT-40 is a scratch built and I weighed things as I built it with a similated engine weight in the front end. Hopefully I will not have a CG problem. I've been reading all these threads on these engines learning what I can. Looking forward to that first start. Should not be too long.

I do have one question on the GGT10. The engine came with 2 muffler screws and also 2 lock nuts. I cannot figure what the lock nuts are for. Can't find info in manual nor any place on engine where they could attach. What am I missing here? Can't figure this out. Hope it is not something stupid simple.

Thanks to to all the posters here for the good info.
There to mount the fuel pump remotely if you get air bubbles from inadequate cooling etc. No need to thank me , a beer will do . Cheers the pope
Old 08-11-2015, 04:14 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
There to mount the fuel pump remotely if you get air bubbles from inadequate cooling etc. No need to thank me , a beer will do . Cheers the pope
Thank you, thank you, thank you. That clears that up. Somewhere I had read about remotely mounting the fuel pump. Maybe my LT-40 with long range tank will get a beer to you. HUMMMM another problem to work out. Lol
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Bcolici

Originally Posted by rhd-RCU
My OS GGT10 blew up on the second flight. Sent it in to Hobbico. Received a note that they can't fix it. All parts for it a backordered.
How'd that happen???
What size prop, oil mixture, rpm??
Which plane was it powering?
Your thoughts on the engine overall?

I'd like to see some real prop data on these engines
Not a whole lot of feedback on these,sorry for all the questions. Inquiring minds want to know. Lol
Old 08-13-2015, 07:05 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Originally Posted by Bcolici
How'd that happen???
What size prop, oil mixture, rpm??
Which plane was it powering?
Your thoughts on the engine overall?

I'd like to see some real prop data on these engines
Not a whole lot of feedback on these,sorry for all the questions. Inquiring minds want to know. Lol
I was using a 13 X 4 APC prop with 20 to one oil. It was in a profile 40 size 3d plane. It was hardly ever wide open. These planes aren't made to fly fast. I spent the money on this engine figuring in quality and parts available. I was dead wrong. I didn't take the engine apart but it appears something broke loose in the bottom end and went through the piston.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Bcolici

That my thought as well on spending the money on quality when I'm able to.
Thanks for the feedback.

I think im going to go with the rcgf 10,it weighs 11 grams more with a electronic ignition.
Would be nice if it ran well on the G5 plug sans the cdi,would make it lighter than the ggt 10.
Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Bcolici

FYI,
just saw a video of someone running the rcgf 10 on the g5 plug.

Wonder if someone saw it here after my last post? Who knows.
100 rpm less than the ggt 10.

Not much more info on it as far as break in.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Bcolici

Here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpmHnPcW9k