Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Adding a 12" ext to the pick up lead??????? DLE 35 RA

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Adding a 12" ext to the pick up lead??????? DLE 35 RA

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Red Beers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a 12" ext to the pick up lead??????? DLE 35 RA

Will this work? I have a giant big stick that I removed the Fuji 32 and put a DLE 35RA on. I have to add a lot of weight to the nose to make it balance and if I move the electronic ignition back (thus the need for a servo ext) I have more room to move the batteries forward where the fuel tank is.

Thanks Red
Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've done it a couple of times with no problems. Use a new good quality large gauge extension so the connectors will be nice and tight.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Red Beers

Thanks Truckracer.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Beers
Will this work? I have a giant big stick that I removed the Fuji 32 and put a DLE 35RA on. I have to add a lot of weight to the nose to make it balance and if I move the electronic ignition back (thus the need for a servo ext) I have more room to move the batteries forward where the fuel tank is.

Thanks Red
"I have to add a lot of weight to the nose to make it balance". When I see this I start thinking.

In general we balance a model with an empty fuel tank. So take advantage of the fuel pump and move the fuel tank under the CG in the compartment under the wing (where we generally put the receiver and battery). Then you will have lots of room furthest forward for batteries and ignition. You might consider moving the throttle servo forward and a forward choke servo. All these I would do first.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Red Beers

I was able to put the batteries behind the firewall where the fuel tank is. I'm afraid I added around 1 to 2 lbs of weight to make it balance......arrgh! Just guessing don't have a scale.....that will soon change. The DLE is lighter and has twice the HP of the fuji. In hind sight I could have done 2 things; 1) make a stand off firewall like what the fuji was mounted on or 2) got my Evolution 45 out of the box and used the bigger (heavier) motor. Both options are still on the table, but it's finished and balanced, I'll fly it first then decide.

Now before everybody beats me up about adding the weight, the mistake was not realizing the importance of the stand off firewall and making a new one to fit the DLE 35. This will probably happen shortly.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just fly it, it will be fine, though I myself would have put the 45 on it. The Giant Stik has a bunch of wing area and will fly just fine.

I have one that had to have an extensive (and heavy) nose rebuild due to a crash, has a 50cc twin on it, and a heavy smoke system, and it still flies just super. I can drag it in on landing so slow the tail drags the ground first, and dead stick it glides forever. It won't snap unless I deliberately force it to do so.

AV8TOR