Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rcs44b2

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:28 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcs44b2

AS I said I am resurrecting an old engine. I purchased a new RCEXL twin ignition and removed and cleaned the carb. I did not have a rebuild kit that fit but I did have a new diaphragm that fit. I set the timing precisely at 27 degrees BTDC.
The needles are set at 1&1/2 turns open.
The engine will start and idle fine but I cannot get it to throttle up. I took the tank apart and checked everything. The pick up is a felt filter unit I got from a lawn mower shop. However it has sat in a drawer for maybe 6 years.. I am using the three line system.
The fuel line is 1/8 OD and 1/16 ID.
I am thinking that maybe the prop I have is too much for the engine. Its a 20x10. I don't remember what I used to use on it. I think it was a 20x8.
Any Ideas?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If everything else is fine, refusal to throttle up usually indicates a lean condition. Turn both needles out 1/2 turn more and try again. If it will then throttle up, fine tune it from there.

Note that contrary to common belief, there is no such thing as "factory settings" of the needles. They come with a setting that hopefully will allow the engine to start and run, and you MUST fine tune the engine from there.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 09-08-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:52 PM
dirtybird

The needles on that engine are very safe located away from the prop. I tried them all over the place then went back and reset them and started over
I could get it to just about break into a clean two cycle at about 1/2 throttle by richening the needles about 1 turn. If I continued to open the throttle it would quit. I think I will go out tomorrow and let it run for awhile. Maybe it needs to be loosened up.
I do remember when I was running it before I had to carefully adjust the needles to get both cylinders up and running. It probably should have two carbs

Last edited by dirtybird; 09-08-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:14 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=dirtybird;12096284]....
I...QUOTE]

Maybe try a larger size fuel line? Good luck.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:52 PM
dirtybird

[QUOTE=spaceworm;12096537]
Originally Posted by dirtybird
I...QUOTE]

Maybe try a larger size fuel line? Good luck.
Yes I guess I should try that.I got the tank back on the CG so it has a long way to travel. It does act like it is just not getting enough fuel.