Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Dle 85

Old 05-20-2019, 08:25 AM
ron Sweeney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dle 85

Hi all has anybody experienced end float on the crankshaft on a Dle 85. If so how can it be corrected?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ron Sweeney
Hi all has anybody experienced end float on the crankshaft on a Dle 85. If so how can it be corrected?
No but I believe there are adjustment screws on each side of the prop hub to adjust end play / bearing preload. I have never had my 85 apart to investigate exactly how they work but noticed the screws.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 PM
ron Sweeney

Thanks, I have tried using the screws but I believe their purpose is for the removal of the prop hub. When I hardened them up they had little or no effect on the play. It seems as though the inner and outer bearings are spaced too far apart even when closed up. The whole bearing and crankshaft assembly moves in and out when the engine is warm this float is about 3/32 ins. But thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 AM
Truckracer

So you can see the front bearing moving in the case? If the whole crank and bearing assembly are loose in the case, the whole thing will need to be disassembled, cleaned thoroughly and reassembled using a proper grade of green wicking Loctite on the bearing races. Still in warranty?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 AM
ron Sweeney

Hi, yes they move in the crankcase housing. I have reduced this by using a packing shim. I have already stripped, cleaned, degreased and used the best quality bearing fit recommended by a local engineering shop. I had thought that the situation was caused by inadequate cooling of the lower part of the engine since I have a baffle directing the air over the cylinder head (Ziroli P51) but the application of a standard hair dryer is sufficient to allow the bearing/ crankcase fit to slacken. I have about 2 or 3 mm movement and I have been advised that this is Ok. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your input,
Old 05-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Truckracer

If the bearings are loose in the case, they will only get looser with more run time. May have to replace the case. What kind of bearing lock did you use.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 AM
ron Sweeney

Hi, I was given, loktite 270. I heated the casing and measured the for and aft play by gapping the clearance between the prop driver boss and the front of the crankcase front bearing housing. There was 2mm for and aft play. I made a distance piece to take up the play. I have had two flights today with my Ziroli p51 and all seems well with just a barely perceptible play. So I am happy to leave things as they are. Thanks for 6our I put.