Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Dle 20 crankshaft bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 03:04 PM
shane55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dle 20 crankshaft bearings

I have a Dle 20 which runs well but the sound when idling has got a bit noisier, presume the crankshaft bearings are wearing. I notice the same size bearings are available on alixpress for a fraction of the cost of actual dle bearings, Has anyone tried these?
Old 03-18-2023, 05:06 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bearings

I have had an excellent experience buying from Boca Bearings when I needed to replace bearings in my 30+ plus year old Enya. They have bearings for most RC engines, including the DLE 20cc. You select the engine and they say which bearings will fit it. They have already done the matching/pairing homework for you. Try this URL

https://www.bocabearings.com/product...mFeatures=20CC

If that does not work, just google Boca Bearings and go through their web site. They offer a range of bearings from standard to ceramic. The standard two bearing set #ENK176 is $13.64.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc-engine-bearings-econo-kit.Jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2272615
Old 03-19-2023, 08:46 AM
shane55

Originally Posted by LLRCFlyer
I have had an excellent experience buying from Boca Bearings when I needed to replace bearings in my 30+ plus year old Enya. They have bearings for most RC engines, including the DLE 20cc. You select the engine and they say which bearings will fit it. They have already done the matching/pairing homework for you. Try this URL

https://www.bocabearings.com/product...mFeatures=20CC

If that does not work, just google Boca Bearings and go through their web site. They offer a range of bearings from standard to ceramic. The standard two bearing set #ENK176 is $13.64.
Attachment 2272615
Thanks but shipping and customs to Ireland from the US usually makes things prohibitively expensive thats why I was curious about the bearings on alixpress.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:12 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In the past all my gas engines that became noisey and slappy, the cause was the two connecting rod bearings (easy to check the rock at tdc).

Just another possibility. There are 4 bearings, 2 crank and 2 connecting rod.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:17 AM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Customs

Sorry, I didn't think about customs... I was thinking of quality. I know the bearings I bought from Boca Bearings are very good quality... I don't know about Alixpress. I've heard they are a slow boat from China.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:23 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers
In the past all my gas engines that became noisey and slappy, the cause was the two connecting rod bearings (easy to check the rock at tdc).

Just another possibility. There are 4 bearings, 2 crank and 2 connecting rod.
+1

I’ve rarely seen main bearing failures though it was more common in early production engines. Rod bearing failure is far more common and the wrist pin bearing seems to fail more often than the one on the crankpin. Crash damage changes all the rules. Have you had any prop
strikes or crashes?
Old 03-19-2023, 02:14 PM
shane55

Not on Dle's but I've had those roller pin bearing fail on crrc engines in the past. The engine is coming up on 50hrs running so I suppose I should change them out anyway. They can make an awful mess if they come apart during operation. Do the main crank bearings show any symptoms before failing?
Old 03-19-2023, 02:53 PM
shane55

Can the roller pin bearing on the crankshaft be replaced or does it come fixed to the crankshaft as it appears to be here

Old 03-19-2023, 02:53 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shane55
Not on Dle's but I've had those roller pin bearing fail on crrc engines in the past. The engine is coming up on 50hrs running so I suppose I should change them out anyway. They can make an awful mess if they come apart during operation. Do the main crank bearings show any symptoms before failing?
The rubber seals seem to fail before the bearings do allowing the grease to escape. I’ve never had a DLE main bearing fail but I have had other engines fail. Those were DA, Brison and FPE. The DA rear bearing just disintegrated, the Brison and FPE bearings leaked and got rough with time.